Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:08PM

I think that the University of Utah Utes should become the University of Utah Saints. Who could possibly complain? It'd be the same as using the name of any other fictitious being, like the Pixies, the Wizards, the Full Tithers, or the Lamanites.

While I'm at it, why use the names of animals as a team name? Based on expectations, a team called The Alligators would always be expected to prevail against the Toledo Mudhens. And what chance would a Game Cock have against a Lion or a Ram against a Grizzly ... or a Quaker against a Vandal?

At least in a game between the Red Sox and the White Sox, a sense of proportionality exists.

Animal names should be forbidden and nouns or adjectives should prevail. So you could have the BYU Proselyters, The U of U Heathens, Dixie State Deprived, Utah State Inebrieants . . .

Notre Dame Devoted, Penn State Knitted Liars, USC Extras, UCLA Agents, Harvard Prostitutes, Arizona State Drywall, Texas Lard, Texas A&M Pool Noodles...

North Carolina Hammers

Florida State Swamp

Fifth Street Elementary School Prepubescents

Rancho High Hormones

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:16PM

They should just use the name of the city they are from....Kansas City is playing Oakland....and leave it at that.

And they should stop playing the national anthem. WTH does the national anthem have to do with a sporting event? Each team could have their own team song. They could get celebrity artists to write them like Lady Gaga or John Legend or Ozzy Osborne or the Sex Pistols.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:00PM

So how do you handle New York Jets/Giants? LA Rams/Chargers?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 05:51AM

Bravo. I was going to point out the same thing about USC and UCLA. Both in Los Angeles, bitterest of rivals since forever.

There is a family story about my grandfather, who attended Berkeley, pouring a beer over the head of his best friend, (USC grad) when his friend made a nasty remark about the USC/UCLA game.

I hope Grandpa knows that his granddaughter attended UCLA!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:21PM

Ahhhh Ehhhh . . .
-Do they know what they're guarding? ;-)

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 10:43AM

Not just in January. It has been many years since I have been to Cleveland. I used to travel there often and hopefully it has improved. On my first visit I wondered if the Luftwaffe had just come through.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 04:02PM

I spent six-and-one-half years in Cleveland, 1989-1995. Survived six winters, the Baseball stadium relocation and strike, and the football desertion to Baltimore; but I've never been very interested in professional sports.
Twenty-six years later, I miss some of the folks I worked with, but not much else about it. The company doesn't exist any more.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:30PM

The BYU Eternal Companions

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:31PM

I always thought this strange.

University of Utah Utes

How about this?

University of America Americans

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:05PM

The Utah Utes have the blessings of the Ute tribe. Utah pays the Utes and provides and pays for their education K-12 support and free college.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/03/04/ute-indian-tribe-signs/

Date: July 24, 2021 02:20AM

I am very pleased to learn this! Thank you.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:38PM

Why didn't they go with the obvious choice: Lamanites?

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:59PM

The Houston Texans... are there 4 million or 34 million mascots? It is like they are claiming Dallas as potential mascots and fans in a round about way. That one has never made sense. Should be Harris and Surrounding Countyites.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:22PM

I had friends who were involved with the Helena Brewers minor league baseball team. When they were looking to change the name, my two suggestions were -

- Helena Handbaskets

- Rocky Mountain Oysters

They went a different direction, lost money, sold the team. Should have done Handbaskets!

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:15PM

Stupid choice. They just changed "In" to "Guar." Might as well have changed the name to Cleveland Schmindians. What exactly is the team guarding?

They're guarding traffic.

"'Guardians' reflects those attributes that define us while drawing on the iconic Guardians of Traffic just outside the ballpark on the Hope Memorial Bridge."

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/cleveland-indians-change-name-guardians-141628780.html

(Tip for Cleveland: To be iconic, a local feature has to be well known outside the city, like Mt. Rushmore or the Hollywood sign. The Guardians of Traffic are not iconic.)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:52PM

Everyone should take a cue from the Rocky Mountain Vibe whose mascot is a Flaming S'more. ( Flaming as in fire not as in Queen.) Coolest mascot ever.

Although there is a protest currently underway by a bunch of disgruntled graham crackers who feel they have been denigrated but the chocolate and marshmallows have given a thumbs up as they feel their integrity has not been compromised.

https://imgur.com/8tGHJl5

Also the Modesto Nuts mascots are fantastic. The Walnut is my favorite.

Posted by: BernieBrewer ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:55PM

The logo looks like the Halos. Early 2000s.

Posted by: BernieBrewer ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:56PM

Alternate jersey logo.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 03:32PM

The Utah "Virgins" [quote marks included]

Cheer:
V I R G I N S
Virgens! Virgins! Here we come!

