Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: I Am Not Gary Busey ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 05:17PM

Are members who are convicted of a financial felony allowed to serve in the Bishopbric?

does anyone know if there is a policy around this, if they ask during screening, or any sort of screening?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 05:43PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/03/29/background-checks-culture/

Would seem what is critical is how public the knowledge.
No knowledge no problem.
From casual review seems LDS power elite more likely to be involved in sex crimes - though (hopefully) rare

Seems many religious (or purportedly so) outfits involving a power dynamic have sexual exploitation a common element of risk

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 12:20AM

This is not quite the same thing, but...

I personally know a guy (husband of my wife's good friend) who was called or allowed to serve a couple's mission within a year of being let out of jail for a while collar felony crime (real estate related).

I also know a guy who was called as a mission president, shortly after being run out of Utah and at least one other state by the Attorney General for fraudulent activity involving health care professionals and loosing his entire life's saving and home to the IRS for tax fraud. His lawyer cohort got jail time. He admittedly was pushing for being a mission president to get the home, car, 100K+ Stipend, and free church college tuition for his kids.

Both instances were kept out of the press and hush-hush to practically all church members, and possibly the church hierarchy who called them. But I know both men well and the circumstances behind their situations.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 10:59AM

As I understand it, there is no stipend for being an MP. There is a generous reimbursement policy for all living expenses, including expenses one wouldn’t usually consider living expenses, like an allowance to pay transportation to have adult children visit once a year, or something like that.

But I believe it is a strict reimbursement program. You only get reimbursed for actual expenses. So, for example, you don’t get a $12k food allowance, where you get to keep what you don’t spend on food.

So your living expenses are basically zero, and “living expenses” are defined pretty broadly, but you don’t end up with extra money in your bank account at the end of the day. That’s why reimbursements are not taxable income. Employer provided housing generally is considered taxable income, as the Trump organization is apparently about to find out, except for “parsonages” provided by churches. Yes, of course LDS Inc plays every tax angle in the book.

A stipend, however, as far as the IRS is concerned, is just plain earned income, and is taxed.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 04:02PM

Posted by: Finance Investigator ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 11:11AM

Finance Clerk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally know a guy (husband of my wife's good
> friend)

> But I know both men well

As I was saying to my brother-in-law's cleaner's nephew's neighbor... Who I know personally really well.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 01:07PM

How about a member from a well known TBM family who has a history of screwing around other Mormons in business deals who still holds a temple recommend.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 01:51PM

forever and always it is about the money.
if you have ityou can buy your way in no matter what your personal history!!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 05:43PM

Counselor was on wife #3
He was already cheating on #3 with soon to be #4.
He was not paying alimony to wife #1.
He was dragged into court for not paying child support.
Warrant was issued for arrest and he suddenly disappeared and released from the bishopric before he could be arrested. It has long been suspected that a member of law enforcement was aware of his imminent apprehension and called the bishopric member with enough time to flee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2021 05:44PM by messygoop.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 05:46PM

especially for non-violent 'property' crimes, a few jurisdictions offer a number of resolutions, 1 time offenders often use:

Vacated the conviction

expungement

a pardon

IDK where or what this person was dealing with

Posted by: I Am Not Gary Busey ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 09:15AM

Thanks for all the great responses....

Does anyone have a list of the screening questions for calling people into Bishopbric positions, or if they exist?

I am wondering if they ask about any past convictions, or anything that, if someone was honest, would have to answer "Yes" if they are a convicted felon.

Are they the same as the Temple Recommend questions?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 10:55AM

Second counselor in our bishopric served time in prison for fraud. He talked about it in his testimony.

He started coming up with stuff like a bullet-proof BMW.

Now he’s back in prison for his $250,000,000 Ponzi scheme.

But … Mormonism is a financial criminal, so it all makes sense.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 11:17AM

If he'd have paid tithing on his ill-gotten gains, ghawd might have smiled upon his endeavors!

Let this be a lesson . . .

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 02, 2021 10:09PM

You can commit financial felonies and still afterward become a Mormon bishop... as long as the financial felony was not against the church itself.

You can molest children and still be put in positions of trust around children in the church, as long as no one else knows.

Anyone else here want to add to this list?

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 02, 2021 11:48PM

Dear Brother Corn Mo,

If the financial heresy will not be tolerate and those convicted of such in a kangaroo court of love will be rendered ineligible to serve in any leadership position. Regarding being found guilty of financial crimes in a court of law, each case will be reviewed on an individual basis for potential leadership eligibility. The Lord will look on your heart in those instances.

And I shan't call you Nick Nolte neither,

Brother Cheezus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j244DN-09Wo

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.