Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 11:46AM

Please hear me out. This is a random thought I just had, so it is probably not worth much, but it may explain a few things.

A great many Mormon types are firmly in the moon-landing hoax camp. The rest of us scratch our heads in wonderment. Here is my thought: it's a proxy for the bigger question of the finality of our lives here on earth.

Understanding the moon has been a compulsion among humans forever. It has been the object of countless myths and romantic projections and all the rest. By the 1960s we finally had the tools we needed to achieve what had been a human fantasy for thousands of years. We would break through to the heavens and discover the deep meanings of the Cosmos. So we were all in favor. But when we got there, it became painfully clear that the moon was not magic in the least but was just a pile of rocks. The astronauts looked back at the earth and we all realized that our own pile of rocks was all we had. There was no "out there" to save us from ourselves. It was all up to us alone and scared in the vastness of space. All this had been announced before, of course. It's called Existentialism.

Most people could not handle Nietzsche's warnings, and few understand it. But the moon landings put the nail in the coffin of all our hopes for a magical universe where the moon is a goddess and gives us Moonglow and benignly governs our lives. It's just a pile of rocks. But so many people need this aspect of magic in their lives. One product of that need is to decide that there was no moon landing so that the Goddess was left undisturbed and we can all go back to the cosmic forces and astrology and, the most powerful of all, God, whom Mormons believe is a guy who is directly involved with all those moons and planets and stars whose main job is to reassure us that We Are Not Alone. And so it didn't really happen and we can go back to our mythological world views. And the rest of us are left to do what little we can to deal with the actual problems facing humanity, like pollution and racism and global warming that is threatening to literally bake us to death.

Just some thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 12:16PM

bit now that you've explained it, I'm never coming out of my room again ;-)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 12:23PM

After careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that there was actually a moon landing.
However I would never deny the right of another human being to doubt it.
Each of us must rely on our own perceptions.
I find this to be a very pointed issue when I attempt to discuss Zeccharia Sitchen's translation of the Sumerian cunieform tablets that make up The Lost Book of Enki.
So you see each of us must determine within ourselves what we do or do not choose to believe.
Also I believe that it is improper to put down any other human being for what they believe in

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2021 12:25PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: July 03, 2021 12:51PM

or even thinks the moon landing is hoaxed.

Seems slskipper is endeavoring to explain why it is that so many perfectly reasonable folks believe it to be hoaxed.
(And it definitely is in the realm of Belief)

Not poking' fun, just trying to make sense of the phenomenon.

A theoretical explanation
Not an endorsement.

But yeah, your points are interesting also.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 12:37PM

You think the moon is real ? It's a hoax. Ha ha ha !

Date: July 03, 2021 12:40PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You think the moon is real ? It's a hoax. Ha ha
> ha !
===============================
Anything is possible with enough mirrors

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 09:32PM

Nonsense. The moon is real, it's just flat.

Flat moon theory for the win!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 12:55PM

If we had gone to the moon, we would have discovered the Quakers living there. Did the occupants of the Lunar Module report knocking on the door in the middle of the night and the subsequent delivery of funeral potatoes and green Jello from their new Quaker friends? We may never know - that’s classified.

I kind of miss the old days, when we didn’t know how screwed we really were. Nietzsche tried to warn us. So, where does that leave religion? If we killed God, why is religion holding the smoking gun? Mormonism included, with their demonization of “the other” and their infatuation with Mammon. I don’t like these men or their church because they are obscene.

At this point, the sixth extinction is probably inevitable. We’re all trilobites now. It tends to put the everyday problems in perspective.

Maybe through science and technology we will come to understand God, or the magic holding this reality together, enough for an ascension into a higher dimension where the Earth is livable. Such Enoch-style stuff is pretty rare, but like I said technology. It’s what we’re good at. We could Stargate out of here before we’re all toast. I mean, if we could buy the parts to build the damn thing.

Date: July 03, 2021 01:03PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> If we
> killed God, why is religion holding the smoking
> gun?
This is like: Whoa.
Blows me away.
An incisive original thought echoing off the walls of Time.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 01:50PM

A great many Mormon types are in that camp? Really?

