Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 06:20AM

This morning, I read an article in The New York Times about people who have changed their minds about COVID-19 vaccines after someone in their family gets deathly ill. The article had photos with it, including one that showed a woman wearing a cloth face mask under her nose as she sat with her husband, Russ, a 42 year old father of four, currently teetering on the brink of death, having caught the virus. There's another guy in the photo who has an N95 mask around his neck.

The woman in the photo, name of Mindy Greene, said, “We did not get the vaccine,” she wrote on Facebook. “I read all kinds of things about the vaccine and it scared me. So I made the decision and prayed about it and got the impression that we would be ok.”

Mindy and the three of her kids who are eligible, are all vaccinated now. I pegged them as Mormons, though, even before I realized they were in Provo. Why? Because of the Mormon speak... saying things like "prayed about it" and "got the impression".

It's so strange that I've never been LDS myself, but I can pick them out at ten paces now. There was also a photo of them praying with their arms crossed.

I have to wonder, if Mindy was "impressed" not to get the vaccine and thinking she and her family would be "okay", how does she feel about Heavenly Father, now that her husband is so sick? Will she still trust those "impressions" she gets? With the burning in the bosom still be a benchmark of "truth" for her?

Time will tell. I'm glad she changed her mind about vaccines, though, and is trying to get people to get the vaccine, if they can.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/us/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-regret.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR03VeTo3HMUbWxuPPtCM2DAdMg6Yv482Lc3qlLtnsj37a2z6GCEIlMBEXE

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2021 06:23AM by knotheadusc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 08:46AM

Yep, definitely Mo. I missed the fact that both visitors in the patient’s ICU room were improperly masked. The journey from clueless to having a clue is going to take a while. Oy vey.

Have you noticed how many people are saying they got vaccinated, and now deeply regret it? I’m sure there are a few, but it doesn’t happen often. I’ve never heard, or heard of anyone saying that.

OTOH, plenty of regret among the unvaccinated.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 09:19AM

I've seen it play out numerous times in my classroom career. Some people learn the easy way (i.e. by listening to scientists, medical professionals, and public health authorities.) Some people learn the hard way (either by getting a serious case of Covid, or by having a loved one hospitalized.) And some will never learn at all (the ones who are on their deathbeds insisting that it's anything but Covid, or the ones who played roulette and got a mild case or not at all.)

You can explain things until you are blue in the face, and some people still won't get it. Human nature, I guess.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 10:23AM

Her promptings of course were true.

It was God's will and this is a trial of faith.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 10:33AM

My Area Authority/MP/TemplePres brother refuses to be vaccinated. My suspicion is he feels totally protected by his Second Annointing. The most arrogant person you would ever meet.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 11:16AM

There seems to be a lot wrong with the photo. I’d think they (visitors) would have to gown up in PPEs and not touch the patient. In the next photo, she’s out sitting in what appears to be a waiting room with all the same contaminated clothing.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy !

All lot of people were not even allowed to visit their loved ones. I’m really confused.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 11:38AM

Some would say she is too stupid to know that though vaccinated she can still pass the virus along, including Delta, to others. I said no, not too stupid to know, but too selfish to care.

Is it only Utah that would allow this type of behavior in a hospital?

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 12:55PM

I was surprised by the photo, too. I am surprised that was allowed.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 12:29PM

The jay dubs told my aunt that god would protect her from covid. She died.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 03:00PM

I've never heard that JWs as a group are anti-science.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 05:08PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never heard that JWs as a group are
> anti-science.
===============================

Hard to distinguish from pro-ignorance.

Not being mean, look:
If you have a rigid Belief-system, then science - which employs observation and reason - is diametrically opposed to Belief-method just on basis of design.

Pro-Belief means needing to systematically exclude information, because that pesky intrusive world does not generally conform to Belief and so does not support the Belief. Equals intentionally shutting out the world. Equals willful ignorance.

So you do not have to be anti-science, to be anti-science.
Doesn't mean they're not wonderful people

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 05:15PM

Well reasoned.

But when one spouts falsehoods that endanger others, being nice is overshadowed by the harm caused by the lies. That’s where we are with COVID: politically motivated liars and their duped followers are killing people.

“Nice” can’t fix that.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 05:33PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But when one spouts falsehoods that endanger
> others, being nice is overshadowed by the harm
> caused by the lies. That’s where we are with
> COVID: politically motivated liars and their duped
> followers are killing people.
>
> “Nice” can’t fix that.
================================

Agree!
Oh boy do I ever.

- At the same time wonder if ALL the children followed the Pied-Piper, or whether a few children were irascible misbehaving skeptics.
(I mean -- consider what the dude was wearing, and that - what was it, a flute!? I mean, tootle-oo would YOU have trusted THAT dude!?)

And then, with the availability of vaccines, and all of the evidence now before us -- available on SMART *lol* phones -- I think of Darwin. Somehow. Dunnowhy. Loose mis-firing radical neuron most likely.

And then you know, I feel a leeeeetle bit guilty, or at least questioning of myself
-- because I should be way lots more upset about circumstances than I am.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 01:10PM

vaccination. My daughter's in-laws for one. All of them. They aren't stupid people and aren't extreme TBM either. I was waiting anxiously for my turn and I got an appt immediately. I'm scared to death of the disease and I have quite a few comorbidities.

