Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 12:43PM

Canada achieved its independence on July 1 (1867),
The U.S. on July 2/4 (1776),
Australia on July 9 (1900),
Ireland on July 11 (1921),
India on July 18 (1947).

What is it about July and the UK?

You did give us Monty Python, and we have a prince on loan with an option to buy, so thanks for that. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 02:29PM

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 05:34PM

India national day is 15 August

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 05:41PM

India is where railroad workers have no PPE.

Date: July 04, 2021 05:52PM

The United States recognized the Union of India as an independent state on August 15, 1947, when President Harry S. Truman sent a congratulatory message to Lord Louis Mountbatten, Governor General of the Dominion of India.

It was on this date that, in accordance with the British Parliament’s India Independence Act of July 18, 1947, the Union of India and Pakistan were created from the former “British India” that had been a part of the British Empire.

https://history.state.gov/countries/india

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 05:48PM

And thus the mathematician proves that even he sometimes misses the simplest explanation.

Britain had over 100 colonies. If the process were random, that would mean an average of eight declarations of independence per month.

So I ask you, why were there so few in July?

Date: July 04, 2021 06:00PM

I beggeth your pardon.

What percentage of the British Empire is represented by those 5 nations, whether you are measuring wealth, population, or square miles?

These are the big enchiladas. [oops, wrong overlords]

Date: July 04, 2021 06:06PM

Besides, the author I stole this from was going for effect over accuracy, Schrodingerscat-style. See slight pretzel logic on India, above. But at least something pivotal having to do with India's independence really happened in July.

Date: July 04, 2021 06:32PM

Bawj, if I may, you must be eating at taco bell because your enchiladas are not very nutritious.

The combined populations of Australia, Canada and Ireland is under 70 million. That puts them behind Turkey, Ethiopia, the DR Congo, the Philippines, Mexico, and Nigeria. So hardly enough nutritional value to sustain a high school badminton team.

Yes, I acknowledge that the United States is a big burrito. But that wasn't as clear in 1776, when the French saved the colonies' tocino. So there is a bit of a survivor bias in your analytical cocina, that and a modest smattering of chunky salsa.

Date: July 04, 2021 06:11PM

The Bahamas a fully independent nation on 10 July 1973, and this date is now celebrated as the country's Independence Day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bahamas

So there. There are others. The list I presented were just the big, er, ah, enchiladas. [full English breakfasts?]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2021 06:13PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 07:39PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_independence_days

Most countries gaining independence from the UK did not do so in July

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 08:39PM

And here I was thinking all the flag waving,celebration and fireworks was because England won its game yesterday to advance to the semi finals of Euro 2020 (2020 because it was postponed from last year) What could possibly be more important than football, lol?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 11:47AM

Done & Done achieved his independence November 15th, 1973. He suddenly felt like a whole country. The liberation was intoxicating and considered a treasure to this day.

Happy Independence Day everyone and may we all stay that way.

Date: July 05, 2021 02:11PM

Come to think of it, I sent in my LDS resignation on July 2, specifically because it was as close as I could get to Canada's independence day (I had recently been living in Canada then) and US Independence Day. There was no way to get the resignation to arrive on July 4, but I got as close to it as I could.

Yes, a bit of inconsequential symbolism, but symbolism mattered to me.

Date: July 05, 2021 02:13PM

I light a sparkler in your honor!

Date: July 05, 2021 10:28PM

A symbolic act recognizing a symbolic act. Kurt Gödel smiles completely.

Date: July 05, 2021 10:31PM

And laughter was heard!

Date: July 06, 2021 12:09AM

Lot is smarter than that. And in any case they don't let the inmates have matches.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 04:19PM

I am asked often, around July 4 mostly, what I as an Englishman feel about the Revolutionary/War of Independence. Is it taught much in English schools and how do Brits feel about it. The quick answer is yes and not much. Perhaps the second response is perhaps because the British Empire did not reach its pinnacle till long after the events of 1776 and it is mostly seen as one of many ups and downs along the way to that pinnacle. Who would put money at the time that the newly formed US would become what it has become.

In the midst of all this the greater puzzle is that with all the years of history education received by American students (my own children, too, since they received an American education) they appear in the main to have limited knowledge of their own history. At the risk insult, it is such a short course subject after all.

History, they say, is written by the winners. I might add, but not necessarily read by the winners.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.