I knew one back in the early 70s at BYU. He was convinced the moon landing was faked because Joseph Fielding Smith had said that man was only given dominion over the earth and blah blah blah.

Then SWK congratulated the astronauts on their achievement, I believe in the Priesthood session of GC, so it had extra-special spiritual oomph, being a meeting of all men.

So my friend's head exploded, but I think he finally managed to clean up the mess.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 02:48PM

I had the same thought. I really haven't run into a lot of people, Mormon or not, that believe the Moon landing was a hoax.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 01:57PM

brb ~

watching "the shining" to get the real tea ~

Date: July 03, 2021 01:59PM

BTW, there are still plenty of people who believe that the full moon affects human behavior. Some of them right here. More babies are supposedly born, more wolves are were, yada yada.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 03:17PM

An interesting quote I heard but don't have the NASA official or the source, said most landings were not done by 'rockets' or as they have been portrayed. He inferred we have much better technology. Sorry, couldn't locate the source.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 03:34PM

Hoax?

When Gary Powers' U-2 was shot down over Russia (it had been billed as flying too high to be vulnerable, Pres. Eisenhower first denied it to the press/public...

For me that was the first slip in Government truthfulness / reliability.

the next, of course was RMNixon who told us 'I'm not a crook'

So, in a way, the Hoax thing kinda-sorta fits into a pattern EXCEPT that Eisenhower & Nixon were Repubs

(draw your own conlusions...)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 07:47PM

I know many folks that believe the manned moon landings are a hoax.

Their list includes.

Sole of boots supposedly used on the moon do not match photos of boot prints on the moon.

No stars in the background

Insufficient protection from radiation on space craft outside of the earths magnetic field.

Odd ways the shadows fall could be from multi directional light sources.

And a host of other things.

Most of them look forward to the real moon landings of the future.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 08:01PM

I'm waiting for paparazzi photos.

Then I'll believe...

Date: July 03, 2021 08:56PM

You are way too conversant in this nonsense. Put the tin foil down. ;)

Neil deGrasse Tyson was asked about this and basically said it is easier to just go to the moon than to fake it. They brought moon rocks back that were able to pass chemical tests that didn't even exist in 1969. It's really hard to fake something so well that it anticipates all future scientific developments and correctly responds to them.

Especially when they are too inept to realize they need both floodlights on the same side of the stage for the faked photos.

0_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTChrirK-hw
Tyson giving short answer to the question. He has given longer ones, but I can't find them right now.

Date: July 03, 2021 09:29PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> You are way too conversant in this nonsense. Put
> the tin foil down. ;)
>
> Neil deGrasse Tyson was asked about this and
> basically said it is easier to just go to the moon
> than to fake it. They brought moon rocks back that
> were able to pass chemical tests that didn't even
> exist in 1969. It's really hard to fake something
> so well that it anticipates all future scientific
> developments and correctly responds to them.
>
> Especially when they are too inept to realize they
> need both floodlights on the same side of the
> stage for the faked photos.
>
> 0_o
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTChrirK-hw
> Tyson giving short answer to the question. He has
> given longer ones, but I can't find them right
> now.
Belief is Belief, maaan.
It is not encumbered by reason.
Why - get to 11,186 m/s and yer no longer bound by gravity.

(Plus -- whuuuut, tin foil!? Tin foil looks good on me)

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 07:26AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> You are way too conversant in this nonsense. Put
> the tin foil down. ;)
>
> Neil deGrasse Tyson was asked about this and
> basically said it is easier to just go to the moon
> than to fake it. They brought moon rocks back that
> were able to pass chemical tests that didn't even
> exist in 1969. It's really hard to fake something
> so well that it anticipates all future scientific
> developments and correctly responds to them.
>
> Especially when they are too inept to realize they
> need both floodlights on the same side of the
> stage for the faked photos.
>
> 0_o
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTChrirK-hw
> Tyson giving short answer to the question. He has
> given longer ones, but I can't find them right
> now.

