Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gidia ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 03:46AM

Do modern people want to be married for Eternity. I think most don't. They can only handle a marriage of 5-10 years and want to move on to the next person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 06:02AM

I think people grow apart. One finds enlightenment, the other doesn’t. One steers to heaven, the other to hell. That might be a good thing about Mormonism. It keeps you both down in the mud.

A guy’s world is an alien landscape to women, so I’ll try to explain. Men don’t leave for trivial reasons. They leave because they have to. You might not understand the reasons.

Were you hurt? If so, I’m sorry. The pain is pretty bad. It makes you wonder if life is worth it. If people are worth it. It is and they are. Don’t give up on love. Would love ever give up on you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2021 06:10AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 12:17PM

"I think people grow apart. One finds enlightenment, the other doesn’t. One steers to heaven, the other to hell. That might be a good thing about Mormonism. It keeps you both down in the mud."

I do agree that people can grow apart, but it's not necessarily the case that marriage partners are choosing morally different paths. Any number of reasons can underlie people drifting apart - not the least of which can be that they didn't realize that they weren't all that compatible to begin with.

"A guy’s world is an alien landscape to women, so I’ll try to explain. Men don’t leave for trivial reasons. They leave because they have to. You might not understand the reasons."

This is an incredibly sexist statement, if not naive. Of course some men leave for trivial reasons as do some women. Painting an entire gender with one brush makes no sense.

"Were you hurt? If so, I’m sorry. The pain is pretty bad. It makes you wonder if life is worth it. If people are worth it. It is and they are. Don’t give up on love. Would love ever give up on you?"

Where does Gidia say that this applies to them specifically? It's an observation about the state of modern marriage - and more specifically, since it hasn't been pointed out, modern Western marriage.

The trope you cite of "Would love ever give up on you?" is absolute codswallop. Of course, love gives up on people. People fall in love with the wrong people; people fail to find the right people; people lose their feelings over time; people lose their actual partners. To try to do a "no true Scotsman" by pushing off "love" to some abstraction misses the point that without the participants, the abstraction is moot.

Tyson

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 12:22PM

You’re just saying that to be nice, but thanks for the complement

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 09:28AM

I wonder if any woman, ever in history, wanted to be married for eternity. That’s a long time to be someone else’s property.

As for modern people, I wonder if they want to get married at all. As for duration of relationships, a lot of young people don’t want they same job, let alone partner, for more than five years. The days of the 25 year gold watch, or a silver-themed trinket for the spouse, are over, it seems.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 10:24AM

I don't think so. it is a pleasant dream for the totally mind controlled cult person and gives feelings of security to some but since it is a phony concept going in and actually doens't exist I say not

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 11:54AM

Must be a generational thing. Married 61 years this July and wish I was just beginning.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 12:13PM

Since my marriage didn't last, I realized some years after he left that I was glad he left. I have been with my boyfriend for 16 years, but we don't live together and we had a long distance relationship for about 6 years. I NEED my time to myself. I don't need a boss. AND I don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't spend on my children.

I guess I was single too long before I got married the first time.

I wanted children and I'm glad I had them.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 12:28PM

Whether in Mormonism or out, I think most people in the thrall of getting married conceive of marriage as a "forever" rite. There's a lot of romanticism marketed in the idea modernly of getting old together, dying together, and perhaps seeing one another again together in heaven.

Even for Christians whose particular beliefs don't include eternal marriage properly spoken, the notion of "till Death do us part" comes across more as formulaic blather rather than a meaningful termination of the status of marriage.

In the United States of first marriages that end in divorce, the average length of those marriages is about 8 years; however, only 41% of first marriages end in divorce - which means that 59% of first marriages actually end in death of the spouse.

Of course, the percentage of the adult population who are married continues to decline, and that may be a more telling statistic.

Tyson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2021 12:31PM by Tyson Dunn.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 03:37PM

>>Of course, you have to go back to the question of what Eternity even means.

I don't think that eternity means endless time. I think it refers to an afterlife, non-physical realm where the concept of time is meaningless.

In such a realm, I think that you are with the people with whom you *want* to be with.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 01:31PM

They should be selling it as, "You can be married forever IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT."

Instead, it's, "Unless you want to end up in Loser Heaven, you HAVE TO BE MARRIED FOREVER (and have a lot of kids)."

Date: June 10, 2021 01:32PM

Or, rather, if that's what you BOTH want.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 01:57PM

What exactly would eternal marriages be like? In this life people marry and build families, homes, financial security, etc. What do you do in a marriage when you'll never die, never be hungry, don't need money, etc.

