Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 06:00PM

Hahaha please read this.
https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=2652231&itype=CMSID

Not every woman believed in the new and everlasting covenant of polygamy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 07:53PM

Hot drinks are not for the body, or belly; Only for the face.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 10:34PM

That's why women aren't allowed to hold positions of authority in SCC, decisions made without out any reservations or hesitancy.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 10:46PM

...wasting coffee that way...

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 12:02AM

Too bad it wasnt McDonalds coffee.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 02:48AM

Starbucks!

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 05:25PM

lisadee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad it wasnt McDonalds coffee.

The Lawsuit concerning McDonalds coffee being too hot did result in them reducing the temperature it is served at.

If you actually read the reasoning - it is logical.

Many burns from the scalding coffee. All its major competitors had lower temperature coffee.

The "excess award" was the profit McDonalds made on coffee sales worldwide for ONE day.

News stories went for headlines, not reality.

While we are at it. Brigham had coffee thrown in his face - Emma Smith poisoned Joseph Smiths coffee... twice.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 06:12PM

JoeSmith666 Wrote:
> Emma Smith poisoned Joseph Smiths
> coffee... twice.

Do you have evidence of that?

Date: June 14, 2021 08:55PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> JoeSmith666 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Emma Smith poisoned Joseph Smiths
> > coffee... twice.
>
> Do you have evidence of that?

In the October session of General Conference 1866, Brigham Young made these comments:

..."To my certain knowledge, Emma Smith is one of the damnedest liars I know of on this earth; yet there is no good thing I would refuse to do for her, if she would only be a righteous woman; but she will continue in her wickedness. Not six months before the death of Joseph, he called his wife Emma into a secret council, and there he told her the truth, and called upon her to deny it if she could. He told her that the judgments of God would come upon her forthwith if she did not repent. He told her of the time she undertook to poison him, and he told her that she was a child of hell, and literally the most wicked woman on this earth, that there was not one more wicked than she. He told here where she got the poison, and how she put it in a cup of coffee; said he 'You got that poison from so and so, and I drank it, but you could not kill me.' When it entered his stomach he went to the door and threw it off. he spoke to her in that council in a very severe manner, and she never said one word in reply. I have witnesses of this scene all around, who can testify that I am now telling the truth. Twice she undertook to kill him. ( 6-8 Oct 1866, 36th Semi-Annual Conference, Bowery, G. S. L. City. [Deseret News Weekly 15:364, 10/10/66, p 4-5 and 15:372, 10/17/66, p 4-5; MS 28:764, 774]) off-site

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/answers/Emma_Smith/Relationship_with_the_Church_after_Joseph%27s_death/Brigham_Young

Date: June 14, 2021 09:44PM

Thank you.

I'd need to see something more to be persuaded. Emma and Brigham were enemies both during Joseph's final years and particularly during the succession crisis. He tried to blacken her name, and that of others who had crossed him, on many occasions. Moreover the source is an unsubstantiated speech by Young more than 20 years after the supposed events in which he offers hearsay evidence for his assertion.

He describes the meeting as a "secret" one in which only Joseph spoke but then contradictorily contends there were numerous witnesses who could confirm his account. So which was it--a secret meeting or a well-attended one? And why is there no evidence that any of the supposed witnesses ever spoke of the event?

I don't think we can take anything Young said as true unless it is independently verified. But there is no verification. This would seem to matter because in 1866 the conflict over legitimacy between Brigham's Utah Mormons and the Reorganites, led with Emma's support by Joseph Smith III, was intense. In other words Young had every incentive to malign the founders of the Midwestern church.

Why is there no evidence of the supposed poisonings until decades later, when Young was trying to discredit Emma and Joseph III? Where are the other witnesses?

Date: June 16, 2021 07:31AM

Date: June 16, 2021 02:30PM

But that too is based on sources that are both biased and decades after the fact. Emma may have tried to poison Joseph but I don't think the evidence on that score is reliable one way or the other.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 01:24AM

What was his face doing there?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 09:48AM

"James asked his prophet to talk to Mary and get her permission before he joined the ranks of Mormon polygamists. When he obliged, Mary thought about it for a second, picked up her cup and threw her coffee in Young's face, saying, 'This is my answer.'

Brother Brigham went out of the house, dried himself off and said: 'James, you have all the wives you can handle.' "

I like Mary's spirit! Brigham seemed to have a habit of sticking his nose into everyone else's business. At some point that got baked into the culture of the church.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 11:22AM

This explains the prohibition on *hot* drinks.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 05:36PM

If BY's eyes were scalded to the point of being at least temporarily blind, would he still be able to see with his 'mind eyes'?

Date: June 15, 2021 01:34PM

Gordon B. Stinky Wrote:
> This explains the prohibition on *hot* drinks.

Lol who knows.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 16, 2021 10:26AM

tumwater wrote: "would he still be able to see with his mind eyes"?

Well, of course he would! He listened to Martin Harris who said he said the gold plates "as a city through a mountain".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.