Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: InCognito2 ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 10:50AM

In the Del Rio upper bottom end ward
we have a situation where the bishop called his son as his first councillor his other son as gospel doctrine teacher and his wife as RS president. Does the church have a rule against this kind of thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 10:55AM

Nope... they kind of like it. Higher up GA's call their kids as lower GA's all the time. I wonder if it is an attempt to get them at the helm of the ship of zion one day. Hinkley, Holland, and the early church was rife with related individuals running the whole thing. Whom the Lord calls, he probably has some relation to.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 11:06AM

No rule against it. I don't know the particulars of this particular ward, but I can say from experience that some smaller wards outside of the UT-ID-AZ axis often only have two or three stable, active families to pull from.

Posted by: InCognito2 ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 03:55PM

I believe there was a prohibition on a bishop not having his wife as RS pres a few years ago. It might have been in the CHOI.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 10:56PM

That type of instruction indicates that callings aren't inspired from above, as they say. Don't they realize that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2021 10:58PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Charlie Morgan ( )
Date: July 20, 2021 01:29PM

Back in the sixties they started calling members of the church education system. What the firector of the institute said about it was that the senior leadership knew the the pool of GAs was getting too inbred and so they call career church educators. If one thinks back they will remember a slew of church books written by men who were recenty called or about to be called. Their theses became the way to accumulte enough money to buy into the GA United Order.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 04:16AM

TSCC is built on nepotism. From the very beginning, prophets, GAs, and every level have pushed/installed sons, cousins and in-laws.

Many past/present leaders are closely or distantly related by polygamous ancestors as well as inter-marriages between prominent families.

For example, Bruce Redd McConkie, 1st council of the 70 and Q-12.

Through a polygamous Redd ancestor, he was related to Marion George Romney and, subsequently, down to Mitt.

He married the daughter of Joseph Fielding Smith.

So, through family lines and in-laws, he was top tier for promotion.

TSCC has other leaders with similar connections. It always has.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 08:54AM

Mormonism teaches that some bloodlines are innately more righteous, chosen. So nepotism is natural.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 02:39AM

olderelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormonism teaches that some bloodlines are
> innately more righteous, chosen. So nepotism is
> natural.

Exactly.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 01:33PM

Oh, so like, "There is a law irrevocably declared in the Heavens that genealogy really does matter! The corollary is that when you have a choice between two people, chose the one with the 'best' genealogical connection to an early leader."

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, the firstborn, and older brother of Lucifer.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 03:32AM

I think a much better 'calling' is to be a contractor on the church-approved list or a supplier of items that churchco purchases regularly...

I think there's a limited cohort of people who fit into the GA category.

Being a GA? must be totally BORING, listening to boring meetings, deflecting unwelcome questions & complaints, virtually Ignoring anything from the rank-and-file membership.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 03:46AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Being a GA? must be totally BORING, listening to
> boring meetings, deflecting unwelcome questions &
> complaints, virtually Ignoring anything from the
> rank-and-file membership.

This has always been my [nevermo] impression as well.

Despite the financial benefits and the burnished appearance of power and "fame," what I have gathered from RfM over the years is that being a GA has to be one of the most boring, and least internally rewarding, jobs imaginable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.