Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 08:38PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/06/14/lds-church-donating/?fbclid=IwAR308xzleeXQyCGWeQJtNTpoFCXzXv8sozlBPv8kRux0a4EAhXikUd4DxNg

Get a load of this PR move the boys down in PR said the top brass really needed to run this week!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 10:16PM

This bugged me:

"The Utah-based faith also will provide $250,000 in one-time financial backing for an Amos C. Brown Student Fellowship to Ghana, Nelson said, and hopes the experience 'will allow selected students from the USA an opportunity to learn more about their heritage.'"

My interpretation of this is that American-born Blacks will be "selected" (no standard of selection is measured) and flown to Africa (specifically Ghana?) so that they can learn about their heritage.

If this were actually the case, then the unstated method of "selection" would have to include genetic testing, so that only American Blacks with genetic 'ties' to that portion of Africa could participate.

Here's where I think it's stupid and thus subject to examination as to the actual reasoning/motive behind this: My genetic inheritance is mostly Northern Mexico Indo-American. I spent two full summer vacations in my dad's hometown in Sonora, so I have hazy memories of the land and even hazier memories of the people.

But, like the American Blacks with Ghana-ese genetic heritage, I know very, very little about the land of my supposed origin. And I don't think it's particularly weird that I have zero interest in "returning" to my genetic homeland!

Maybe the "selected students" are going to be LDS missionaries? I wouldn't put it past them. The church already pays African youth to 'serve' two-year missions.

In my mind, were I an independent-minded American Black, I wonder what the hell the NAACP leadership is doing cozying up to the mormon church. I'd be very suspicious of NAACP leaders who did so, and I'd check their bank accounts.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 10:51PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> In my mind, were I an independent-minded American
> Black, I wonder what the hell the NAACP leadership
> is doing cozying up to the mormon church. I'd be
> very suspicious of NAACP leaders who did so, and
> I'd check their bank accounts.

I've exhausted my free STLTrib articles, so I post with only your info, Worthy Mutt.

The NAACP could be cozying up to TSCC because the latter has money. They could see this as the first installment. Although not necessarily the NAACP's agenda, it could pave the way to later deals.

OTOH, TSCC could be cozying up to the NAACP, seeking to buy validation in these racially contentious times.

It could be nothing more than a shakedown camouflaged by philanthropy.

For all I know, they could actually be trying to do some good!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 10:28PM

Why stop there? The church’s temple clothing is in desperate need of an African garb makeover.

Does this mean that inter-racial couples should not be put to death?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2021 02:27AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 12:40PM

The general authorities... Color them guilty. I think they are just trying to buy some good vibes from the Black community. It changes nothing. Nelson is still a racist, so long as he doesn't repeal and expunge the whole prior racism by the church, and apologize for the sick doctrine.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 01:30PM

You're asking ghawd's mouthpiece to apologize for ghawd? That would be a lie.

Because ghawd NEVER says, "Oops! Sorry 'bout that!"

Being a ghawd means never having to you're sorry.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 01:28PM

Wouldn’t it be a lot cheaper and more effective to say “We’re not racist!” by just redacting the racist, white supremacist verses from your scriptures, instead of bribing the leaders of the NAACP to appear in a photo-op?

BOOK of MORMON

1 Nephi 11:13 (Mary) “she was exceedingly fair and white.”

1 Nephi 12:23 (prophecy of the Lamanites) ” became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.”

1 Nephi 13:15 (Gentiles) “they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people [Nephites] before they were slain.”

2 Nephi 5:21 “a sore cursing . . . as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.”

2 Nephi 30:6 (prophecy to the Lamanites if they repented) “scales of darkness shall begin to fall. . . . they shall be a white and delightsome people” (“white and delightsome” was changed to “pure and delightsome” in 1981).

Jacob 3:5 (Lamanites cursed) “whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins. . . .”

Jacob 3:8-9 “their skins will be whiter than yours… revile no more against them because of the darkness of their skins. . . .”

Alma 3:6 “And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion.”

Alma 3:9 “whosoever did mingle his seed with that of the Lamanites did bring the same curse upon his seed.”

Alma 3:14 (Lamanites cursed) “set a mark on them that they and their seed may be separated from thee and thy seed. . . .”

Alma 23:18 “[Lamanites] did open a correspondence with them [Nephites] and the curse of God did no more follow them.”

3 Nephi 2:14-16 “Lamanites who had united with the Nephites were numbered among the Nephites; And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites and . . . became exceedingly fair. . . . ”

3 Nephi 19:25, 30 (Disciples) “they were as white as the countenance and also the garments of Jesus; and behold the whiteness thereof did exceed all the whiteness. . . . nothing upon earth so white as the whiteness thereof… and behold they were white, even as Jesus.”

Mormon 5:15 (prophecy about the Lamanites) “for this people shall be scattered, and shall become a dark, a filthy, and a loathsome people, beyond the description of that which ever hath been amongst us. . . .”

Pearl of Great Price

Moses 7:8 “a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan. . . .”

Moses 7:12 “Enoch continued to call upon all the people, save it were [i.e., except] the people of Canaan, to repent. . . .”

Moses 7:22 “.for the seed of Cain were black and had not place among them.”

Abraham 1:21 ” king of Egypt [Pharaoh] was a descendant from the loins of Ham, and was a partaker of the blood of the Canaanites by birth.”

Abraham 1:27 “Pharaoh being of that lineage by which he could not have the right of Priesthood. . . .” (emphasis added to above citations).

The truth is: every racist claim, still in Mormonism scriptures, has been tested and failed the test of truth. So why are they still being published?
They are not consistent with and completely violate Christ’s main commandment that we love our fellow man as ourselves. They are offensive and people have every right to be offended by this kind of racist non-sense that violate principles of common human decency.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2021 08:18PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 02:31PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.