Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 12:27PM

My neighbor who I do like posted this. Wanted to say something negative, but didn't.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5073397776005800&set=gm.974395226733912

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 12:33PM

It is still all about GET THE MONEY

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 12:40PM

Nice quote if you equate having peace with being smugly brain dead. And if you need self satisfied memes to prop up your beliefs.

They feel good being there dressed in their heavenly best because they can feel for those moments that they part of the "in crowd" and that is their deepest need. The glow of superiority trails them as they leave the premises.

Reminds me of the thousand times I heard someone say, "Every time I go to the temple I learn something new." What can you even say to that when you've been there and seen the dog and pony show for yourself, and have to think: "This is the best God can do?"

Date: August 21, 2021 12:45PM

Things that they say about the temple are some of the worst I see or hear. My TBM daughter even found it weird and she knew everything as I had told her when she was an anti-mormon. She keeps going I'm sure to force the issue I guess.

But she is living 7 or so hours from the Anchorage temple and has been for 4 months now. I know they haven't gone (besides they won't leave their dog that long without grandma to babysit him).

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 02:49PM

Exactly THIS. I only went through temple endowment ceremonies 5 times in the 15 years between getting my own endowments and resigning my membership. And they were all in the first 4 years and before they took out the death oaths and other Masonic shit. I kept a recommended for quite awhile to attend weddings. But I kept thinking I’d eventually feel good about it. Or I’d feel that peace people claim to feel. All I ever felt was sick. I knew damn well I’d never suffer my life to be taken before I’d reveal the passwords and secret handshakes. And I knew mormon God knew it. I’d be sick for weeks after going.

Through the years I’ve come to realize, especially now that the pantomiming your own violent demise crap has been removed, that people DO feel peace when they go. The peace that comes to people who have an insatiable need to feel better than everybody else. Just carrying that piece of paper that they pay so dearly for gives them comfort. No matter how unhappy they are, no matter how hard they try to convince people that they really are happy with their horrid spouse, no matter how badly their kids or their job or the expectations of their so-called church weigh on them, they think they have proof that they are better than 99.7% of the people in this world. And they have the paper to prove it. And using that paper to get into their special clubhouse helps them take a deep breath, relax and let that smug superiority settle over them like a warm blanket for 2 hours, or however long the current revised endowment lasts. If I could have ever gotten past the nonsense of it, I probably would have craved that feeling too.

Unfortunately, 10% is getting way harder for young families to fork over than it was in my day. And the facts and truth about where the temple ceremony came from are a few computer clicks away. The ones who want to really be sure the superiority high is worth it and go looking for that info go down the rabbit hole rather quickly. I am the first one who will tell them the church is right about one thing—-if you want to keep your belief in the church and it really makes you happy, especially if the temple gives you peace, don’t read ANYTHING except what the church puts out. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to believe nonsense. I’m only against them using it to hurt others or push it on others.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 10:46AM

Put your left hand up and your right hand out. Say the new name, switch your robe and dance all about. Get in the prayer circle and do the hoky Poky and give out the hosanna shout.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 01:29PM

"Every time I go to the temple I learn something new."

I've never had the guts to ask: "What, exactly?"

And then when they about the love of God or peace or whatever, ask "You didn't learn that the 20 times you went before? Or the lifetime you've spent listening to the "prophet" or studying or praying??"

When I hear things like "Every time I go to the temple I learn something new." I think of the numerous TSCC videos, movies, etc., where JS or another character, or a member, looks up from (usually) the BoM with a profound "Oh my God" look (for some reason, along with the post-baptism-in-the-river Bro-hug, Mo' productions/actors seem to nail this look perfectly--better than Nick Cage discovering the next clue in 'National Treasure').

OTOH, maybe getting away from a screaming family of 5 for a few minutes is a TBM's idea of peace... :-)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 01:59PM

At first glance, 'All are Equal' in the temple. In theory, you shouldn't be able to tell where the guy or gal next to you is on the social ladder.  You know, the bank president and the oil change guy are equal in the eyes of the lord, right?

So my question, about which I have zero basis for projecting your responses:  Can you tell the rental temple clothing from the custom-made garb?  (Is garb short for garbage? [sorry, no bonus points])

In other words, can you dress to impress in the temple?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 12:28AM

Customized aprons is where it's at!

Date: August 24, 2021 08:53AM

We didn't and don't use them in the temple. They are something someone would steal. My daughter has two of them since she is the only grandchild who is a mormon.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 07:20PM

During the part where the temple robe had to be switched (from one shoulder to the other) caused my Dad to lay his sash on the back of the chair. After I helped him (tying that string from the hat to the lapel was hard for him) we couldn't find it!

