Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laban’s head ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 10:21AM

So I just read on a different site that the church is no longer teaching that we can be gods/goddesses of our own planets, and are also denying that it was ever taught.

Is this so? And when did it happen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 10:50AM

I thought I was "grandfathered in" as back in the 50's when we were still getting a planet. I already had designed mine, picked out flowers, trees, and birds, and was considering various solar systems. And ow only to find that dream vanished.

There never seemed to an official memo put out to let Mormons know that the timeline to apply for a planet had not only expired but in fact had been retroactively cancelled all together. They prefer to just let time blur and then deny. Clever that.

Well, saves me from having to track down and recycle dinosaur bones to hide on what was once to be my very own Celestial Orb.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 08:09PM

Too bad. The recycled dinosaur bones would not only have been responsible building materials, they could’ve been used to test the faith of your spirit children.

Date: July 08, 2021 10:45AM

Yes. But. I actually was going to skip the whole spirit children thing. No humans only plants and animals who will never invent plastic or want to attend corporate meetings and would bite you leg off if you ever even looked like you were going to require tithing.

And I really don't have the stomach for killing off my only flesh and blood first born. Ewwwww.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 10:52AM

Curious what site you read that on. Can you post a link to it?

On a lighter note, if true, it has to be about the money. Planets aren't cheap and giving them away doesn't make the church any richer. No more planets from the church. You want a planet, go get it yourself. However, if you do get your own planet, as a faithful member you'll acknowledge that the church actually owns your planet via the law of consecration so you will have to run it the way the church see's fit and send in 10% of the resources every month, otherwise you'll face a court of love.

Posted by: laban’s head ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 08:09PM

It was a Facebook site for exmo women. The link was to a TikTok video which I did not watch because I don’t have an account. But the discussion was about 50/50 with those who had heard about the change and those who had not. So of course I came here for further light and knowledge.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 11:30AM

It first started in 1997 when Hinckley lied on national TV to Larry King about the doctrine of man becoming a god. If you're not a god, you don't get a planet or galaxy or whatever.

Eternal progression (taught *publicly*) has been thrown under the bus. Within the church, of course, it's still taught & believed.

https://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon140.htm

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 11:54AM

Comet? can I get my own comet at least? Asteroid? ...

They are probably just retracting back to their bread and butter of faith, baptism and tithing. Anything too original is seen as an oversell and looks desperate. Fitting in and trying to maintain a sliceof the shrinking religion pie is probably the best they analytics... er 'profitcy' can predict for the longer term.

Is this where the no planet thing is coming from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Nhf5utVBE

The church is going bonkers, loging their minds.. again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2021 07:02PM by cheezus.

Posted by: laban’s headnyb3t ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 08:18PM

Thank you for that link. It may be the same as the TikTok video linked in the post. (I didn’t watch because I don’t have an account.)

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 10:17PM

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: July 09, 2021 02:55PM

Ooooohh, thank you..

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 01:06PM

laban’s head Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I just read on a different site that the church
> is no longer teaching that we can be
> gods/goddesses of our own planets, and are also
> denying that it was ever taught.
>
> Is this so? And when did it happen?
If it doesn't fit in today deny it was ever said. I have been seeing this for 60 of my 85 years here on this planet!
The russian marine corps has a word to describe this
"BULLSHITSKI""

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 07:28PM

"12. Do Latter-day Saints believe that they will 'get their own planet'?

"No. This idea is not taught in Latter-day Saint scripture, nor is it a doctrine of the Church. This misunderstanding stems from speculative comments unreflective of scriptural doctrine. Latter-day Saints believe that we are all sons and daughters of God and that all of us have the potential to grow during and after this life to become like our Heavenly Father (see Romans 8:16-17). The Church does not and has never purported to fully understand the specifics of Christ’s statement that 'in my Father’s house are many mansions' (John 14:2)."

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/frequently-asked-questions

The story was covered in the media. For example:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/religion/mormons-get-own-planet-not-so-fast-church-says-n40591

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 07:40PM

I recall hearing about ascending to godhood and getting our own planets in seminary (2007-2010). I don't know if they're trying to gaslight us or if that's one of the "sacred, not secret" teachings they don't want nevermos to know about.

Posted by: Oregon ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 08:20PM

God created the planets and so can you.

From the LDS Website:
Chapter 47: Exaltation

Gospel Principles, (2011), 275–80
1. They will live eternally in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (see D&C 76:62).

