Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: usedtoknow ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 11:53AM

I'm planning my first trip to Hawaii this year and have looked up the polynesian culture center. It seems like it would be a fun experience but I don't know if I want to support something owned by the church. The price is 150 to 250 a ticket which is steep! Do they try to sell the church to you at the pcc? Because if so I definitely won't waste my time and money. And my parents still say this church is not for profit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 12:29PM

What gets me is the Mormons sexualize women’s shoulders and bodies and require women to cover up at BYU, but if they can charge $250/plate to have half naked Lamanites dance around in grass skirts and coconut bras, then ‘morality’ is relative to how much money they can make off of exploiting the natives.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 12:29PM

They don't try to sell TSCC to you. They figured you've done bought it.

They want to make a profit on you though since they can't make a prophet out of you.

I used to like PCC even I lived in Seattle (Puget Consumers Co-op). PCC in Hawaii?

Polynesians Conned into 'Church'? Pretty Captive Charade

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 12:37PM

What part of the church isn't a rip-off?

IMO, you can probably find a better luau experience from researching websites, or ask the hotel concierge.

"Don't do an ordinary luau! Do a LuWOW!!"

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 12:43PM

Been there, done that, don’t waste your money. There are better museums that are much cheaper and much more entertaining Luaus. Not to mention they try to upsell you the second you set foot on the property. Skip it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 12:43PM by sbg.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:43PM

That was 1983 and it was $45 then. And I was bored to death and it was hot, so I sat in the shade. We went there in a drought year. My gay husband enjoyed it as he could see all the bare chests of the Polynesians dancing. The food wasn't very good. The show at the end of the day wasn't really that good, but I've never liked ANY of the church's programs or whatever it is like Manti Pageant, etc. Dance festivals at BYU. BORING.

We both felt it was a ripoff and wished we had gone to a regular luau. Like others have said, don't waste your money.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:49PM

Imagine having a job where you, as an endowed member, have to strip off your sacred garments and gyrate to music in order to meet the standards set by your bosses.

But then if working at a strip club allows you to give more in tithing, I can see why the church would be okay with it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 03:44PM

I once saw a photo of a very handsome man in a grass skirt. And no, he was not Boyd Packer. If I recall correctly, the gentleman was about missionary age and combined some stylish glasses with a dark and delightsome countenance.

Yet while he may have been a missionary, the photo revealed very little indication of endowment. Which has me wondering whether in the 1950s and 1960s the church sent out missionaries who were not given that fundamental blessing and authority?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 04:25PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: May 27, 2021 06:06PM

Keeping with the Polynesian theme, this may be what Gladys is blathering on about... Women!

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/e78hqk/pday_used_to_be_dday_diversion_day_we_used_to_be/

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 06:08PM

Where are the glasses? Doth memory fail?

They are as conspicuously absent as any hint of priesthood endowment!

Date: May 27, 2021 06:17PM

Heck if know what looking at my half-naked body has done to your now febrile mind!

I wore contacts for the last 15 months of the mission. Maybe you've been ogling photos taken the first nine months? ...wouldn't surprise me...

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 10:04PM

I went through the PCC in the 70s with my family. None of us were Mormon or knew anything about the Mormon church. I was just a kid and my siblings and I snickered when the lava lavas blew up in the wind, exposing a little too much skin. It was a fun experience and my family really enjoyed it.

Fast forward about 10 years and I had converted to the Mormon church and was a student at BYU-Hawaii. I was given a free ticket to the PCC but never used it. I wish I had.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 10:23PM

It was a ripoff in 1989. I can't imagine what they must be charging now.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 28, 2021 12:57PM

The main thing I remember from going there a couple years ago was the Starbucks vending machine they had installed in one of the villages. :-)

Date: May 28, 2021 01:12PM

Do they serve Beer and other delights proscribed by D&C 89??

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 28, 2021 01:32PM

My wife and I went in 1980. Was not nearly that expensive...a better deal is at one of the big hotel lulu's.

Date: May 28, 2021 01:41PM

...you're a big lulu!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 02, 2021 04:02PM

Damn auto correct..meant to say Luau lol

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 28, 2021 07:28PM

CULTural Center is run by a CULT!

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: June 01, 2021 04:54AM

I lived on Oahu while assigned to the 25th Infantry Division from 1983-1985 and never attended a luau. I’ve made up for it on many a return vacation to Hawaii. Here’s what I have to say about the PCC. I’ve been there on a rainy day in winter and a hot summer day in early September. The rainy day was a lot more fun. In 2017, my wife broke a fibula on our anniversary so I pushed her around PCC in a wheelchair about 2-3 months after I had double hernia surgery. It would have been more fun without the wheelchair, for certain.

We have been to luaus at PCC, on the west shore (Germaine’s and Paradise Cove), and in Waikiki at the Royal Hawaiian and at the Hilton Hawaiian Village). All of them cost in the $150-200 range per person but the most fun was Paradise Cove because of the pre luau activities and the most memorable was at the Royal because of its location.

Now, if you do your homework, check out the luau reviews on TripAdvisor. If I were back on Oahu right now, I would pick “Experience Nutridge” in the Round Top Forest Reserve or the “Tau Luau” in Waimea Canyon. Those luaus are at the top of the list on TripAdvisor, each with five stars.

Well, that’s my two cents, based on 13-14 Oahu vacations and counting.

Posted by: Katzleenika ( )
Date: June 03, 2021 01:54AM

So you go to PCC, and you take your mom and pop and your two older teenagers, and the bill comes to $1,500.00?

What's a hamburger cost in there?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.