Song: We Are the Virgins, sung to tune of We Are the Champions

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 02:39AM

I've always thought that "Jazz" did not fit a Utah team. Made sense as the New Orleans Jazz, but the only Utah (Ogden) jazz guy of note is Red Nichols, from the 1920s.

How about the Utah Green Jellos?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2021 02:41AM by snagglepuss.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 02:44AM

Baseball nicknames:

Bronx Bombers (Yankees)

Bums (Brooklyn Dodgers, whose motto was "Wait Till Next Year!!!" Dem Bums!)

Gashouse Gang (St. Louis Cardinals, spoofed in a Bugs Bunny cartoon as the Gashouse Gorillas. Loved the way the Philadelphia Athletics were spoofed as prissy little guys.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2021 02:45AM by snagglepuss.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 11:03AM

snagglepuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always thought that "Jazz" did not fit a Utah
> team. Made sense as the New Orleans Jazz, but the
> only Utah (Ogden) jazz guy of note is Red Nichols,
> from the 1920s.
>
> How about the Utah Green Jellos?
Red Nichols,
yes! and being a dixieland cornet player I was and still am a great fan of The Five Pennies records

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 04:56PM

Or the Utah African Americans, since the team probably accounts for 90% of them and hence is accurate by definition.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 09:12PM

the Utah based NBA team could be called/ named the "Hinckleys" , as a way to (finally) acknowledge and to pay tribute to the person who was really responsible for bringing an NBA team to Utah ....just think how damn ugly and repulsive that mascot would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuN_ZDJKkPo

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 01:08PM

The Utah Stripling Warriors would be a nice complement to the BYU Cougars.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 04:17PM

Elderolddog should be happy to know that there used to be a hockey team not named after an animal. The old Seattle hockey team were called the Metropolitans. They joined the old league in 1915 and were disbanded in 1924, leaving Seattle without a hockey team for decades. Oh yeah, and they were the first US team to win the Stanley Cup.

http://seattle-metropolitans.com/team/stanley-cup

Some folks did consider reforming the team, but they couldn't use the name, hence why the Seattle NHL team is the ONLY Kraken I want to hear about on this board.

Date: July 24, 2021 08:06PM

????

There are all kinds of teams not named after animals. Winnipeg Jets in hockey. Utah Jazz. Denver Nuggets. Seattle Supersonics, Green Bay Packers, NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, LA Dodgers. Etc, etc. I know diddely squat about sports, and even I can reel names off.

And all those other Kraken are lying dead on the sidewalks, stinking up the place. Euww.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 08:17PM

I know the Metropolitans weren't the only team not named after animals, I'm just excited for Seattle to have a hockey team again.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 07:20PM

ookami Wrote:
> Elderolddog should be happy to know that there
> used to be a hockey team not named after an
> animal. The old Seattle hockey team were called
> the Metropolitans. They joined the old league in
> 1915 and were disbanded in 1924, leaving Seattle
> without a hockey team for decades. Oh yeah, and
> they were the first US team to win the Stanley
> Cup.
>
> http://seattle-metropolitans.com/team/stanley-cup

ookami, you should totally get this replica sweater and wear it to the Kraken games:

https://www.ebbets.com/products/seattle-metropolitans-1917-authentic-hockey-sweater

I can personally vouch for the impeccable quality of their work (hockey sweaters, hats and jerseys). Also, they’re right in your own city, doing a heck of a job. Check them out.

Date: July 24, 2021 04:27PM

> Elderolddog should be happy...

He is, he is!!!  Preternaturally so!!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 10:56AM

This has now reached the point of completely ridiculous.
Let's all now pander to whomsoever screams the loudest!!!
Why don't we jus rename the country to
The Disoriented States Across North America?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2021 10:57AM by thedesertrat1.

Date: July 25, 2021 11:47AM

What happens if one does not attend to a squeaky wheel?

We don't have a lot of folksy content regarding this issue, do we? Is Wisdom a moving target?

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 08:13PM

We also need to get rid of Pirates and Vikings (they are obviously white historically). And celebrating/glorification of raping and pillaging is so last century.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 08:31PM

macaRomney Wrote:
> We also need to get rid of Pirates and Vikings
> (they are obviously white historically). And
> celebrating/glorification of raping and pillaging
> is so last century.

It took one second to find information that dispels one of your contentions: There were Black pirates:

LA times article:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-jul-02-me-46893-story.html

Excerpt:

"Despite slavery on the mainland, black pirates on the ocean had the right to vote, could bear arms, got an equal share of the booty and were even elected captains of predominantly white crews.

"Pirates even raided slave ships and plantations and gave blacks a chance for freedom by joining them..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2021 08:33PM by Nightingale.

