Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: happy90 ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 09:53AM

Anybody got any intel on the church of Christ. What’s it like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 10:09AM

I know someone who attends. Just my observation but I see it as s little legalistic. They do not use any kind of musical instrument in worship and some view it as a "restored" church. I think it grew out of the Cambelites which , of course, was the group Sidney Robson belonged to before he fell in with Joseph Smith. Others may have more information .

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 01:01PM

I believe the name was Rigdon

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 02, 2021 01:07AM

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 02, 2021 12:59AM

I have an aunt by marriage whose husband's family is affiliated with the Church of Christ. She considers them to be the epitome of legalistic and argumentative. She said she belongs to a discussion group of people with interest in the Church of Christ which she checks about three times a year. She said that each time she returns to the group, the two main arguments are about why instrumental music should or should not be allowed and whether or not churches should be allowed to have kitchens. They cannot get past those two issues.

In Bible Belt areas, there tend to be multiple Churches of Christ even in relatively small towns. This is primarily because they take very literally some scripture (perhaps Matthew 18) that advocates going alone or with a small group to speak with someone in the church when one has a problem with the person. If the person does not listen, then the entire church tells the person he or she is wrong. If the person still won't listen, the person is told not to return to the church. The person often then starts his own Church of Christ, often only a few blocks from the original.

They're incredibly sexist. Women are to remain silent in the church. They can sing along with the congregation or in the choir, and they may teach small children, but they otherwise must be silent and have no say. They cannot even read scriptures aloud. If they have questions, they are to ask their husbands. It's unclear what a single women is supposed to do if she has questions.

My aunt told me an old joke about the Church of Christ. Why does the Church of Christ not recommend horizontal sex? Answer: It might lead to dancing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2021 01:02AM by scmd1.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 10:20AM

Here's a few thousand words on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ

Posted by: happy90 ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 10:26AM

I’m actually referring to the Mormon sect that belies JS sons are the correct line of prophetic succession. I believe it was originally called the Church of Christ.

Date: July 31, 2021 10:34AM

Posted by: anon right now ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 11:08AM

I been to visit at Community of Christ. They try to keep the Book of Mormon low-key and focus on Bible stuff.

They are interested in social justice and doing good works for the sake of helping people.

There is a piano and other instruments some Sundays.

No paid clergy.

Covid reduced their membership. Now they sit in a circle of chairs at the local branch. Mostly gray haired people.

Don't see much future for their organization

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 11:14AM

differing only in their words.

"Success" (in the way of being reasonably satisfied) is in "finding your tribe"
-- which is identifying the religion that has words copacetic to yourself.

But the one vital requirement above all others is one must first have Belief-mind.
Otherwise regardless of the words, the very tune will annoy.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 02:56PM

They have lady apostles, who get to be on top during sex.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 03:09PM

Don’t confuse those denominations. What people think of as “Church of Christ,” yes, the one that doesn’t allow musical instruments, is big in my neck of the woods-the Mid-South and Northern parts of the Confederacy. It is the sect started by Joseph Campbell (sometimes referred to as Campbellites). It formed out of the 19th century Restoration Movement as did Mormonism. There are even some links between Campbell and Smith and early Mormon founders.

Community of Christ is a direct offshoot of Mormonism, the ones who believed JS Jr. was the rightful heir to the throne. They are formerly the Reorganized Church of JC of LDS. There is no longer much of a connection. They are pretty much mainstream Generic Christian.

United Church of Christ (UCC) is a pretty progressive Christian sect. I like them and have been to some of their services and they are very social justice oriented. Around here they often are the ones at the forefront of homeless initiatives and charities for the needy as well as LGBTQ advocates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2021 12:43AM by NormaRae.

Date: July 31, 2021 05:08PM

RLDS == Reorganized COJCOLDS (not Restored). I think that was basically a legal workaround, since the Utah church had the legal rights to the COJCOLDS name.

A few decades ago they decided they needed a fresh coat of paint and dropped the RLDS name for Community of Christ. Now Mormons are trying to rebrand with their "Don't Call Us Mormons" campaign.

At least the RLDS had the good sense to come up with an alternate name before dumping their previous one.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: August 01, 2021 08:24PM

I have their version of the BoM around here somewhere, but can't locate their D&C I had at one point. The latter, as I recall, varied significantly from the Utah-based cult.

All and all, their modern theology and practice is closer to liberal strains of Christianity. So far less damaging than LD$, Inc., but still utter bulldink.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.