Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warren Jeffs ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 04:41AM

I have heard those stories claimedby Mormons.But many including missionaries died in a car accident while wearing their garments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 09:36AM

I wonder if Beneficial Life used a different set of actuarial tables to score rates of mortality because garment-wearers didn’t die at the same rate as regular mortals?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 10:36AM

And they would have been getting that deduction on top of the non-smoking discount! Mormonism. Such a win/win situation!

Date: May 26, 2021 01:08PM

Did they dare to presume (pretend) that the anti-masturbatory stand of the church also extended life?

Date: May 26, 2021 01:33PM

That was covered under the Hairy Palm Clause, I believe.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 10:08AM

Absolutely not.

I clipped a wire from a mesh fence while riding the missionary bike. It scratched my mid thigh, ripped both trouser leg and garment.

I happened to be following a "maniac" ZL who felt inspired to follow the spirit to find some golden investigator. He was crisscrossing streets, doing bunny jumps off curbs/sidewalks and splashing thru mudholes in back alleys.

The dumbass never knew that I had been injured. He finally came back looking for me some 15 minutes later to chew me out. In the meantime, I had applied pressure and used my necktie to stop the bleeding.

The best thing I did was to call the phone number (from a neighborhood mechanic shop) of a senior missionary couple. They came to my location with antiseptic, iodine and a first aid kit.

Date: May 26, 2021 11:00AM

In the temple, I was assured and told in the temple while standing naked during the initiatory ritual.

Wearing the garments will serve as a reminder of the covenants that you will be making and WILL protect you from harm and injury so long as you keep the commandments the lords has given.

And my dickhead companion who climbed over the fence was wearing garments when he was bitten in the ass.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2373925,2373931#msg-2373931

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 11:01AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Ludwig II ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 03:27PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the temple, I was assured and told in the
> temple while standing naked during the initiatory
> ritual.

Funny I don't remember doing initiatory in the nude. And probably no one else does. Maybe the women did. We didn't.

Date: May 29, 2021 10:01PM

Ludwig II Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> messygoop Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In the temple, I was assured and told in the
> > temple while standing naked during the
> initiatory
> > ritual.
>
> Funny I don't remember doing initiatory in the
> nude. And probably no one else does. Maybe the
> women did. We didn't.

Don't try to gaslight me asshole.

Go back to your god damn church and don't attempt to correct my experience. You weren't there. I was.

Date: May 26, 2021 10:24AM

Got over that thought the first day of my mission. Dead cold of winter and all we had was one small space heater and my Senior told me not to get close to the hot elements when I was only in my garments because they could catch fire and melt the nylon onto my skin. Serious business, that. According to him that had already happened to another Elder.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 11:17AM

Absolutely, completely, unrimittingly, and without a doubt
NO NO NO NO NO

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 01:37PM

I remember being told about it many times. There are things I really bought into about the temple like my new name. Lucy killed that idea. This was going to be a huge revelation that God KNEW me. My parents did a much better job. I didn't like my name when I was young. I do now. It is not as common as it was when I was younger.

But my disabled brother likes to think he is a mechanic. My dad taught agricultural mechanics and he wants to be like my dad. So he was under his pickup doing something and there was a sudden flare of fire. His face and hands got burned, but his body didn't. It was bad enough they sent him to U of U, but they only treated him and sent him home.

My mom was talking about how the garments saved his body from being burned and my first thought and statement to her was, "But it burned his head and face. Maybe the garments should cover our heads and faces." My mom would usually reply to me "OHHHHH!" She usually didn't debate me about the church as I was her most devout child and she knew I had thought it out.

This happened quite a while before I left the church.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 03:08PM

All thoughts of any sacred or protective benefits from wearing my garments evaporated when a nevermo noticed the garment line through my pants and asked me if I was wearing a girdle, or when I glanced in the mirror and saw them peaking out of my clothes.

Now that I know the "sacred" symbols stitched into the garments are nothing more than masonic tools of the trade, I don't know why the hell I wore those hideous things.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 05:37PM

No, because I wasn't wearing them when I got baptised at 8.

I never wore them though.