Date: July 25, 2021 08:31PM

Zap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2021 08:31PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 25, 2021 08:33PM

macaRomney Wrote:
> And
> celebrating/glorification of raping and pillaging
> is so last century.

If I recall correctly, you were celebrating/glorifying raping and pillaging a month or two ago when you called upon the Anglo-Saxon peoples to resume the use of violence against other races.

Date: July 25, 2021 08:36PM

Also, who was doing the raping and pillaging?

My ancestors (Celts) back a ways. They were brutal in constant warfare, whichever leader or land they were "defending". Too, the tragedy of the Irish situation has had reverberations in my family, despite its ancient origins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2021 08:38PM by Nightingale.

Date: July 25, 2021 08:47PM

As macaRomney constantly reminds us, it's only the last set of rapers and pillagers who count. The Celts may have defeated many earlier peoples throughout Europe and even Anatolia, but in Great Britain they were ultimately defeated by the Anglo-Saxons so it's the latter who are cool. Because macaRomney, like his hero, likes winners.

Psst. Don't tell him that only his Y chromosome is predominantly Anglo-Saxon: the British mitochondria remain those of the Celts and earlier peoples going all the way back to some who were not white and delightsome.

Skeletons in the closet are so embarrassing!

Date: July 25, 2021 09:00PM

Y chromosome. Lol

Date: July 25, 2021 09:37PM

Yes. The genomic record shows that the Anglo-Saxon invaders were men who monopolized the Celtic women. But the same pattern characterized the Celts, who combined their male DNA with the pre-existing female mitochondrial DNA and so on to Cheddar Man and his brown-skinned sisters.

So any modern Briton is still nearly 50% the same as the islands’ original inhabitants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2021 09:39PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 27, 2021 07:27PM

"So any modern Briton is still nearly 50% the same as the islands’ original inhabitants."

I should correct that statement. What I should have said is that the gender-based DNA is still somewhere close to 50%, the deviation due to the admixtures that happened later. But since the Y/mDNA patterns were similar in most of western Europe, newcomers from those regions would not disrupt the pattern much.

That doesn't change the fact, though, that modern UK residents remain mainly Indo-European/Aryan on the male side and indigenous on the female side.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 27, 2021 07:42PM

But Mel Gibson looked so good as William Wallace.

Date: July 25, 2021 08:53PM

Excerpt from National Geographic article:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/scientists-raid-viking-dna-explore-genetic-roots

"In popular imagination, Vikings were robust, flaxen-haired Scandinavian warriors who plundered the coastlines of northern Europe in sleek wooden battleships. But despite ancient sagas that celebrate seafaring adventurers with complex lineages, there remains a persistent, and pernicious, modern myth that Vikings were a distinctive ethnic or regional group of people with a “pure” genetic bloodline. Like the iconic “Viking” helmet, it’s a fiction that arose in the simmering nationalist movements of late 19th-century Europe. Yet it remains celebrated today among various white supremacist groups that use the supposed superiority of the Vikings as a way to justify hate, perpetuating the stereotype along the way."

The article includes a description of discovered remains and DNA studies which shed light on origins of Vikings.

Whatever the DNA discoveries reveal, my point here is that it's worth expending the effort to check and recheck information we've picked up along the way, as well as our sources.

Things change as more information is gleaned.

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 10:56PM

The long-time Atlanta minor-league baseball team was known as the Atlanta Crackers.

While at one time the term "Cracker" wasn't problematic, it's now widely considered to be an offensive term for a poor white person, especially a Southern white.

I'm reasonably certain that when the Atlanta Braves eventually get around to changing their own nickname, they're not going to select "Crackers."

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 08:36PM

Thank heavens my favorite team does not have to worry about its name. Simple and to the point. Liverpool Football Club.

Date: July 25, 2021 08:37PM

Good point, kentish.

Our local pro team is the Vancouver Whitecaps. We like it.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 05:18PM

One BIG problem.

Check out clevelandguardians.com

The name is already taken by a Roller Derby team - and has been in use by them since at least 2011.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 27, 2021 04:38PM

The Cleveland Indians were named that in honor of an Indian player over a hundred years ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/some-native-americans-applaud-cleveland-indians-name-change-say-it-n1251183

Date: July 27, 2021 07:08PM

tumwater Wrote:
> The Cleveland Indians were named that in honor of
> an Indian player over a hundred years ago.
>
> https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/some-native-am
> ericans-applaud-cleveland-indians-name-change-say-
> it-n1251183

I don't see or hear anything in the link that mentions what you say. Am I missing it? I hear someone saying they're happy about the change.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 27, 2021 07:21PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Indians

