Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:31PM

https://youtu.be/zvqTC4nQkog

MORmONism is the whackiest religion on planet Earth, besides Scientology.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:39PM

Were it possible to assemble a quorum of suitable voters, I submit that mormonism wouldn't even be in the running for even an honorable mention, in terms of whacked-out, whacked-up, whacky-whack, religions.

You just happen to take mormonism very personally.

Date: May 27, 2021 01:45PM

That was Joe Rogan’s assessment, not mine.
I just thought it was funny that he’d single out MORmONism as being the most absurd. I think JWs are more delusional than Mormons and I’ve got the studies to back it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance_of_evolution_by_religious_groups

That’s the BIG difference between me and you.
I can back up what I say.
You can’t.

Date: May 27, 2021 01:52PM

There's nothing you can't do, ad hoc and ad hominem!

I especially liked the "BIG"! It set the tone. And you ended with such finality. <shudder>

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 03:52PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That was Joe Rogan’s assessment, not mine.

It would help, in that case, if those words were inside quotation marks. Otherwise, how can a reader tell that is not your own comment? Which is what it looks like when there's no indication that it's a quote from another source. Just saying.

> I just thought it was funny that he’d single out
> MORmONism as being the most absurd. I think JWs
> are more delusional than Mormons and I’ve got
> the studies to back it up.

It's a matter of opinion, of course, but unwittingly (or unthinkingly) I tried out both JWs and Mormons. Didn't care for either, in the end. At least the JWs lay out their program for a would-be convert in advance. They don't **want** people to convert and then leave. Unlike Mormons who operate on the principle of baptism asap and no questions later, or at least that was my experience and observation. And the Mormons try to guilt you into submission when you do have questions after. So it's a bait-and-switch too in that they promise answers later for baptism today, yet scorn you when you ask questions after your dunk, because you're not showing faith. Or something like that. It's weird and wacky, no doubt.

The Mormons win the wacky world contest too when compared to JWs in terms of beliefs. I found JW theology to be simple, straightforward, comprehensible and, as a young idealistic teen, quite appealing (humankind messed up, we can start over again in Paradise - what's not to like). Starting with JS and the visions in the woods and the wacky glasses and the other men's wives thing and polygamy and printing presses and the golden trumpet - it gets really weird pretty fast.

Of the two of them, both of which I joined (after not enough research, obviously) JWs made way more sense to me and was a far better experience. Leaving and losing my friends hurt but the beliefs themselves did not. With Mormonism, everything hurt. Including how bad I felt about myself for being such a dupe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 03:54PM by Nightingale.

Date: May 27, 2021 03:56PM

Plus, how weird is it that Joe Rogan spells mormonism the same way The Cat does.

And to be consistent with The Cat, I used his version of whacky, but I prefer the younger, more hip spelling, wacky. But both are unacceptable to anyone with an ax to grind.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 04:20PM

I'm just amused that the Feline gets his news analysis from the same source as my 13 year old daughter.

Date: May 27, 2021 04:35PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I'm just amused that the Feline gets his news
> analysis from the same source as my 13 year old
> daughter.

I only listen to short clips of Joe Rogan’s with guests that interest me, like this ExMormon, or Elon Musk, or Roger Penrose. I like to hear Joe Rogan interview those guys because he doesn’t care if he gets cancelled. He can’t get cancelled.
I like to hear from people who are not afraid to speak truth and have honest conversations.
Maybe you should try that with your daughter so she doesn’t find a muscle bound meat head more interesting than her mom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 04:37PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: May 27, 2021 04:44PM

"not afraid to speak the truth" is a lovely sentiment. Every liar (Not saying The Cat is) claims that character trait.

"have honest conversations" reminds me of those YouTube Hitler clips in which the German being uttered by the actors is wackily translated in the sub-titles, so that you have Hitler is angry and upset because word has been received that Dairy Queen is closing some of its franchise locations and he is going to miss having the occasional 'blizzard'.

