Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 01:46AM

Wikipedia says 1800 years before Christ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_triple?wprov=sfti1

At the conclusion of the very thorough Wikipedia article there are a slew of references indicating that people who wanted to know about this probably already did.

I didn't know that Pythagorean triples predated Pythagoras, even though I took high school geometry in 1959-1960! Good thing I'm part of a group of people hanging out on a recovery from mormonism message board!

#blessed

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 02:00AM

Beautiful.

Thank you.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 02:29AM

They knew that if you had a rope with ten knots in a loop staked out in a triangle with one side having three knots, then four knots, and then five knots, it would be a right triangle.

What they didn't have is the proof.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 01:24PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What they didn't have is the proof.

Oh, the poetry in this statement for this thread.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 10:02PM

Analysis of the Plimpton 322 tablet from 3800 years ago. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L24GzTaOll0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2021 10:04PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 10:06PM

...which is a little over a thousand years before Pythagoras.

Date: August 05, 2021 02:15PM

Well, will wonders never cease. Didn't expect to see my old bud Pythagoras in an RFM thread.

Poster "anybody" is correct that the Egyptians knew of some Pythagorean triples. The Babylonians went beyond that in that they knew the formulas that will generate as many unique Pythagorean triples as you care to crank out.

The equations are pretty simple. The trick is realizing that there are equations, and then figuring out what they are. That was the clever trick.

This is not a new discovery about Babylonian math. It's been known for over a century, plus it only scratches the surface of what Babylonians had discovered. I've been threatening to write a post about that, and suppose I need to get on the stick before SC steals my thunder, and DR1 attributes all their discoveries to the Anunnaki.

I assume most people think serious mathematics began with Pythagoras. I know I did. Some of y'all probably even know when Pythagoras lived (around 600 BCE).

Euclid ws about 300 years later, and was most famous for writing a treatise on plane geometry (with a few chapters of number theory, like how to calculate a greatest common divisor).

Euclid's book is still in print. Barnes and Noble carries two editions, one plain, one annotated. It is quite the tome, but cheap since there is no copyright to pay. A textbook that is still in print after 2300 years is a record that will almost certainly never be broken. The book was actually still used as a geometry textbook well into the 1800s, until publishers and authors discovered there was money to be made selling spiffed up editions with color pictures and things like that.

BTW, a Pythagorean triple is three integers a, b, and c that have the relationship that a^2 + b^2 = c^2. It is a bit of a surprise that any integers would have such a relationship. If you don't restrict yourself to integers, you can take any two numbers for a and b, and calculate c as long as you know how to do a square root (which is easy. You hit the square root key on your $7 calculator :)

3, 4, and 5 is the smallest Pythagorean triple. 5, 12, 13 is the next one.

An obvious extension question is: are there equivalent Pythagorean triples for powers higher than 2? For example, are there any triples such that a^3 + b^3 = c^3 ?

Turns out the answer is "no", and that that proposition was extremely difficult to prove, though very simple to state. 17th century French attorney who was more famous as an amateur mathematician, Pierre de Fermat, scribbled in a math book that he had found a marvelous proof that the relationship was impossible for powers higher than 2, but the margin of the book was too small to contain it. Some time thereafter Fermat died, and it took another 4 centuries of concerted effort to come up with a very long and complicated proof.

For the details,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat's_Last_Theorem

Fermat was almost always right when he said something was true, but did not supply the proof, so there was hope that there actually was a short clever proof, but the general consensus now is that he was wrong about his "last theorem". The theorem was in fact true, but most mathematicians who care believe that there is no simple proof.

But getting back to the original topic, a^n + b^n = c^n has an infinite number of trivial integer solutions for n = 1. 3^1 + 4^1 = 7^1. Yeah, it's just plain old addition. Any two integers can be added together, and the answer will always be another integer.

There are an infinite number of less trivial solutions for n = 2. 3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2. 5^2 + 12^2 = 13^2. And on and on. You can't take any pair of integers for a and b, and find a "c", but there is a formula which will tell you which integer pairs will have a solution, and the Babylonians figured it out.

And there are no integer solutions at all for all values of n greater than 2. It took nearly 4,000 years to add that little bit of knowledge.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 02:51PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been threatening to write a post
> about that, and suppose I need to get on the stick
> before SC steals my thunder, and DR1 attributes
> all their discoveries to the Anunnaki.

You are all talk and no walk, my friend.

Such a tease. . .

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 02:50PM

Ah, one more giant leap in my recovery!

I'll sleep better tonight as I dream of geometry!

Date: August 05, 2021 02:51PM

That would be "Geometry with the light brown hair" in the dream of course.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 02:52PM

Trigonometry is better dream material: all curves and pointy things.

Date: August 05, 2021 03:18PM

Thanks. Now I need a cold shower!

Date: August 05, 2021 03:35PM

See, for example (pretty picture in upper right of page, and pretty formulas farther down, but they are an acquired taste):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

And for some pointy things, the corners of a square wave. Square waves are made up of odd harmonics of trig functions, which are not even remotely square. Well, I guess they are remotely square if combined in the right way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbs_phenomenon

And that is some of the math that is based on high school trig.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 10:09PM

Leonhard Euler’s history teacher: “Euler? … Euler? … Euler? …”

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 05, 2021 10:12PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.