Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 10:15AM

tried to contact the missionaries that introduced you to the morg to tell them that you no longer believe the rubbish they presented to you. And did you hope to plant a seed of doubt in their minds or even better find that they had seen the light and resigned.

We did but the missionary hasn't replied!!!

Would love to hear your experiences.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 01:47PM

and I have no idea where they are. Never saw them again. That was 1961.

Posted by: Truth Without Fear ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 02:19PM

Yes, years ago.

At the time both were "less active". I was very sad to hear it and bore my testimony to both of them <<<yack>>>.

I contacted them both again a year or so after I resigned and discovered that they were both ex-mo!

Now THAT was a happy day!

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 02:49PM

I lost touch with the mishies who converted me, about 10 seconds after being dunked (I was baptised by a fellow ward member).
They probably ticked a box in their journal and went looking for fresh meat. I don't even recall their names.

I was 'friendshipped' by the YA group, straight away and that's the only thing that kept me in the church for the first few months.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 05:51PM

He barely remembered who I was, but that he said he recalled, "that humble home." Yup, we were really poor and the place was falling down around our ears.

I let him know that I had left. He said that church was one of the most important things in his life and that he held young adult gatherings at his home every week.

I mentioned that church was very important to me as well and that I teach a course on reprductive health for eigth graders at church every week.

We parted ways. It was weird to be so condescended to and to see myself as I appeared to him at the time.

Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 06:03PM

I am still in touch with the missionaries who dunked me. They are both outstanding gentlemen regardless of their religious persuasion (both still active members).

I dunno, part of me would love to have that conversation with them, another part of me really doesn't. I think they know, heck I am facebook friends with both of them and chat with them semi-regularly. Since they don't ask about the church, I presume they know.

Posted by: JBryan ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 07:24PM

I developed a long lasting relationship with the two elders who finally ended up dunking me. It lasted until I left the Morg.

The elder who baptised me was from Wyoming. He baptised me, stood in the circle when I was confirmed, was there when I received the Aaronic Priesthood, was in the circle when I was ordained an elder.

He finished his mission shortly before I received my mission call. He was the one who went through the Provo Temple with me when I got endowed. After my mission I went to Ricks College and he and his wife lived in Idaho Falls so we saw lots of each other.

When I got married, he and his wife came to the wedding. A few years later he stood by me as I blessed my son in sacrament meeting.

After I moved away from the area, we still kept in touch. Then, I found out the LDS Church was a lie. I danced around the issue everytime we talked and he assumed I was just inactive.

The other missionary and I were in contact many times. He was a fairly nice guy in some ways but just so arrogant. I lost contact with him and then suddenly in 2001 (4 years after I left) he calls me out of the blue. Upon finding out that I was no longer "active" he starts barking orders at me to "read the Book of Mormon" and to "go, this very Sunday, to church". I told him that I would explain it all to him in an e-mail and that began a very intense 3 month back and forth bash that turned very nasty. As of this date, I no longer have any contact with him.

As for the first missionary, after my resignation in 2002, I sent him an e-mail in which I told him that I had resigned and was now an agnostic. I felt that I needed to be honest with him. His wife wrote back that they were shocked but wished the best for me. He wrote me a one sentence e-mail about 6 months later asking me how I was.

I've never heard from him since.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 08:01PM

So many missionaries and others tried to convert me I couldn't have recalled them all even way back then. Back then I still had respect for TSCC. It frightens me to think that I actually bought into some of the BS, I can be happy knowing I spotted enough of the BS to stay out. Now days, I don't think the LDS missionary work is all that successful in the USA to really worry about individual missionaries. The beef I currently have with the LDS has me more worried about making the LDS ineffective in their battle against gays.

Posted by: augiedogie ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 11:41PM

Uh, I'm sorry to say I adored my missionaries. They were intelligent (although brainwashed), funny, seemed to genuinely care about me and my family, and we all loved them dearly. I've often wondered where they are and what they're doing, but never tried to look them up. Both were planning college and professional careers as soon as their missions were over. I hope they got out, but both came from TBM families. Anyway, I have only good memories about them.

Posted by: allen ( )
Date: October 31, 2010 12:58AM

Still friends on Facebook with them both actually. They were nice girls, not bad looking. They taught me something completely different from what TSCC teaches and I told them flat out, "You two taught me about something that seemed great, but the real thing failed to live up. I don't blame either of you for talking to me about it, and I don't regret it. I'm just over it."

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: October 31, 2010 09:21AM

We did a search by putting one of the missionaries names and occupation into a search engine and came up with what looked like it could well be him (we live in different countries). We sent an email explaining who we were and that it could well be the wrong person we were writing to so apologised if it was.
An email came back - it was the right one. Hadn't had contact for 30 or so years.
We told him we were no longer members and the reasons why and asked him to answer questions that we didn't know to ask when investigating.
Hence we haven't heard back from him.
He had originally said he was going to get a 'reliable' source to answer, but we said we wanted him to answer them just as he expected us to answer questions when telling us about the church.
We know we will not hear from him as he had said that he loved the church and was fully involved (callings etc).
Just another TBM who will now shun us.
Pity because we thought we had a friendship with him before. Now we realise its just about baptisms/numbers for him.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: October 31, 2010 07:26PM

...through his twin sister. She saw my former husband, "Sam," in Salt Lake this past summer and he gave her my email address (thanks, not).

Oh, weird coincidence. The missionary and twin sister are from the San Francisco area. He served in the Salt Lake mission in the early '80s when he taught me. After I got married, I was in a ward with his twin sister who'd just gotten married as well. That's where she and I met. After a few months together in the ward, I decided I liked the elder more than the sister.

Anyway, I haven't yet talked with her personally about the situation but she knows I've left since Sam told her. Apparently her brother works for the church and wanted to say hi to me. Gee, thanks. I think it would be a situation similar to msmom's: condescending and yucky. Don't wanna go there.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 31, 2010 09:01PM

One of them contacted us by phone early last year, after 40 years of silence. I didn't speak with him, only DW. She sent him an Xmas card, but no response.

We had a couple great mishies, and one super dumbass arrogant sob.

One of the good ones is in Vernal, HS PE. The other, who called, is in So Idaho, HS sci teacher.

I could write to them, but why? They are bots.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: October 31, 2010 09:12PM

and getting in touch with those I taught has been on my mind more than getting in touch with the missionaries who taught me.

My close missionary friends know that I've left since I told them, in fact, one of my companions left the church too and we're even closer friends now.

Because of all the shit involved with telling ANYONE about having been a member or not being one anymore, I usually avoid the subject. I'm looked at as crazy by those who aren't members who ask me why I ever joined and I'm viewed as evil or misguided or unrepentant or whatever they want to think by those who are TBMs. I just hate going there.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 01, 2010 01:55AM

Last time we visited, we shared a glass of wine to celebrate our freedom. He actually apologized to me for teaching me all that garbage. I told him he didn't need to apologize, as he believed it at the time and everybody makes mistakes. Heck, I bought into it too, didn't I?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.