"I don't care if I get canceled because I can't get canceled" is now in the running for the title of my upcoming federal tax audit.

Date: May 27, 2021 04:49PM

> I like to hear Joe
> Rogan interview those guys because he doesn’t
> care if he gets cancelled. He can’t get
> cancelled.

Right. Joe Rogan's beyond commercial considerations. You got that right.

--------------
> I like to hear from people who are not afraid to
> speak truth and have honest conversations.

Joe Rogan was speaking truth when he urged young people not to get vaccinated? Yeah, that was "truth;" that was "honest." So too when he complained about white men being silenced. That was truth.

Right?

-------------
> Maybe you should try that with your daughter so
> she doesn’t find a muscle bound meat head more
> interesting than her mom.

A bit of projection there, S-Cat? Is that why you watch Rogan?

That and truth, of course, since Rogan is all about truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 04:53PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: May 27, 2021 05:39PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> > I like to hear Joe
> > Rogan interview those guys because he doesn’t
> > care if he gets cancelled. He can’t get
> > cancelled.
>
> Right. Joe Rogan's beyond commercial
> considerations. You got that right.
>
He is subscriber supported.
So is Bill Maher.
That’s why I like both of them.
And Jon Oliver and Dave Chapel and a lot of people doing their own thing on the internet or commercial free platforms.
They don’t fear the cancel CULTure mobs.
I don’t think any one of them are liars or racists.
I think comedians are some of the best social commentators because they are free to say whatever they want and don’t have to be polite or nice.

> --------------
> > I like to hear from people who are not afraid
> to
> > speak truth and have honest conversations.
>
> Joe Rogan was speaking truth when he urged young
> people not to get vaccinated? Yeah, that was
> "truth;" that was "honest." So too when he
> complained about white men being silenced. That
> was truth.
>
> Right?
>
I think Joe is a muscle bound meat head who has taken way too many drugs and blows to the head, but he is still funny and asks provocative questions.
I don’t take medical advice from muscle bound meat heads and I think if you do, then you deserve to suffer the consequences.
> -------------
> > Maybe you should try that with your daughter so
> > she doesn’t find a muscle bound meat head
> more
> > interesting than her mom.
>
> A bit of projection there, S-Cat? Is that why you
> watch Rogan?
>
> That and truth, of course, since Rogan is all
> about truth.

I watch Rogan on occasion because he interviews interesting, intelligent people about current affairs that I am trying to process myself, so I appreciate his guests observations. His, not so much, although he offers comic relief from Roger Penrose explaining black holes, right before picking up his Nobel Prize for his math confirming Einstein’s prediction of black holes was accurate, which only took 100years.

Date: May 27, 2021 06:02PM

You see, by associating yourself with the cancel canard you make yourself a racist.

Why? Because the pale folk that are complaining want to perpetuate their longstanding cancellation of African-American and Native American culture.

You can’t keep keep arguing that you, like Maher and Rogan, want to perpetuate the white supremacist narrative while also claiming to want other ethnicities to enjoy equality. You cannot elevate and suppress at the same time.

I wish you could see the logical cul-de-sac into which your totally honest guides have led you.

Date: May 27, 2021 06:24PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> You see, by associating yourself with the cancel
> canard you make yourself a racist.
>
> Why? Because the pale folk that are complaining
> want to perpetuate their longstanding cancellation
> of African-American and Native American culture.
>
> You can’t keep keep arguing that you, like Maher
> and Rogan, want to perpetuate the white
> supremacist narrative while also claiming to want
> other ethnicities to enjoy equality. You cannot
> elevate and suppress at the same time.
>
> I wish you could see the logical cul-de-sac into
> which your totally honest guides have led you.

How am I ‘associating myself with cancel culture’?
By listening to people who can’t be cancelled?
You do realize Bill Maher was cancelled from network TV right after 9-11, for telling the truth, right?

