Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 08:24PM

https://www.ksl.com/article/50222472/churchs-first-presidency-urges-vaccinations-calls-them-safe-and-effective

Utah County has low vaccine rates and lots of "no mask" folks.
SL County council just voted not to require masks in school.

Even the Prophet O god can't get his people to do the right thing.

what is next?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 08:27PM

He's speaking as a doctor not a prophet.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 09:24PM

LOL Love it.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 07:03AM

my quack father literally said these words to me as we were fighting about vaccinations.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 10:26AM

It is an unsaid sentiment for the Mormons who refuse the vaccine that I know.

Posted by: daverichards1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 09:09AM

And for faithful members who say WOW the Lord called a doctor to be his prophet just before a plague hit? Hmmmmm. The Church said get vaccinated, wear a mask and protect yourself and others.Then said, it's a matter of personal choice.
So the millionaires who run the Church all got their shots, but the average members well it's your own choice?
Hmmmmmm.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 10:57AM

daverichards1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And for faithful members who say WOW the Lord
> called a doctor to be his prophet just before a
> plague hit? Hmmmmm. The Church said get
> vaccinated, wear a mask and protect yourself and
> others.Then said, it's a matter of personal
> choice.
> So the millionaires who run the Church all got
> their shots, but the average members well it's
> your own choice?
> Hmmmmmm.
As for being "called of God"
Nelson slugged his way up through the ranks for several decades to grab off the top job. DON'T KID YOURSELVES

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 09:50PM

He ought to call it "revelation" and that not getting vaxed offends Jesus and is a major victory for Satan.

Coroners in Utah and Idaho will quickly become very busy with all the exploding mormon heads.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 10:45PM

I think it is interesting that alleged TBMs are apparently choosing to follow someone other than their very own personal prophet.

Has Jesus picked another spokesperson to whom he reveals mundanity such as how to keep a firm grasp on one's liberties?

The idea that Russellmania is only to be obeyed when such obedience is in line with one's political beliefs is fascinating. Will there soon be a Tea Party Prophet whose voice can be heard in the wilderness?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 10:47PM

There is a tea party prophet. His name is Mike Lindell, and he has prophesied that Donald Trump will become president again tomorrow.

Then how will you feel, Hey Zeus?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 12, 2021 10:46PM

He was speaking as a man and not as the prophet. We don't believe that the black race was cursed, nor do we beljeve that there are Quakers living on the moon. Disregard what this silly man says. Prophets are wrong all the time.

Posted by: daverichards1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 09:16AM

OH NO. I am devastated to hear that. Prophets are not infallible? Heck I could have told you that during the times of Ezra Taft Benson. There was fallibility big time and many still believe his false teachings and hypocritical John Bircherism.

Date: August 12, 2021 10:55PM

They've figured out that Rusty is saying one thing, while Jesus is telling them something different!

Why bother with a prophet when you've got a direct line to his boss?

Date: August 12, 2021 11:20PM

Regarding the freeing of the Israelite slaves from Egyptian bondage...

Did I miss something in the bible about Israelites boasting about "I ain't painting no marks on my door jam!   I'm calling bullpoop on this 'destroying angel' baloney!   Hey, this Moses dude was raised by Egyptians!   No way he has our best interests at heart!"

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 06:26AM

He’s a profit. The church probably owns lot’s of Pfizer shares.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 09:02AM

I consider myself still fairly fluent in Mormonese. I could still sound like a Mormon if I put my mind to it, and when Mormons say certain things, I get the nuances an outsider might miss.

However, I saw this post on facebook where an überTBM was explaining Rusty's job to him. It was an exercise in Mormonese that I would never be capable of creating. I hate to copy the whole thing here, and it is a public FB page, so I urge you to follow the link.

This is the sort of rebellion that I think terrifies the Brethren.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fericmoutsos%2Fposts%2F10158354238714352&show_text=true&width=500

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2021 09:02AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 09:25AM

that thread on FB was really stunning to read.
All I could think of was the line from that Apollo movie, "Houston, we have a problem." Wow!

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 10:57AM

The reason the LDS church spawns so many offshoots is because time and again, members start thinking that their personal revelation beats whatever a prophet might say.

Now, the funny thing here is that he quotes the leadership of the church to defend the idea that he is in charge of what happens in his own family. Obviously, this is logically inconsistent. If he's in charge, then the leadership can't tell him that because they aren't in the position to tell him that.

But, lookie-lookie, wasn't it the prophet who, acting for God, had the priesthood keys to seal this dufus's family in the first place (which the prophet empowers subordinates to perform in his stead in the temple)? Obviously, given that it also takes the top leaders to perform the whole cancellation of temple marriage thing, they clearly have the authority under the rules of the faith to unseal them. (More earthily, beyond temple divorces, Joseph Smith and Brigham Young felt that they had the authority to take other men's wives, so we know that unsealing is completely in the realm of the prophet's authority.)

