Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 01:33PM

“The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard, who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by 'God,' one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.” Carl Sagan

Are the Practitioners of Eastern religions emotionally unsatisfied because they don’t believe in a personal ‘God’?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 01:38PM

Seems like calling the Physical Laws the Govern the Universe the Physical Laws that Govern the Universe really makes sense.

Obfuscating the Physical Laws that Govern the Universe by calling it God instead not only makes no sense, but is absolutely jack ass crazy.

Your need to do this perpetually is disturbing, S-cat.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 02:18PM

Seriously? You are back to "What if God means this" threads?

Go back and read the last 500 redundant threads you started on this topic maybe? Maybe Sagan is your Kaku for today? What if God means being unable to learn there are no answers and you can make up whatever you want?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 02:32PM

He just does this because he gets all hot and bothered typing Michio Kaku.

Typing Carl Sagan in his first post is just foreplay. Kaku is next.

Groundhog Day, the Cat edition.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 02:37PM

Yes, but there are six million gods in Hinduism.

How does Sagan explain THAT?

Date: July 19, 2021 02:50PM

There are also co-incidentally six million physical laws that govern the universe. Duh. See how that works? Try to keep up LW.

Date: July 19, 2021 02:55PM

You can purchase them in freeze-dried packets. All you need to do is add the Water of Life, which, ironically, is Scandinavian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akvavit

Date: July 19, 2021 09:05PM

The water of life, indeed! haha.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 03:01PM

>> “The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard, who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous."

Not if you define god that way, right?

>> "But if by 'God,' one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God."

Only if you define it that way, right?

>> This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.”

Well, it sure stirs up Scat's emotions so I would disagree based on empirical evidence. And praying to gravity isn't required....by definition, right?

>> "Are the Practitioners of Eastern religions emotionally unsatisfied because they don’t believe in a personal ‘God’?"

Maybe if you posted your stuff on an eastern religion board you'd get an answer.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 04:41PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >> "Are the Practitioners of Eastern religions
> emotionally unsatisfied because they don’t
> believe in a personal ‘God’?"
>
> Maybe if you posted your stuff on an eastern
> religion board you'd get an answer.

Personally I have only really prayed a couple of times in the past 20yeats since leaving religion I inherited, once when I lost my daughter (temporarily) and once when my Dad was on his death bed, both times I prayed to ‘Providence’, which I do believe in. And both times it helped me to feel more at peace and gain control of a situation that was out of my control. So it was emotionally satisfying for me to pray at those moments, which both turned out as well as could be expected.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 06:30PM

If panpsychism is true, what if God is the lint in your navel?

Date: July 19, 2021 06:42PM

Would that make people with "outies" atheists?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 09:08PM

We should ask Dave.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 20, 2021 11:03AM

True story. I have a niece that had an outie belly button. She had older brothers and would see them standing at the toilet going pee. One day my sister saw her walk up to the toilet and hold her little outie button, trying to pee like her big brothers. She was probably about 2 at the time.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 20, 2021 11:54AM

What a cute story! :)

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: July 20, 2021 11:37AM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> But if by 'God,' one means the set of physical
> laws that govern the universe, then clearly there
> is such a God.

If by god i mean a particular rock or all hamburgers or whatever, then clearly there is such a god.

I can play the tautological silliness game too!

Date: July 20, 2021 12:01PM

Yes, but don't forget to work Einstein or Sagan into your statement. Or at least Kanye West.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: July 20, 2021 12:30PM

or... by god one may mean a cloth which is whetted with soapy water and used to clean dishes....

or.. by god one means to engage in a sexual act involving vibrating toys and a monkey...

or... a natural being that looks exceptionally attractive in camouflage underwear...

or... a place to plug in your vaccuum.

HH =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.