Date: May 27, 2021 06:49PM

When those guys, ever desirous of a new provocative and hence remunerative angle, turned against cancel culture and wokeness, whatever that is, you endorsed those their views. That it contradicted other opinions you have espoused apparently failed to register.

Date: May 27, 2021 08:55PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> When those guys, ever desirous of a new
> provocative and hence remunerative angle, turned
> against cancel culture and wokeness, whatever that
> is, you endorsed those their views. That it
> contradicted other opinions you have espoused
> apparently failed to register.

They were never ‘Woke’ and were never for silencing anybody’s speech. They are defenders of free speech, especially comedy, which is a beautiful American institution.
Thank God Particle it hasn’t been completely killed by the ‘woke CULT’!

Date: May 27, 2021 09:10PM

Your ability to misunderstand a post is astounding.

Date: May 27, 2021 06:52PM

> You do realize Bill Maher was cancelled from
> network TV right after 9-11, for telling the
> truth, right?

You think Maher cares about the truth, and you believe the loss of his show was somehow financially disadvantageous.

How very droll.

Date: May 27, 2021 08:51PM

Yes I do think he cares about truth, which is why he got canceled 20yrs ago, for speaking truth, the 9-11 Hijackers were not cowards. Evil, sure. Cowards, no.

Date: May 27, 2021 09:17PM

Maher made a career out of getting "cancelled." He made a killing out of it. What is it about that which you cannot understand?

The fact remains that when your thought leaders denounced "cancel culture," they turned against not only the rights of historically oppressed people but also historical truth. I wish you were bright enough to realize that you have joined them in suggesting that there should be no attempt to give equal time to the contributions of black people to American history and the tragedies that befell Native Americans, Japanese Americans, and others.

In short, you are now arguing that the statues of Confederate Leaders should remain in the public square. It is an immoral position, an ahistorical one, and I don't think you really believe it. But at some point you need to realize you've been led down the primrose path by people who are motivated solely by the desire for fame and money.

Don't model your life and values on cartoon characters.

Date: May 27, 2021 10:57PM

I don’t model my life after comedians or anybody else.
But I do pay attention to what is being said on the most popular podcast on the internet and the best political program on TV over the past 19yrs.

Date: May 27, 2021 11:20PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> I don’t model my life after comedians or anybody
> else.

Then why do you parrot their lines? Maher spends years criticizing racial stereotypes and bad history, then turns on a dime and assails "cancel culture." He knows why he is doing that and feels the tergiversation is justified in terms of what matters to him. You, however, follow him without even realizing that you are contradicting yourself--and you gain no compensation therefor.

----------------
> But I do pay attention to what is being said on
> the most popular podcast on the internet and the
> best political program on TV over the past 19yrs.

Please read what you just wrote, please memorize it. What you have done is explain that Maher's departure from network TV was motivated by money and fame, as I asserted, and not by dedication to principle, as you fatuously argued. The same is true of Maher's recent hypocrisy regarding "woke" thinking and "cancel culture."

He's getting paid massively for his brand of slightly edgy hypocrisy. You, however, don't even know that your fly is open.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 11:26PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 09:29PM

<<How am I ‘associating myself with cancel culture’?>>

By bringing up people like Dave Chapelle.

You racist :)

Date: May 27, 2021 11:06PM

jay Wrote:
> <>
>
> By bringing up people like Dave Chapelle.
>
> You racist :)

Practically every comedian I know of is concerned with the effect cancel culture has had on comedy. Comedians are no longer welcome to host award shows like the Oscars or any other award show. No comedian is welcome on college campuses these days. Even black Comedians like Dave Chapelle and Martin Lawrence are not welcome on college campuses. Jews like Jon Stewart are no longer welcome. I’ve heard all of them complain about the chilling effect of Woke CULTure on freedom of speech. ‘No one is woke enough.’ Dave Chapelle
https://youtu.be/AaJ16z5I69A

Date: May 27, 2021 11:21PM

You take comedians seriously, don't you.