So if this idiot feels he has the priesthood authority to preside within his own family, he's forgotten where the line of authority comes from to place him in that position to begin with. And were Nelson to decide to purge and unseal antivaxxer families, well, they could leave the church, but they couldn't rightly protest on the way out the door that the church didn't have that authority.

Mind you, I don't believe any of this bullshit, but it's more consistent with the church's own mental gymnastics that this idiot should be falling in line behind the prophet, rather than questioning his authority.

Tyson

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 04:44PM

I was also thinking that if the wife in a priesthood-controlled family like this doofus described, decided she wanted to be vaccinated, the husband would be perfectly within his rights to overrule her.

Patriarchy. Isn’t it marvelous.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 10:08PM

My dad argued all the time that my mother having her own thoughts and opinions meant she wasn't supporting his priesthood authority.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 13, 2021 12:23PM

One just revealed that she had been praying for a sign of whether to get the vax or not. And Nelson's message is a "miracle from heaven."

So now both are planning to get their shots.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 10:56AM

Just to toss something into the mix of this discussion, here's an article on the effectiveness of Chloroquine.

Published over 15 years ago by the same organization Dr. Fauci heads.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 04:22PM

it shoud be noted that the referenced study was an in vitro study in cell cultures.

It does not provide any evidence that chloroquine is effective in vivo for treating SARS (or Covid) infections.

Date: November 29, 2021 04:29PM

tumwater, there were several studies on chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine over the 14 or so years between your study and the middle of the COVID epidemic. Several of those, like yours, found positive results in vitro.

Encouraged by those findings, the focus of research switched to in vivo tests and revealed that those drugs had no significant effect on people with COVID-19. To the contrary, it turns out that both medicines amplify the negative effects of liver and kidney damage caused in some people by the disease.

So that's the state of knowledge today. Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are great in petri dishes but have no significant effect on actual humans other than to aggravate some forms of COVID harm. They are, on balance, harmful.

Date: November 29, 2021 05:16PM

The Petri dish basically only contains the targeted organism. You can see the effect of the additive on the target.

But until you use the additive injected into a human, you can’t know the overall usefulness of the additive. Sure, it may take out the target, but what’s it doing to this, that or the other part of the body?

Sometimes, as in treating cancer, the damage is acceptable. But then that’s why we all go to med school . . .

Date: November 29, 2021 05:55PM

There are three sequential questions here, EOD.

First, does the drug work in vitro?

Second, does it work in vivo?

Third, are there negative side effects.

In cancer, chemo works in vitro and in vivo. Because it works in vivo against a severe illness, the negative side effects are often deemed acceptable.

But chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine do not pass the second test, meaning that there is no measurable positive effect against COVID. The two purported COVID drugs are therefore the equivalent of taking chemo when you don't have cancer.

Date: November 29, 2021 07:00PM

I steadfastly support you agreeing with me.

Date: November 29, 2021 08:15PM

Well now I'm having second thoughts. . .

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 05:00PM

I WOULD NEVER listen to a Mormon... Even if I was. Mormon.

They don't even listen to themselves.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 05:24PM

My cousin has 7 children 3 of them are out in the mission field at this moment. She is against the covid vaccine. Only the 3 missionaries are vaccinated in her family the rest the 4 siblings her husband and herself are not. Very interesting. My cousin is usually all about following the prophet but the covid vaccine has her choosing to not follow the prophet on it. She said either they had to get the covid vaccine or they could not serve a mission so three of her children got the covid shot only so they could serve missions.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 05:47PM

It must suck to be a member of tow cults at the same time. But Mormons are skilled at reconciling opposing "truths". I'm confident she'll come out of this dilemma with her "morality" intact.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 09:58AM

Rusty says get the shot but IMHO, it's not because he cares about his flock; it's because TSCC more than likely, has vested interests in big Pharma.

Date: December 01, 2021 01:57PM

What does she do when she has a runny nose?

How far can “…if you don’t have anything nice to say…” be pushed until people snap?

. . .

. . .

Okay, I’m good now. Bless her little pea-picking heart and bless my little pea-picking heart.

Date: August 12, 2021 11:00PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vaccinations are nice, but the experience of
> highly vaccinated countries is that they don’t
> really change the Covid whack-a-mole game.

That's not true, Bradley. [I] provided documentation two days ago. Moreover if what you say were true of countries, it would be true of states and yet what we observe in the US is that there is a very clear difference between states with different vaccination rates.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.