Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 12:16PM

I just sliced my first batch of Canadian bacon, which I smoked yesterday, aye!. Lightly fried a few pieces to test it.....deeeeelishious! Nice and tender, moist, tasted like really good hickory smoked ham. I'll be smokin' more of this!

I used the same recipe I use on pork belly bacon, but only let it cure for 4 days instead of 8. If anyone is interested, I can post the recipe. You could cook this is an oven too, but a smoker is best.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 01:15PM

Ooh. You're making me hungry.

I love Canadian bacon sandwiches. With HP sauce.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 01:36PM

Don't you Canadian's just call it "bacon"?

And don't bother bringing up American cheese. Even we Americans know it's not really cheese.

Date: July 06, 2021 03:37PM

Haha. Yes, we do. The one and only true bacon.

The other kind, with all the fat, we call streaky bacon. Or maybe that's a legacy of my sainted English aunts, not sure. I tend to have an over-abundance of English-isms in my vocab, even for Canada, due to major influence of my overseas relatives, and my British parents, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2021 03:38PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 06:04PM

We call it Back Bacon. The “other” bacon, the kind shaped like skinny strips we just call bacon.

Which for me begs the question: How did Back Bacon come to be called Canadian Bacon? Obviously the name came from somewhere, but where? Enquiring minds want to know...

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 09:29PM

I think it was to distinguish it from real bacon that comes from countries like Denmark, England, and Ireland. Lol

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 11:56PM

I thought 'canadian bacon' is just ham.

my o my!

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 03:32PM

My wife bought me a big green egg for father's day

Am far more interested in smoking stuff than I ever was before.

Gonna be a fun journey

Sorry See-Zed (how Canadians say CZ)

We just call it "back bacon"

Go Habs!

Date: July 06, 2021 03:42PM

wowbagger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We just call it "back bacon"

Ha. True too.

> Go Habs!

Absolutely! Hope the approaching storm down South doesn't hold things up (or cause major damage). And I hope to see another game played in Montreal. We need to have that Stanley Cup at home here in Canada.

TB is a daunting foe though. Another nail-biter coming up.

At the moment I'm frantically trying to find a channel on which to watch England in the soccer match. I don't see it listed on my selection. Boo hoo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2021 03:45PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 09:46PM

Here in the US virtually all games are on ESPN. The odd one or two have been on ABC. England has a good group of young players right now and finally a manager, while not flashy, seems to have got them playing as a team. Want England to win, of course, but have a niece in England married to a Dane so will be cheering for Denmark if it can't be England.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 04:18PM

wowbagger Wrote:
> We just call it "back bacon"

Yeah, I seem to remember that from Bob and Doug McKenzie. It might have been in their documentary about the Elsinore Brewery.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 05:45PM

You've got an awesome wife. Big Green Eggs rock. My brother can smoke a 15 lb. pork butt over night without have to get up to add wood chips. Try to avoid buying wood chips at ACE hardware, too pricey. I've had best success with applewood, hickory and mesquite. Look up BGE groups on YouTube. It's almost as cult like as LDS Inc.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 06:50PM

stillanon Wrote:
> Look up BGE groups on
> YouTube. It's almost as cult like as LDS Inc.

The parallel will be exact once an angel takes the BGE back to heaven.

Date: July 06, 2021 07:22PM

I have a Traeger smoker and a Little Chief smoker so there's a polygamous kind of thing going on too.

Date: July 06, 2021 07:48PM

And all this time I thought you were a harmless, mild-mannered dope fiend. . .

Date: July 07, 2021 10:54AM

I get around.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 09:31PM

The BGE came from heaven.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 07:28AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> stillanon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Look up BGE groups on
> > YouTube. It's almost as cult like as LDS Inc.
>
> The parallel will be exact once an angel takes the
> BGE back to heaven.

That summabeach better not even think of it!!!

I have used it twice so far, and I am here to testify of how much my testimony of the power of smoking has increased

(reaching for tissue to wipe my tears)

IT REALLY WORKS!!!