Gross

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 08:06PM

At first...maybe there was some truth. After getting them myself and knowing that the holy ghost had never helped me ever in my life then I had very little faith the garments would do anything.
When I was a believer, I would come here some times and read about garment power threads and also came to the conclusion that garment stories were most likely all tall tail lies.
From my own experience I also knew garments did not protect nor help me out of some situations. I had to do it all by myself and some help from my friends.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 28, 2021 05:38PM

My parents wore theirs faithfully until the day they DIED!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 28, 2021 10:12PM

Seeing my parents in garments wounded my eyes. I swore I'd never wear the things, and I never did.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 30, 2021 11:53PM

My reaction to seeing my parents in theirs was EEEWWW

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 03:16PM

When I was 15 or so, impressionable and way too believing, multiple LDS men and women told of how their garments provided physical protection in various accidents. One was my foster father who worked in a mine and was one of the blasting personnel. He set a bad fuse once, and as he left the shaft, he turned right when the explosive exploded. The force blew him into the air for a hard landing on the ground outside the shaft. He wasn't too badly injured, but noted that there were no bruises or lacerations in the areas covered by his garments. A feckin' miracle, by God! Although he was a kind of jerk, both he and his wife have (still to this day) a childlike belief in the church. So he has a dozen other stories, like when he had a head-on collision while in his VW Beetle, and thanks to his garments, only endured a broken sternum. I tried to insert the fact that he collided head-on with another Beetle, and the driver only sustained a broken leg. That didn't help shock him into reality, because his broken sternum was still a miracle!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 10:14PM

Not I

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 30, 2021 07:45AM

Sure, I believed it. So when a missionary was shot to death in South America, I chalked the failure of garments to stop bullets up to some moral failure on the part of the missionary. Lack of belief, wanking, something that screwed with the magic. Naturally I was critical of the church pulling out all of the missionaries as if they didn’t believe that garments would normally stop bullets. Did they know something I didn’t?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 30, 2021 10:15AM

No, I never believed that. I thought the protection was more of a mental thing. Like if you were about to commit fornication, as the clothes came off, you'd see your garments and they would remind you to stop what you're doing immediately.

I never thought of it as a physical thing.

I had a missionary tell me that he had bruises all over his body after playing soccer, except where his garments were. I gave him a very skeptical sideways glance. I felt very doubtful about what he was saying.

Posted by: willard richards ( )
Date: May 30, 2021 06:01PM

yes

Date: May 30, 2021 08:45PM

Are you currently paying a full tithe?

Posted by: willard richards ( )
Date: June 03, 2021 12:15AM

no

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 03, 2021 12:35AM

I only ask 5% and guarantee your money back if you burn to death at the second coming.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 31, 2021 07:31AM

I have at times wondered if having a belief itself, could make something become true. Kind of like, if you carry a lucky charm around in your pocket and you believe that it will bring you good luck, then maybe it will bring you good luck. I don't believe in the Mormon church anymore and I formally resigned several years ago. But that doesn't change the fact that at one time, I did believe in it.

Shortly after my mission, I had a job framing new houses. I was new and didn't know much about framing houses, including safety. One day, I was using a skillsaw in an unsafe way. The wood that I was cutting seemed to grab the blade and eject the whole tool away from where I was cutting. The blade whirling at neary full speed and the heavy tool that powered it, landed squarely on one of my legs. It all happened so fast that the saw had fallen to the ground before I realized what had happened. My pants were sliced wide open squarely running length wise on the upper portion of my leg for about six inches. The garments underneath had small snag/rip marks intermittently for a length of about six inches. There was no blood. But it left a big bruise from the impact, right where the pant leg had been cut open. The guy next to me said "I saw that happen once before. The guy's leg opened up like a filet of fish". At the time, that seemed like just more proof that the church was true. It seemed uneventful to me at the time since there was a believable explanation as to why I wasn't seriously injured. Looking back, I don't know what to think of it now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2021 07:44AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: June 04, 2021 07:57AM

No,I had a Scoutmaster that was a paramedic. He told us that if anybody ever told you that garments protected you from physical harm then they were lying to you. He said he had seen lots of accident victims that wore garments and they didn’t help them one bit.

Posted by: hgc ( )
Date: June 04, 2021 08:45AM

I don't know if I believed it or not, but I heard many stories when I was young about how garments saved people from injury. I once met a young man, convert, who was burned in a fire that happened in the LDS dormitory at the U of Idaho. He showed me his burn scars on his arms and how there were no burns where his garments had been. He figured it was divine intervention.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.