Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: June 24, 2021 10:42AM

When I was a youngster, I went to Temple Square. I loved the statue of the seagulls and the accompanying story. How inspiring!

The display said that the pioneers were saved by flocks of seagulls which ate the crickets and saved their crops.

Today it is said that no one contemporary to this “event” had reported anything anywhere about this miracle. The story had been made up, or at least embellished heavily.

So, no more miracle. History has been erased.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 24, 2021 10:49AM

That’s not history being erased. That’s history being embellished - adding stuff that didn’t actually happen.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 24, 2021 11:01AM

Orwell would be proud.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 24, 2021 12:22PM

That's not history being erased; it's history being corrected. The seagull statue now sits in the American Folklore Museum along with the monuments to American Patriots of the Confederacy.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 24, 2021 09:46PM

Freiburg paintings would look good in the lobby of a gym.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 24, 2021 09:57PM

Or a gay bar.

Date: June 24, 2021 09:58PM

I was going to say a YMCA.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 24, 2021 10:18PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 24, 2021 11:16PM

Shush, I’m practicing Macho Man for karaoke night.

Date: June 25, 2021 12:52AM

The pinnacle of American culture.

That and the Big Mac.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 25, 2021 06:43PM

Mine too. Not helped by the fact that I was In The Navy.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 09:33AM

Darksparks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was a youngster, I went to Temple Square.
> I loved the statue of the seagulls and the
> accompanying story. How inspiring!
>
> The display said that the pioneers were saved by
> flocks of seagulls which ate the crickets and
> saved their crops.
>
> Today it is said that no one contemporary to this
> “event” had reported anything anywhere about
> this miracle. The story had been made up, or at
> least embellished heavily.
>
> So, no more miracle. History has been erased.

Mormon never had a miracle...

History was (INTENTIONALLY) miswritten. It makes it easier to white out, erase, or "re-record".

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 11:18PM

moremany Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Darksparks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When I was a youngster, I went to Temple Square.
>
> > I loved the statue of the seagulls and the
> > accompanying story. How inspiring!
> >
> > The display said that the pioneers were saved
> by
> > flocks of seagulls which ate the crickets and
> > saved their crops.
> >
> > Today it is said that no one contemporary to
> this
> > “event” had reported anything anywhere
> about
> > this miracle. The story had been made up, or
> at
> > least embellished heavily.
> >
> > So, no more miracle. History has been erased.
>
> Mormon never had a miracle...
>
> History was (INTENTIONALLY) miswritten. It makes
> it easier to white out, erase, or "re-record".

.......(MORmON) Miracle of (MORmON) Miracles, "history" has changed !!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6mtf1_-rx4

Posted by: Norval Hyde ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 05:17AM

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 03:54PM

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/5/1/22411970/temple-mormon-latter-day-saints-manti-utah-ephraim-church-religion-prophet-nelson

Apparently, Elohim awakened from his 30 year nap just in time to light up Rusty's pen and save them.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 05:53AM

Well I think of it as myth-making which a lot of cultures tend to do, like noticing the shape of some animal or god in a mountain's profile or some of the stories about Paul Bunyan and so forth.

The way I heard it, the event did happen, but it was just a natural cyclical occurrence that happened every few years, but the pioneers weren't familiar enough with the local environment to realize that. Or maybe it was just a larger than usual infestation. If they'd studied their Darwin at some point it would occur to them that the infestation of crickets directly led to an increase in their natural predators, the seagulls.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 05:57AM

I.e., certain climactic conditions led to an unusual increase in crickets one year, which led to an increase of their predators the seagulls, who came in and ate them thus 'saving' the crops but only incidentally, an example of evolutionary balance in action.

Not sure what type of conditions might have led to an explosion of crickets in the first place; it could have been an unusually wet season or maybe more food was available in that location or they had been pushed out of their previous habitat, or what.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 08:36PM

> ...certain climactic conditions
> led to an unusual increase ...

So you heard about my wedding night!!

Date: July 04, 2021 11:08PM

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 09:38AM

Function of "history" for the cult is different than the function of history for the historian.

The former is building a myth.
The latter is building an account.

Only one requires accuracy.

Date: June 29, 2021 12:37PM

Well said shortly, Dr NO

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 03:38PM

Bits of Mormon history have been erased from the very beginning, like, oh, the various versions of the First Vision; JS's treasure hunting; the Smith family's involvement with fringe and occult religions; church meetings with members speaking in tongues, rolling on the floor, prophesying; alcohol-fueled visions...