We looked high and low and I even walked behind the back row. Naturally the temple workers were furious, but then they started to look for the missing sash.

Since it was part of a rental, the workers decided to head down to acquire another sash. In the meantime, some guy began making obnoxious cat calls while the session was halted. He would clear his nose, throat and cough real loud. When another sash was brought up, he murmured "'Bout time."

Who would have thought that there were thieves going through the temple?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 02:27PM

You can find peace only until the temple matron quickly shoos you out of the Celestial Room. So maybe 5-10 minutes of peace, tops.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 02:53PM

5-10 minutes? You're very optimistic there, summer.

I got about 45 seconds trying to pry the stunned out of my mind before I got the bum's rush. I think they want you out of there before any of it has a chance to sink in.

Date: August 21, 2021 06:36PM

I was sure that if I could just meditate in the celestial room, I could find some answers to my life, but I never got through the veil quick enough to sit down. The last time I went through the veil, I had my robe on inside-out. I had to start over after I changed things around. Surprised they didn't make me do the whole session over. My husband and my best friend were standing in the CR waiting for me and it was a long time.

As far as clothing, I had to rent a dress when I did my endowment and I didn't have a little bag to put my extra clothing in and I had to carry what clothing I had in a sack when I went the first time. I told my husband I'd never go again unless I had everything, so he made sure I got what I needed at Christmas. It didn't get used very much.

I gave my daughter a gift card to get her temple clothes as I wasn't putting her through the embarrassment I went through my first time. Yes, they treat you like less than if you aren't dressed as nice as them and it is obvious. The old ladies always treated me poorly. They did on my wedding day until my mom showed up and my mom was not an assertive person, but just the fact that an "adult" showed up, they left me alone after that.

The temple is hideous.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 11:50PM

“…hideous.” Is the best disciptor of the temple and many of its “officials.”

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 12:45AM

After years of trying to learn why they hustle you out of the Celestial room so quickly, I think I may have an answer.

They don't want you comparing notes on your experience. That could lead to questions. And of course, you can't ask other Mormons, because you aren't supposed to discuss the temple experience.

Who else has has questions on why they rush you out so quickly?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 11:24PM

Submitting yourself to ritual torture makes you special was my take away.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 05:01AM

Where's the peace?

I was dragged there as a youth, then later as an adult.

No peace was found in the parking lot. There were others arriving late and you had to hurry as to get your spot in the line that was forming.

There was no peace showing your TR at the entrance. Supposedly, they had an intimidating brother who would carefully screen you and use his perfect priesthood discernment to weed out all the unworthy patrons.

You had to hurry in the men's locker room. If it was busy, you might get cut off the session you were trying to attend. They would arbitrarily force people to wait another 2 hours if it was crowded.

Like everyone else, I was unable to remain in the celestial room because the workers drove everyone out.

Back at the locker room, you were encouraged to hurry up to get on with your day. I always felt happy and jovial (that I was getting out of there). I often had a grouchy member walk up to me and put his hand on my shoulder~ which I detest being touched by strangers. I sometimes whistled and I would be reprimanded to remember my oath to avoid light-mindedness and loud laughter. All that from happily whistlin' a tune.

Finally, there's the big mormon race to escape from the temple's parking lot. Almost always a near collision because two station wagons refusing to stop or yield to traffic. Lots of honking and finger pointing.

As a youth, we were told to stop walking around the temple grounds. A temple official told us that it looked bad to have wayward youth wandering around without supervision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2021 05:02AM by messygoop.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 12:25PM

One time I went through with a friend visiting from Wyoming. He was a rancher and a crusty old guy.

Finally made it through and when they came to rush us out he stood up and "God Dammit, I'm getting my moneys worth so leave me the hell alone" Very LOUD - and no one bothered us again. About 20 minutes later we left.

Apparently he was not shy about voicing his needs during sessions. His StPrez said he dressed down the live session actors one time with "Speak the hell up, we can't hear a damn thing you are saying". Looks of surprise - but the rest of the session was loud enough to hear.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 10:36PM

That is one guy who knew what he wanted regardless of sacred shushing and sacred shooing out loitering in God's house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2021 10:36PM by Elder Berry.

Date: August 24, 2021 08:56AM

Actually, my dad was one of those crusty older farmers. I assume he probably cussed some time while in a temple, but he didn't go very often. Skipped the 25 years between when he got married there and when my sister got married there.

He considered the WofW blasphemy. He drank coffee, alcohol, and chewed tobacco.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 10:42AM

Christ said our bodies are our temples. He never mentioned anything about funny handshakes getting you into heaven. He did make it very clear the old temple system started by Moses had fallen into corruption and predicted the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem. Who demanded that Christ be crucified? The church leadership. Not even Jesus could trust church leaders.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.