Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: St Moroni ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 05:24PM

How come Mormon's store up so much money? Does the richest Church get more people into Heaven? Does the Richest Church get to run up God and Say we won collected the most we win. LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 05:33PM

That's what preachers do. They separate fools from their money using God and promises that they never have to prove. Watching the TV preachers shows this in spades. Mormons didn't make anything up.

God always needs YOUR money! He's very bad with it himself and has to use clergy to manage his money. ;-)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 06:19PM

"You can buy anything in this world with money."

It's [was?] in the Endowment, and Mormons believe it, in spades. Money is how they plan to influence the rest of the world. The Golden Rule: those that have the gold, make the rules.

They used to think the R Party was their ticket, since it believed in the same golden Rule - government of, for, and by the owners. Hence the LDS Inc drive to own as much as possible. And they have done pretty well at it. Hell, they own 2% of Florida. That any entity can own 2% of any state is pretty mind boggling. I wonder what percent of private land they own in Utah. It's a big state, but much of the land is public, rather than private. LDS Inc may own a noticeable slice of the private land.

Trouble is, now that the inmates are running the political asylum, the Q15 are getting very nervous. That was not supposed to happen. Meanwhile, the Blue Party is turning into the educated Yuppie Party, who treat their blue-collar constituents badly, mostly by ignoring them.

The Q15 now have more in common with the upwardly mobile college educated than they do with the QAnon crowd. Mitt Romney (and various other Utah politicians - Cox, Curtis) got the memo. Mike Lee did not.

For those of you not from Utah, some of those names probably don't mean much, but Rusty Nelson and Governor Cox have been so centrist, they could pass for <I can't say the word!>. Cox has been very sympathetic to LGBTQ+, especially T, and has been pleading with people to get vaccinated. He is not even close to being one of the lunatics running the asylum.

And all four of Utah's US House members just jointed the new Conservative Climate Caucus - there is at least recognition that there may be a problem, and the debate should be about what to do about it, not whether it even exists! About 25% of the R House members joined, so all 4 of Utah's members joining is a surprise. So, progress.

Same thing happened in ND WRT to a moderate governor. I am reasonably well acquainted with Governor Doug Bergum. His company (Great Plains Software) hired a lot of my students. He is basically a centrist D, but ran for governor as an R because he knew he could win that way, and he was right.

The next ten years should be interesting to watch in Utah, both in the legislature, and in LDS Inc - the Ammon Bundys versus the Rusty Nelsons. I suspect it will not be pretty.

I'm sure the Q15 still believe you can buy anything in this world for money, but they are not quite sure what it is they want to buy.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 06:37PM

Whatever happened to Mike Lee? He seems to be quietly avoiding the spotlight lately. I'm wondering if he got some smack from the church who probably prefer Romney types?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 07:04PM

Mormons don't store it up. They don't have access to it. The money belongs to the corporation. Whoever runs the corporation has access to the money.

I'm sure members would like to see more money going to charities, but what is most important is that members are obedient in paying their tithing and will receive their reward in the next life: eternal life with their loved ones in their mansions in the most exclusive part of heaven, far away from the non-mormon riff raff.

Most members don't know or care what the leaders of the corporation do with the tithing dollars as long as they are reassured that their obedience will be rewarded in the next life.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 08:45PM

What the church spends on charity, per capita, would buy you a nice cup of coffee.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 11:03PM

Not at Starbucks.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 11:37PM

Trying to decide if that is a comment on the price or the quality.

Date: July 14, 2021 12:56AM

There is a third option.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 18, 2021 08:36PM

Or both...

But, as we all knew, there is a third option;

The third eye, I have, though I see through it.

That's why I don't drink it.

Date: July 18, 2021 08:33PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not at Starbucks.

Oooo,.

Not at StarBUCKS at any price...

I'd rather have better coffee, and a better coffee experience...

Date: July 18, 2021 08:52PM

If you append "experience" to any product name, you can charge twice as much for it. That's why I named my gas station "The Chevron Experience." And now I'm rolling in the dough and Lady Gaga asks for selfies with me.

Read it and weep, EOD.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 14, 2021 10:28PM

The Mormon church does just barely enough good to occupy a place of apparent credibility in society. They don't have real charity. They just do some good when that good serves to promote their own religion.

I think the key to making the mormon church become irrelevant is to replace anything good that they do provide to society, with a replacement alternative. If the kids all went to boys and girls clubs after school, the families all went to other churches on Sundays, and families all gave to other 'real' charities instead of paying Mormon tithing and other Mormon offerings, then the Mormon church would become irrelevant.

I think the idea is for everyone to just resign from the church and then pretend that it doesn't exist. Don't accept anything good from the Mormon church. Don't go in to their buildings. Don't give them any money. Maybe after a hundred years of that, they'll run out of money too. Rather than taking part in quasi-mormon neighborhood activities, carnival type neighborhood events should be held on Sundays. Serve a lot of coffee and some alcahol there. Raise money for other charities at public events. In the other churches, teach the kids the harmful effects of Mormonism. I wouldn't segregate the kids, divided in camps of Mormon and non-mormon. But build an alternative for the non-mormon kids. In high-concentration Mormon areas, make it easy for them to reject Mormonism. If the church resorts to dirty tactics (deciding not to let their kids play with kids from non-member families), call them out publicly on it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2021 10:44PM by azsteve.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: July 16, 2021 05:53PM

"The Mormon church does just barely enough good to occupy a place of apparent credibility in society"

I think you nailed it with this quote.

Date: July 18, 2021 12:07PM

Posted by: Claire Ferguson Benson ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 03:33AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 09:31AM

The LDS church seems to have a different view of charity than other Christian churches that I've seen. Historically, a lot of Mormon charity has been internal, intended for mainly the membership (i.e. bishop's checks to members who need help paying bills, the bishop's storehouse, etc.) And often, work is required in exchange, something that I've not seen in other churches.

External charity (which seems meager by comparison,) seems to be done with an eye to PR and membership recruitment.

I remember seeing an ad on Facebook for the church, promoting a modest charity project the church is doing in Africa. The TBMs were cooing over it. And I thought, the TBMs aren't demanding nearly enough in terms of charity from their church. I think it's slightly better under Nelson's leadership, but IMO the church still has a long way to go.

For other denominations, you see them building and maintaining multiple schools, hospitals, nursing homes, soup kitchens, etc. IMO you see a much bigger reach into the community.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.