Date: May 27, 2021 04:42PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Plus, how weird is it that Joe Rogan spells
> mormonism the same way The Cat does.
>
> And to be consistent with The Cat, I used his
> version of whacky, but I prefer the younger, more
> hip spelling, wacky. But both are unacceptable to
> anyone with an ax to grind.

My phone just auto corrects MORmON, which I got no problem with or I’d go back and change it. I’ve already explained why I choose to capitalize MORmON the way we do here, because it kinda fits, when MORmONs are 2nd only to White (Supremacist) Evangelicals in terms of buying the big lie.

Date: May 27, 2021 04:50PM

I'm just trying to make the point, along with Ms. Nightingale, that at first, second, and third glances, the basic rules of written general conversation indicated that those were not someone else's words, but rather were your own.

There is a 'convention' that when you are quoting someone, you use...what the heck do they call them...damn it...it's on the tip of my tongue...

Oh yeah, quotation marks!! Then people can tell, "Oh, those aren't his words, they're someone else's!"

While I'm at it, congratulations on the paragraphing! Your posts are lookin' good!

Date: May 27, 2021 04:55PM

Thanks to all the punctuation Nazis out there!

Date: May 27, 2021 04:58PM

and thank you for being true to yourself.

Date: May 27, 2021 05:00PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> and thank you for being true to yourself and Joe Rogan!

Consider your sentence fixed.

Date: May 27, 2021 05:09PM

I figured if you bothered to click on the link and listen you’d figure out what it was about, but I don’t know the ExMo guest Joe is interviewing but he was obviously ExMormon and somewhat knew what he was talking about. I just thought it was interesting that the guy with the biggest podcast on the internet thought MORmONism was the whackiest religion on the planet.

I don’t think it is.

I was Muslim and they actually threaten to lop off your head if you ever turn your back on Mohamed, before they accept you into Islam.
Mormons just make you pretend to slash your own throat if you ever turn your back on Joseph Smith, after they accept you.

Totally less whacked!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 08:20PM

'Punctuation Nazi' would be if I said you should have included a comma or a capital letter here or there. As EOD said, use of quotation marks is more an expected practice in order to enhance a reader's comprehension of a writer's words. Which is illustrated by the fact that I thought those were your words. I shouldn't have to click on the link to find out you were quoting someone without attribution.

As for use of the word 'Nazi' in reference to something other than Nazis, I think that diminishes the import of an ugly and specific name that should be reserved solely for literal Nazis. But language choices, obviously, are entirely up to each individual.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 08:23PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 05:46PM

Spelling it "MORmON" via auto correct is an obvious indicator there no obsession with the religion and that nothing has been taken personal. Move along folks.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 09:50PM

Milk before meat, or bath water before BS.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 28, 2021 01:30PM

Yeah, well...

A SUPERBOWL commercial: real life experiences of exmo's, ACTED OUT, and then short stories (not short enough) of How Mormonism Actually Is.

Then there is this seasons 'TRUE Mormon Reality Stories' tell-a-vision show! Produced by and featuring people TRAPPED or FORCED into Mormonism as children/ youth, coaxed and prodded, usually begrudgingly, into an endless routine of Endless Toil and all-round IGNORANCE: ignoring what's around you to create a separate, dull life of "'church' WORK", bullied, badgered, belittled and hounded, tormented and tortured, forced to endure false narratives and captivated to do the work of dead people, and living people (many who are dead to the world) only worried about themselves... and their cult misleaders/ reps.

There will be a few dozen of us. Who's in? It ain't a sin! Let The Games Begin-

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 05:49PM

Why not type out moron?

Seems like it would be easier.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 06:00PM

Words take on new meaning when you spell them the hard way. And anything that is hard to do is better. Whether we know it or not, we've been helped.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 04:57AM

SC is even trying to help us when he leaves white space out of his posts. Our doing things that are pointlessly difficult builds character.

Which reminds me, I thought Joe Rogan was a hair loss treatment for blue collar white guys. I’ve never heard of him. I’m inclined to keep it that way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.