The near 1,000 pounds of lunar samples brought back from the Apollo missions have been studied globally for over 50 years now and they all pass the test.

The Soviet Union had everything to gain by blowing the lid of the supposed hoax (people under 35 years old have no memory of how intense the Cold War actually was), they tracked Apollo 11, and the following Apollo missions, and conceded that the missions did occur.

The lunar experiments left by the Apollo astronauts are still in use today.

The Apollo landing sites have now been photographed from lunar orbit. Guess what, you can see the descent stage of the lunar modules, you can see the tracks left by the astronauts, you can even see the lunar rovers from Apollos 15, 16, and 17, parked exactly where they were left.

The lack of stars, the shadows, the behavior of the sand, the behavior of the flag, and every other issue, can easily be explained by just a small amount of research.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 09:36PM

Heartless Wrote:
> Sole of boots supposedly used on the moon do not
> match photos of boot prints on the moon.

That's just not true. I checked.

Date: July 04, 2021 11:17AM

I think the take home is one can Believe what one wishes.
And that folks who Believe, will not be otherwise convinced by mere evidence and reason.

Consider your TBM friends ;-) and relatives :-\

And that's fine.
Guard your resources.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 04:16AM

It would cost more money to fake going to the Moon back in the 1960s than it would cost to actually do it...

https://www.space.com/5772-tv-mythbusters-tackle-moon-landing-hoax-claims.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2021 04:17AM by anybody.

Posted by: Willie ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 10:54AM

So - a "pile of rocks"?

Yosemite.

Zion Park.

Garden of the Gods.

So many others.

Knowing what the moon is from personal visits by Astronauts does not diminish it in any way.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 03:24AM

When the Chinese make their trip to the moon, maybe they'll land close to the U.S. sites and do some scavenging amoung all the abandoned camp sites, beer cans, due buggies, and flags we've left behind and bring back proof with them.

Assuming they survive the trips.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 01:15PM

Theoretically, there should be large amounts of water as ice, in shadowed areas near the poles on the moon. If China wants to send more men to the moon, they should see if they can find some of that water.

If they land near one of the Apollo sites, all they'll find is a 1960's era moon rover and the landing-base portion of the Luner excursion module. Any technology the Apollo astronauts left behind will be antiques now. Although if they're mean enough, they could take down the American flag there and replace it with their own flag. Maybe that would get us to go back there again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2021 01:16PM by azsteve.

Date: July 05, 2021 01:30PM

azsteve Wrote:
> they could take down the American
> flag there and replace it with their own flag.
> Maybe that would get us to go back there again.

Already been done.
Here.
By "flag-waving-patriots."

----

consider recent history

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 06:20PM

This Fall, Nelson will announce the building of two temples that will be built on the Moon. While exact locations will not be fully disclosed, a substantial opportunity to live near one of the lunar temples will be available for those who want to be closer to heavenly father.

Nelson will also announce plans about future temples on Mars and Venus. So far there are no plans to build a temple on Kolob.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 08:51PM

I saw a big he-man pick-up truck barreling down the highway today. It sported two large American flags waving from behind the cab, trailing the length of the bed.

One of the two flags was a normal American flag. The other flag sent a message that I am still confused about. There were only white and blue stars and stripes (flag was almost only blue and white). But there were only two individual stripes of other colors. The very bottom stripe was red. The stripe above it was green. I initially thought that the message was that the flag was morphing to become a Chinese flag (like the US is gradually becoming a Chinese state). But later I looked up the flags of China, Iran, and North Korea and found no such correlation. Does anyone know what this odd American flag might represent? I had to laugh when the only place I found it sold was from Alibaba. But there was no explanation for it there.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2021 08:59PM by azsteve.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 10:00PM

It's a flag version in salute to police (blue) Army (green) and Firemen (red).

https://www.amazon.com/Flag-Green-Stripe/s?k=Flag+with+Green+Stripe

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 10:23AM

Leave to Amazon to be on top of current events.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.