Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 12:54PM

I wonder how many heads are exploding in Utah County now.

In related news, the Utah legislature passed a law forbidding state government bodies from passing mask mandates, and allowing them to overturn mandates issued by public health officials.

SL County Public Health Director issued a mask mandate for K-6 a couple weeks ago because nobody in that age group is eligible to be vaccinated. Last week, the SL County Council voted down the mandate.

Yesterday, SLC Mayor Erin Mendenhall basically said "hold my beer", and instituted a mask mandate for all schools operating in city limits. I assume this flies in the face of the state law, and that she either thinks the courts will back her up, or by the time this gets through the courts, the current surge will have subsided and masks will be a moot point.

The mask mandate at BYU did come as a bit of a surprise to me. They are not part of state government (at least in theory) so the legislative ban does not apply to them, but the people covered by the mandate are all eligible to be vaccinated. The BYU ban is inclusive, regardless of vaccination status.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 01:02PM

OH what a face
It's a disgrace
to be showing it in any public place

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 01:35PM

I'm betting some guys might sneak some facial hair growth under those masks. Hee Hee.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 01:22PM

I know I am.

Date: August 23, 2021 07:48PM

Snort

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 01:40PM

They are following the prophet.  Good for them!

Date: August 24, 2021 05:16PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>     They are following the prophet.  Good
> for them!
you spelled profit wrong again

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 02:28PM

BYU should require Covid vaccinations as well. But requiring masks is a good start.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 03:00PM

Requiring masks is a start, but they really should require proof of vaccination for all students and staff like other universities are doing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 03:11PM

As our conspiracy theorists will soon note, this represents the complete surrender of the church's moral authority as it runs willy-nilly* to embrace the latest "science." If God had wanted people to live healthy and happy lives, he wouldn't have created COVID--and besides, those who die of the disease thereafter have natural immunity and will never suffer from it again!

*Yes, EOD, I did beat you to the use of "willy-nilly" for the first time in the history of RfM. Eat your heart out.

Date: August 21, 2021 06:46PM

Funny how God protects from COVID virus but not from the effects of the vaccine.

It's almost like God is willy-nilly about such things.

Posted by: now aon ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 05:01PM

as someone who works with college students, I am happy to hear of an institution that cares about the health of its students & employees.

Mine does not: no vaccine requirement. no mask requirement. I meet with strangers without social distancing. I cannot so much as inquire about their vaccine status or offer them a mask.

it is morbid but I console myself with, "well, if I get sick and die, at least my employer provides life insurance to my survivors."

Date: August 21, 2021 07:29PM

May I ask where generally you work?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 05:22PM

The GOP used to at least have some congruence in their positions, or at least I believed they did way back in the day... but what happened to the "conservative" notion that the more local the governance, the better?

Not only are they enacting state wide anti mask mandates, but they're willing to cut funding in the districts that buck the law, thereby victimizing the children in two ways, by increasing risk of illness and hurting their education,

Makes 'em look totalitarian, not "conservative", whatever that means anymore.

I being conservative means doing whatever it takes to satisfy their cult members.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 05:36PM

I've been puzzled by that inconsistency as well.

Date: August 21, 2021 07:30PM

There is nothing conservative about today’s GOP, sadly.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 05:39AM

Hell, there is nothing GOP about the GOP. It isn't the party of Lincoln, it is the party of bat crap crazy. All of the things I was taught about it as a kid are no more.

Date: August 22, 2021 06:10AM

Exactly.

The GOP once was a great and principled party. Now it doesn’t even have a platform: it is the party of rage.

Posted by: now aon ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 11:08AM

in reply to Lots wife I work in a Midwestern state with a GOP governor who trusts the citizens "to do what is right" rather than issue a mask mandate.

nearby, a college of medicine, a college of public health, world-reknown covid-research expert

yet the governor is courting votes for the next election

might it be those supporters will get sick and perish, thereby declining in number?

Date: August 23, 2021 06:16PM

Thanks. I know where you are describing. I know Dr. O.

You are surrounded by expertise.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 08:02PM

No surprise. Mormons are good about masking and covering things up.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 02:25PM

Assures they won't be opening a BYU-Texas campus any time soon.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 05:10PM

Usually you can mandate almost anything, but the enforcement of such mandate is the real challenge.

Date: August 24, 2021 05:14PM

if there is a way to further subdue the members behold it will be put in place

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.