"With Lajoie gone, the club needed a new name. Somers asked the local baseball writers to come up with a new name, and based on their input, the team was renamed the Cleveland Indians.[31] The name referenced the nickname "Indians" that was applied to the Cleveland Spiders baseball club during the time when Louis Sockalexis, a Native American, played in Cleveland (1897–99)"

But see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Spiders

"For years the Cleveland Indians have claimed Spiders outfielder Louis Sockalexis as the inspiration for the team's name, which dates to 1915. Sockalexis played three seasons for the Cleveland Spiders, from 1897 to 1899, and is often credited as the first Native American to play professional baseball at the major league level. During his time with the Spiders, the press often referred to the team as the Indians or "Tebeau's Indians".[6] The Cleveland Indians claim has been disputed, however, including in a 2012 Cleveland Scene essay titled "The Curse of Chief Wahoo", which argues the Indians organization has cited Sockalexis in part to justify continued use of the controversial team name."

The essay referenced above

https://web.archive.org/web/20140117015226/http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/the-curse-of-chief-wahoo/Content?oid=2954423&showFullText=true

""Why exactly would people in Cleveland — this in a time when Native Americans were generally viewed as subhuman in America — name their team after a relatively minor and certainly troubled outfielder?" asks Joe Posnanski, an award-winning sportswriter originally from Cleveland, now with USA Today.

Indeed, the man for whom the team is purportedly named played in only 96 games over three seasons, compiling just 367 at bats in his career — about half a season's worth for a typical ballplayer. But spotty performance wasn't the half of it.

"In all versions of the story, Sockalexis had to deal with horrendous racism, terrible taunts, whoops from the crowd, and so on," Posnanski wrote on his blog. Among those who cling to the feel-good story, "nobody ever mentions that Sockalexis may have ruined his career by jumping from the second-story window of a whorehouse. Or that he was an alcoholic."

In fact, according to NYU history professor Jonathan Zimmerman, "when alcoholism ended [Sockalexis'] brief major-league career, sportswriters reported that he had succumbed to an inherent 'Indian weakness.'"

Like Posnanski, Zimmerman calls the franchise's Sockalexis story "simply not true." He presents evidence that the franchise was renamed the Indians by sportswriters — not to honor Sockalexis, but to recall the sensational "fun" that he would inspire in crowds some 15 years earlier, when newspapermen would jokingly refer to the club as the "Cleveland Indians," even though it was formally named the Spiders.

Of course, it didn't hurt that the new name also happened to reinforce the image of Natives as anachronistic savages, the ballclub a fearsome force to be reckoned with. "In place of the Naps, we'll have the Indians, on the warpath all the time, and eager for scalps to dangle at their belts," wrote the Cleveland Leader in announcing the name change on January 17, 1915. In fact, none of the reports from the four daily Cleveland newspapers even mentions Sockalexis, but each is replete with negative stereotypes."

"When sociologist Ellen Staurowsky combed through the organization's promotional material from the time before the name change, she found no mention of Sockalexis until 1968, which was after Native Americans who had come to Cleveland under the federal relocation program began to protest the name and logo. "There is a vast difference between speculating the Indians were named after Sockalexis and making the claim the franchise now makes, that there was an intentional decision to honor him," Staurowsky told the Associated Press in 1999."

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: July 27, 2021 08:46PM

Piss on 'wokeness' in all its forms. I identify as being offended by it, so who's going to get rid of it? Can we please get back our normal, sane world again?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 09:36AM

I was touring my undergraduate campus this past weekend to see buildings old and new. I noted that one of the dorms had been renamed, so I figured the prior honoree had become politically incorrect. A friend confirmed that.

I think the name "Guardians" is silly, but we'll probably get used to it over time. How about the Phoenix Xeriscapers? :)

Date: July 31, 2021 06:19AM

You want silly? Utah Jazz. And Bees. And Grizzlies. And Real Salt Lake, which is identical to the Kansas City Royals, except in Spanish. Where are the America Firsters about that?

My point is that pro sports are intrinsically silly. If anything, Cleveland Guardians is insufficiently silly. What kind of goofy mascot goes with that? Captain Moroni and his plus-sized gladiator outfit with his garmies hanging out the bottom would I suppose be pretty goofy.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 01, 2021 03:50PM

Kinda glad that they didn't go for "Cleveland Foster Parents."

Date: August 01, 2021 04:01PM

Cleveland Cleavers?

Date: August 01, 2021 04:18PM

There was a time when the name Beaver Cleaver was an innocent utterance...

Date: August 01, 2021 04:24PM

I was thinking of a different sort of cleaver.

Date: August 01, 2021 04:27PM

And now?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.