Date: July 07, 2021 03:57PM

> (reaching for tissue to wipe my tears)

Hahaha!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 12:09AM

That was a great movie.

"Now you got me looking at them funny"
- John Candy

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 11:14AM

Please post recipe.

Date: July 07, 2021 11:53AM

For regular bacon use Pork Belly. I buy it whole at Costco, about 9 or 10 lbs. usually runs about $30 US. For Canadian bacon, use pork loin, center cut, not pork tenderloin.

per 1 lb. of meat mix:

1 T. Morton's tender quick curing salt
1 T. pure maple syrup
1 T. brown sugar
1 t. ground black pepper

I cut the pork belly into 3 pieces and put each piece in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag. Or put each piece of loin in a bag. Cover each piece with the cure mix. I weigh the mix, then part it out evenly for each bag. Work the mix all around the meat, push out the air and seal.

Place bags on a cookie sheet and refrigerate, turning the bags and "massaging the meat a bit every day. As it cures, it will draw out water and become liquid in the bag.

Cure pork belly for 7 - 8 days (I go with 8 days). I cured the loin for 4 days, but if they are big, you could go more. I'm sure you could go 7 days and be fine but most recipes I saw only went 3 - 4 days in a liquid brine cure.

When cured, remove from cure and wash well under cold water until all the brine is off. Dry with a paper towel, place on a rack on a cookie sheet and place in refrigerator over night. this will form the "pellicle" layer on the skin which attracts the smoke.

I use the Smoke setting on my Taeger which is around 160F, but it bounces around up to 190F or higher so I watch it and open the lid now and then to get it down to about 180F. I'd say 180F is a good temp over all. lower and slower is best but you can use a higher temp to speed it up. Don't go over 225F. Put on the grill with the fat side up for both cuts of meat.

Smoke until internal temp is 155F or higher for Canadian bacon and 165 for regular bacon. When done, remove from smoker, place on a rack on a cookie sheet and refrigerate over night.

Then slice and vacuum seal. For regular bacon, be sure and slice the right direction, across the grain. Easy on a pork loin, but you have to know which way the grain is on pork belly. The grain runs the length of the belly, so slice perpendicular to that, end to end across the length.

Canadian bacon only needs to cooked until hot, not crispy. Regular bacon cooks longer as I'm sure you know.

The belly bacon recipe is tried and true, been making it for a couple years now. Best bacon I've ever had.

This was my first time with loin bacon so I made a small batch, 5 lbs., and am experimenting with how long to cure it. Mine were 2.5 lbs. each and 4 days was perfect. If I get thicker loins, I may go an extra day or so.

Good luck!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 12:51PM

My daughter's favorite pizza, Hawaiian (which was invented in Chatham, Ontario, Canada...by a Greek dude...not Hawaii) is best made with Canadian back bacon and grilled pineapple....and if you're one of the fruit on pizza haters...bite me...it makes my daughter happy and that's all that matters. lol

Date: July 07, 2021 03:34PM

CB and pineapple used to be one pf my favorites when I was young and they started serving it. Still like it too. I don't get pizza purists. Put what ever you want on it. Its still pizza by definition.....mostly....."a dish of Italian origin consisting of a flat, round base of dough baked with a topping of tomato sauce and cheese, typically with added meat or vegetables."

Flat round dough, tomato sauce, cheese, meat or.....4 out of 5 ain't bad! If it's good enough for dentists recommending Crest toothpaste, its good enough for me for pizza!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 11:15AM

I have a problem with anyone thinking they can tell me what to put on my pizza....and that I give a rusty F*** what they think...lol

Date: July 08, 2021 01:26PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> I have a problem with anyone thinking they can
> tell me what to put on my pizza...

I agree. Now please pass me a piece of the Bats Tartare.

The textures work so well together!

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: July 10, 2021 11:16AM

Couldn't agree more! If someone has a problem with what I eat, then they can entirely, and most painfully go F themselves raw.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.