Posted by: daverichards1 ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 08:39AM

If we look at the original JS vision story he did not say it was God and Jesus. In 1832 he said he saw the Lord. In 1838 he said he saw 2 personages. Could it have been 2 which he lumped together into the Lord. Or with the LDS doctrine of polytheism (we can all become Gods) could it have been 2 Gods? Or maybe as one maybe off the wall theory, he had a close encounter of the 3rd kind? LDS history is modified and edited as needs be to suit the purposes of the leadership.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 04:46PM

Rocky Mountain Locusts though, were a real thing. Extinct now for a variety of reasons:

https://www.historynet.com/1874-the-year-of-the-locust.htm

The death of the Super Hopper:
https://www.hcn.org/issues/243/13695

Date: June 29, 2021 04:53PM

Fascinating.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 02:35PM

Knowing the limits and nuances of transparency is an ever evolving thing.

I didn't know these guys ate crickets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOK3rqVgN2I

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 12:45AM

For those who have seen the movie series "The Matrix", I see Mormonism so much like the Matrix. On the rare times that I've gone back in to a Mormon church building after having my name removed (or should I say that I was "unplugged"), I felt like Neo on his journeys back in to the Matrix after he was unplugged from it. The Bishops and Stake Presidents are the sentinels. A lot of what Morpheus teaches Neo about the Matrix applies also to Mormonism. And like the Matrix, every time the Mormon church loses in its objective to enslave the minds of a majority of the people, there is a re-boot of Mormonism, just like the reboot of the Matrix, and for the same reasons and goals.

A hundred years from now, some poor fool just like me as a young man, will believe as I once did, that the Mormon church is the only true church. Mormon history will have been re-written as it is always re-written, each time there is a reboot of the church, just like there is of the Matrix. All he will know about the church is what the church tells him. The cycle will repeat, just as it did before. Each time, the church learns. There will be an architect that applies previously gained information from previous versions of Mormonism, to create a new and more perfect machine for the purpose of enslaving minds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2021 12:49AM by azsteve.

Date: July 04, 2021 03:01PM

Azsteve, When I read stuff like this I realized how deeply I was buried in it for half of my life, and I am really a lucky guy that I found my way into reality.

I am the only one of my siblings that has been able to clear my mind of this and felt the happiness of knowing reality.

What kind of wickedness started all of this? Solomon Spaulding, Sidney Rigdon, and Joseph Smith. I think now that those three were agnostic to begin with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2021 03:01PM by Darksparks.

Date: July 04, 2021 11:18PM

The Matrix has been used as metaphor for many who wish to disavow high-commitment belief systems.

I saw powerful parallels to my cult-of-origin, Christian Science, which--Hindu-like--teaches that the material world, from quarks to cellular life to galaxies and black holes, is all illusory. It "exists" only because we believe it exists. This false material reality is created and maintained by "mortal mind," and will cease to exist as we Spiritually evolve into our "true," absolute Reality, which consists of "Immortal Mind," as "Scientifically" "proven" by Mary Baker Eddy.

I imagine quite a few groups use the Matrix as metaphor to explain their ideology, even the Scientologists. Not so sure about the Unitarians.

Note: Use of the upper case is deliberate, and consistent with CS usage.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 06:12PM

The Book of MORmON religion was founded on (superfluous) screwing with history, (superfluous) screwing with reality, and (superfluous) screwing with people's perception of reality and history...... (the same way that Christianity was founded)

The Book of MORmON church was founded on the Gold Plates/Book of MORmON hoax as supposed additional scripture, as well as the first vision hoax, as well as Smith's follow up Book of Abraham hoax, all of which are attempts to create history and scripture that did not really exist, based on embellishments/ take offs of other history that did not really exist.

Joseph Smith's first vision "experience" is templated off of Paul's vision and conversion, to one extent or another. Joseph Smith's Book of MORmON is a rip off of the bible with an American twist.

The MORmON seagulls and grasshoppers story is a tiny tiny tiny aspect of Book of MORmON church's ongoing major league faith promoting "fact" / "history" meddling and manufacturing and swirling tornado of BS (LYING).

Far more substantial and problematic for the MORmONS, and comical, is the current situation where the Book of MORmON church wants to avoid/ abandon/ minimize it's (highly embarrassing) (Book of) MORmON name.......but it can NOT because the Book of MORmON related events are so integral to its founding, its identity and its authority claims.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.