2. They will become gods (see D&C 132:20–23).

3. They will be united eternally with their righteous family members and will be able to have eternal increase.

5.They will have everything that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have—all power, glory, dominion, and knowledge (see D&C 132:19

Posted by: Oregon ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 08:24PM

Of course, the real God has issues with the Mormon becoming gods

Isaiah 43

10. Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 07, 2021 09:47PM

Did they run out ?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 12:45AM

Casual Observer: For those who haven't noticed, the church is really in to real-estate. So they revoked the eternal deal and re-wrote the plan of salvation to take away all of your planets and give them to the Mormon church. At first you would become just like God, who creates worlds without end. Then, you only got your own planet. Now, that's all changed too. It's just a plan of happiness now. And you just get to be happy. That's it. If you don't agree to those terms, you can always spend eternity not being happy. So pick out that harp and which cloud you want and get with the program.

TBM Who Just Lost Their Testimony: That Gordon B Hinkley, he ruined everything. You can lie to fifteen million people. But you better not lie to the Sixty-Minutes news crew. It was all a scam to begin with.

The Mormon Church: It looks like a lot of people these days are just offended or they want to sin. We don't need them now anyway. With half a trillion dollars in assets now and all those brand new planets coming our way later, we don't need church members anymore. We don't need God anymore. We are God now.

Satan: It looks like I win after-all. The prophets have all led the people astray and have gotten away with it. No one gets any planets after-all, and those poor suckers all think they're going to be happy sitting on a cloud, strumming a harp for eternity.

Eloheim: Looks like I fucked-up somewhere. Somehow those bastards in Salt Lake tricked me, stole all of my remaining planets, and now ten percent of all new planets that go to them. I should have put a stop to the shopping malls and land purchases when their operations were small. That calling and election thing just got way out of hand.

Jesus (aka Jehova): You mean I suffered and died so that the Mormon church could get fabulously wealthy? That's really messed-up. Maybe I can get a job working for Mr. Nelson. Unlike the other Prophets, he talks about me a lot.

Donald Trump: Make the Universe Great Again

Joe Biden: All of the planets should be distributed equally between everyone.

Bill Clinton: I guess it all depends on what the meaning of the word "Exhaltation" is.

Joseph Smith: What about me? I don't need a whole planet. Just a big cloud and a lot of wives will be enough for me.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2021 02:02AM by azsteve.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 01:16AM

The planet has been replaced with a Happy Meal toy.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 01:39AM

Wendy got the password for Russ' light pen, and while he was asleep...

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 06:25AM

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2225052,2225063#msg-2225063

"Brethren, 225,000 of you are here tonight. I suppose 225,000 of you may become gods. There seems to be plenty of space out there in the universe. And the Lord has proved that he knows how to do it. I think he could make, or probably have us help make, worlds for all of us, for every one of us 225,000.

“Just think of the possibilities, the potential. Every little boy that has just been born becomes an heir to this glorious, glorious program. When he is grown, he meets a lovely woman; they are married in the holy temple. They live all the commandments of the Lord. They keep themselves clean. And then they become sons of God, and they go forward with their great program—they go beyond the angels, beyond the angels and the gods that are waiting there. They go to their exaltation.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1975, p. 120; or Ensign, Nov. 1975, p. 80 Official Mormon publication.

https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1975/11/the-privilege-of-holding-the-priesthood?lang=eng

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 04:36PM

Interestingly, the church has removed that page.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 04:47PM

It came up for me.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 04:51PM

Yes, now it comes up for me too. Previously it said the page was not found.

Not sure what changed.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 10:33AM

I used to think how cool it will be to create my very own planet.

I would create mostly animals and beautiful plants, flowers, and trees.

Then I realized that only the menfolk get to do the planet making; not us wimmenfolk.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 04:48PM

If you no longer get a planet, then do you really need eternal mothers to populate anything? Do the exalted men really require more wives?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 08, 2021 10:00PM

I think the church realized that many members were more faithful than the lying scum who are called as leaders. I think the church is scared that if the mormon lie is somehow remotely true, then they don't want these Molly mormon pure-in-heart women inheriting planets.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 09, 2021 12:02PM

I never actually bit on that particular con.

Date: July 09, 2021 01:43PM

If somebody is going to get their own planet, I vote for Jane Goodall, David Attenborough, Diane Fosse and Bette Midler.

Anyone want to be Oaks or Bednar's creation teams? And, you think the God of the Old Testament was a nasty piece of work, wait til you see what they do.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 10, 2021 12:37AM

First it was never a planet.

Moses 1:37 states that the heavens are many and cannot be numbered by man.

Moses 1:39 for this is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immortality. And eternal life of man

D&C 132:20 referring to those that attain exaltation They shall be gods because they have no end.

Moses 1:35 god created worlds without number.

The promise of exaltation is worlds without end. Heavens too numerous for mortals to count.

Multiple universes not a mere planet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.