My sister did get it as she didn't get vaccinated and I can't figure out why. Probably just lazy. I wasn't talking to her for a year and then when she got COVID I took her some food (left it outside) as I was concerned. We all were. She still is suffering from the fatigue and the headaches. She works for the IRS part-time (she is retired on a pension) and so I guess she'll have to get the vaccine. I think they want you to wait 90 days, but I'm not sure.

When my kids were young, the chicken pox vaccine wasn't very available except for kids who had cancer or something like that. The hell we went through with the chicken pox. One twin had it and just as she got better, the other twin got it. I actually got sick and my doctor said that is typical to get sick when you are nursing sick kids. My kids had the chicken pox SO BAD. My daughter cried herself a hernia. I slept in the recliner with them at night so they could sleep with me holding them.

COVID scares the hell out of me. I have no clue if my neighbors have been vaccinated. OH MY! I think I'll keep to myself even more.

My sister is still kind of mormon and she is a school teacher. She said that when she got the vaccine she felt like she no longer had a bullet aimed at her head. Her daughter in her 40s, also a teacher, didn't get it. Don't know why. She isn't mormon in the least.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 05:41PM

It's not just getting Covid, it's the potential long term consequences that are scary. I remember early on in the pandemic reading an article in which a Chinese physician was quoted. She said that every single one of her Covid patients had lung damage. What she said really stuck with me.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 03, 2021 12:50AM

I definitely had it as a kid (my mother was an RN and verified this.) Then when my son was small and he came down with it, I got it again.

We were relocating due to the now-ex's job, so I was in San Diego visiting with my mother and grandmother when I broke out with it. I was terrified of giving it to them, but that didn't happen.

I had to call the office I was supposed to report to, and tell them that I wouldn't be able to report until my doctor in San Diego verified in writing that I was no longer contagious. I had to make an extra copy of his letter for the airline. I still had some visible (but obviously fading) spots.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 03, 2021 01:26AM

It does happen. Rarely. One would expect the same thing of any disease that is contagious and endemic: like COVID.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 03, 2021 04:59PM

There's almost no virus that someone isn't going to get more than once. Most people won't contract chicken pox twice, but I treated a patient in my internship who caught it for the second time from a student in her first year of teaching. She had photographs documenting her earlier case of chicken pox. It wasn't a mild case - she was covered with the nasty pustules. She was about five years old with her first case, which took her out of the other risk category of being six months of age or younger with her original case of chicken pox. She wasn't found to be otherwise in any way immunocompromised. She was just unlucky where the varicella-zoster virus was concerned.

The woman also contracted shingles [a delayed manifestation of the same virus] at the age of twenty-seven, and again at thirty. I'm aware of her later medical history because she and her family are now our neighbors, and she's my wife's close friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2021 05:00PM by scmd1.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: August 03, 2021 02:18PM

Got a mild case of Covid a few months ago. He hasn't had the vaccine; probably won't, given his FB rants.

My husband is 78, I'm 70. We were both vaccinated as soon as we could be. Brother wants to come visit us soon, but I am wary since he's not been vaccinated. I'm thinking of telling him not to come unless he gets the vaccine. Am I right?

He's from SoCal and we're in NorCal. Every instinct I have is to tell him not to visit any time soon... I am angry that he is so obstinate and stubborn about it, with his conspiracy theories. I don't follow him on FB and only check his status every few days.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 03, 2021 05:54PM

I would absolutely tell him not to visit. The vaccine isn't perfect--and he sounds insufferable.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 02:03PM

It would be one thing if the unvaccinated were only hurting themselves and each other, but they are hurting everyone with their stupidity and stubbornness. They are allowing the virus to use their unvaccinated bodies so it can incubate and mutate into something that could eventually outsmart the vaccine. We could all have to go through another lockdown. The economy will never recover. Such selfishness.

I've gotten to the point where I have little sympathy for individuals who are choosing not to be vaccinated because they're believing the non-scientific hype. If they get COVId, too bad.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 04:45PM

LW has commented on most of the egregious nonsense in azsteve's post, but there was one item I think was missed (yes, it was an extremely target-rich environment)

>What baffles me the most though is how people see this un-tested experimental drug that is the vaccine.

The vaccines went through the same Stage I, II and III trials all vaccines go through. The ones that were approved (some did fail) were tested on roughly 30K to 40K people. That also is typical for stage III trials.

Since the emergency authorization, there has been just over a year since the stage III trials submitted initial results, and in addition we now have a year's worth of data to evaluate long term efficacy and safety. That is being reviewed right now, and if no problems show up, several of the vaccines should have full approval by the fall, if not sooner.

Also, roughly 4 billion doses have been administered world-wide. So for each person tested in a stage III trial, an additional 100,000 people have received the vaccines. That makes them the most tested vaccines in human history. The problems found so far have been a rare blood clotting issue in pre-menopausal adult women, and rare myocarditis in teen males, if I remember correctly, both treatable.

"Untested?" As if....

ETA: more than one vaccine passed a stage III trial, so it is more than 40K people that were tested. That would lower the "100,000 to 1" stat I gave, to 25K to 1 or thereabout. They would still be the most widely observed "experimental" vaccination administrations in human history, by a very wide margin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2021 04:50PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 03, 2021 02:13AM

If only Dr. Fauci were the Flaming-Sword Angel.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.