Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 02:27PM

"More than a few Mormons participated in the new enthusiasm at least to the extent of obtaining phrenographs. On 14 January 1840, Joseph Smith had obtained an examination at Philadelphia from Alfred Woodward, M.D., who filled out one chart on measurements of the head and one rating the Prophet's faculties.

"A comparison of the 1840 and 1842 readings reveals differences as well as similarities:

"Amativeness (sexual amorousness)   Woodward - 16 Crane - 11
Philoprogenitiveness (parental love)  Woodward - 16 Crane - 9
Inhabitiveness (love of home)   Woodward - 15 Crane - 5
Adhesiveness (friendship)   Woodward - 15 Crane - 8
Combativeness (resistance, defense)   Woodward - 12 Crane - 10
Mirthfulness (wit, fun)   Woodward - 15 Crane - 10
Acquisitiveness (accumulation)   Woodward - 12 Crane - 9
Imitation (copying)   Woodward - 12 Crane - 5

"Mormons who received phrenological readings between 1840 and 1891 included Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Wilford Woodruff, Willard Richards, Brigham Young, George A. Smith, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, John E. Page, Alfred Cordon, Elias Smith, James J. Strang, Matthias Cowley, James Bunting, James S. Brown, Joseph C. Rich, George Reynolds, Amasa Lyman, Charles C. Rich, N. V. Jones, George Q. Cannon, O. S. Clawson, E. L. T. Harrison, Edwin D. Woolley, Christopher Layton, Christopher M. Layton, William Blood, Jesse N. Smith, Sanford Porter, Andrew Jensen, Elizabeth Williams, John D. Lee, Orson F. Whitney, Franklin S. Richards, J. B. Toronto, James H. Moyle, William S. Godbe, William Spry, Daniel Wells, and Abraham H. Cannon.

"Undoubtedly many others visited phrenological studios, but even with these names there is clear enough indication that many Mormons felt perfectly free to investigate what phrenology had to offer."

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V09N01_44.pdf

It's a long article, full of the brilliance we've all come to expect from mormonism!

Also, this changes the saying from "It's all in your head" to "It's all on your head."

I think I probably have a top ranking when it comes to my Inhabitiveness/Amativeness/Mirthfulness ratio: Having fun making whoopie at home, also known as the Sex@Home/Laughing Ratio: S@H/L Ratio.

What's your S@H/L number?

Please note, hurry and check with the Stake Phrenologist about getting your Phrenological Blessing. Appointments are sure to fill up quickly!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 02:43PM

This is very useful when you are torn between calling someone and egghead or a pinhead (as you ponder Oaks and Bednar). I've already gone with Chowderhead for Rusty.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 03:19PM

have to admit . . .

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/EX6J4G/phrenological-chart-of-1859-phrenology-was-founded-in-the-early-19th-EX6J4G.jpg

On exam, smooth head:
"Vot!? No b0mps!?"
(wielding handy mallet)
"Eez not vorry, vee make some -- eez to hold schtill"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 03:59PM

They should have trained stake patriarchs in phrenology since they have their grubby little hands on someone's head for an extended period anyway, and a phrenological reading is as useful as a patriarchal blessing.

Date: July 05, 2021 06:27PM

>
> ... and a phrenological reading is
> as useful as a patriarchal blessing.'
>

I get what you're trying to say, but I feel the need to point out that you must be as worthy for first as you are of the second!

If you're not worthy, Holy McGhost changes up your bumps and you don't get the spiritual reading you could have had!

Remember, only you can prevent playing with yourself!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 06:40PM

Oops. I saw the title and thought this was about macaRomney.

Carry on.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 09:47PM

Sometimes people asked what I do/did with the police, and I would answer, "I'm the department phrenologist."

Very few people got it.

Date: July 05, 2021 10:10PM

A lot of them probably felt awkward about having not made an annual phrenologist appointment in years.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 02:24PM

Date: July 06, 2021 11:09PM

Anyone with a strangely shaped head should seek immediate medical attention.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 10:48AM

I had a job interview for a company in Provo in the early seventies wherein I failed to be hired due to an apparently less than stellar “phrenological interview” with the company owner.

I was devastated. /s/

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 06:01PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 10:54PM

BYU’s phrenology department is down the hall from Lamanite Studies.

Date: July 06, 2021 11:34PM

Did you happen to take Powers of the Priesthood? I don't know if they still offer that class. It was the only religion class with a lab component. But it was a waste of money buying the required hard hat...

Date: July 06, 2021 11:46PM

Yeah, but that's because you needed a bespoke helmet to accommodate your horns. Headgear is much less expensive for most people.

Date: July 07, 2021 12:42AM

Yeah, there are some things I don't need to know about.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 01:41AM

Except in Minnesota

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.