Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 02, 2021 07:50PM

...emancipate yourself from mental slavery.

Congrats on being one of the few to escape Plato’s cave of shadows.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Friend's reply: I absolutely agree. It is an epic victory for people who get the courage to climb out of the cave. It also leaves a lot of psychological rubble in its wake

Reply true, I climbed out of the cave 20yrs ago and left a hell of a lot of carnage in my wake, but it helps to focus on the good that came from it and moving on to more healthy, authentic and fulfilling life lived in the broad light of day.

Her: I totally agree. I stick around in the trenches to help others unpack the carnage and I tend to get sucked back in from time to time.

Reply: Sometimes collateral damage to social ties is well worth the freedom.

My response above, to my fabulous ExMo friend, who wrote the following ...(which, I have her permission to share),

FREE TO CHOOSE
An LDS child who is taught that they have a choice about whether to get baptized at 8 when they have not been presented with any other options becomes an adult who believes that she is exercising her agency by being complicit to the church.
The only other available option for her as an LDS child OR a full grown adult is to risk disappointing all the people in her life that expect her to walk the path they have chosen for her.
The real possibility of familial and social rejection for an LDS person is not freedom to choose, it is coercion —using ones most intimate relationships.
She may not of had the courage or the intellect to choose differently at 8 but one day she will rise up and break through the cage they told her was “freedom” and she will risk losing everyone in her life to stop betraying herself.
Only then she will be free.
And her
wings
will make
them nervous.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2021 08:01PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 02, 2021 08:56PM

feels Safe

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 02, 2021 09:09PM

“Three ‘hots’, a cot and a roof, just for my vote? Sign me up!!”

—Anonymous

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 02, 2021 09:27PM

Thank you for the paragraph breaks!!

…step by step…

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.