Do they go house hunting for their next celestial mansion in a nicer celestial neighborhood?

Do they save celestial money for their next celestial vacation? Or maybe just for a quick trip to a lesser kingdom to meet up with a friend that left the church....but was still a good person?

Do they shuttle the kids to celestial T-ball games and swim meets?

What do they do? What is there to work and prepare for?

I don't get it.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 02:31PM

They do, until they are

;-D

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 03:26PM

From the male perspective, Elohim believes in Open Marriage, in that he is open to marrying anyone who will have him.

Or just maybe JoJu decided to teach this since it allowed him to follow the path of his choosing.

Do we even know how much a Celestial Wife 'grows', compared to the 'growth' of her mate, as he ascends into ghawdhood? If she never gets the priesthood, how can she possibly be either a ghawdess or the equal of her husband?

And what's involved in bearing and rearing spirit babies?

...And while I'm at it, who gets the contract for paving my heaven's streets with gold?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 03:45PM

>> ...And while I'm at it, who gets the contract for paving my heaven's streets with gold?

Dentists of course. Why do you think there are so many mormon dentists? Who's going to pull all those teeth to get the gold fillings to pave the streets?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 04:43PM

What if we were sealed "for eternity" to someone on earth, then die and go to heaven where the "veil is lifted" and remember all the spirits we hung out with before becoming mortals on earth. All of a sudden we remember the spirit we spent a lot of time with and were very fond of. Maybe in the pre-existence we promised to somehow find each other again. A happy union is impossible though because we're sealed to someone else and have to be with them for eternity. Eternity becomes hell.

I don't really like the idea that everything that happens during this very short time on earth affects our eternal lives.

Date: June 10, 2021 05:14PM

heartbroken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eternity becomes hell.

Yeah, it makes post-mortal nonexistence sound like the better deal.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 05:45PM

I agree. I read in an old book about spiritualism the theory that in the afterlife eternity becomes so overwhelming that people choose to have a human experience on a planet where life is finite, just to experience the comfort of finality.

Eternity really must be monotonous and overwhelming. Maybe that's why Gods create planets and put living things on them and then watch what happens - - kind of like an ant farm or something for their entertainment.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 09:43AM

I really feel what you are saying here.. In a post above you said, "I don't really like the idea that everything that happens during this very short time on earth affects our eternal lives."

That has haunted me since I was a kid trying to wrap my head around all of this plan of 'salivation' thing. How can 77 trips around the sun on average give us the where with all to know what we want for the next infinite trips around the sun (and I can only use that as a gauge for time since that is all I have for time comparison)? And also like you said, what if there are cooler people I've met along the way or knew prior to the finite experience that I would really rather hang out with? Or what if I want to go hang out with some of my spirit cousins that were not of Elohim's realm but of God Uncle's realm? Would that cause another stir in the heavens? Too many what-ifs and unknowns and can't proves and theory and hopes... I don't care. I cannot care without going insane. I think the idea of being married for eternity falls into the hell category at this point. I think it was Stephen Fry when going through Temple Square and being told by the guides the Mormons believe we can be with our families forever. He speaks up and asks, "And what do you get if you're good?"

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 10:11PM

It will all be worked out in the millennium.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 05:33PM

Gidia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do "modern" people want to be married for "Eternity"[?] I think most don't. They can only handle a marriage of 5-10 years and want to move on to the next person.

That is an ETERNITY for most people.

This "eternity" doesn't come anyway. It's a future thing, the way you're thinking/ speaking of it. Can't live in the future! Just in the now- that's how it's processed, or broken down, anyway.

Living in the Now, your 'eternity' unfolds, unrolls, or unravels...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 10:12PM

Not so much eternal marriage as being sealed to a family you couldn't stand.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 09:52AM

Preaching "Married for time and eternity" is a cruel joke to young Mormons. Young Mormon couples buy into this nonsense before they've had any married or life experiences. If the LDS church wants to sell this absurdity, then peddle eternal marriage after the marriage has lasted 50 years and is a happy one.

Posted by: TopperToppington ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 12:27PM

I don't want anything for eternity. No amusement park, no matter how entertaining, would be enjoyable forever. NO thanks. The nothingness of death (like the nothingness before life) is just fine with me.

TopperToppington (Dogs are better than cats).

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 01:42PM

If I have to be sealed to something for eternity I'd like it to be German Chocolate Cake.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.