Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 10:39PM

Because they heard the suggestion on Fox News.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_61207a02e4b0e5b5d8ea3b55

Who heard it on the “Intellectual Dark Web”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wx5z5y/why-is-the-intellectual-dark-web-suddenly-hyping-an-unproven-covid-treatment

And they call those of us who choose to get vaccines ‘sheep’
Ironic, isn’t it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 11:09PM

Date: August 22, 2021 01:08AM

You don't see the irony here,
Today I went downtown and drove past a whole group of protesters in front of the Capitol in Olympia, protesting the vaccine mandate and calling for our governor's resignation. I rode by on my bike and gave them all the finger.
It felt kind of great.
But had I done that 8 months ago I probably would have been shot.
Two other counter protesters were shot and killed in that same spot in the last year. With the same Trump flags and Don't Tread on Me flags and Blue Line flags. And signs, that say,

"Land of the Free (crossed out)Vaccinated
Home of the Brave (Crossed Out) Sheeple"

I kid you not.

I think it's hillarioussif it wasn't for people I know and love drank the coolaid

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 01:27PM

Blaming Democratic governors might become an Olympic Sport!

Washington hasn't elected a Repub governor (Spellman who was in office '81 to '85) in about 40 yrs!

Washington's higher minimum wage makes it difficult for employers in Idaho border areas to hire low-wage workers; the tax differences make lots of news with Oregon (no sales tax) & Idaho which has a personal income tax....

some Idaho residents often drive to Washington to purchase groceries (no sales tax on groceries here, no bottle return-refund).

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 11:12PM

Don’t figure the dose if you can’t do the math.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 01:00AM

Even if you can do the math don't do the dose !

Date: August 22, 2021 10:16AM

For Heaven’s sake don’t try LDS.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 11:14PM

This is so frustrating!

For the first time in all of human history, instant communication, and scientific knowledge and learned expertise, are available around the entire planet....and yet people CHOOSE to fall for all of this dangerous, and very possibly lethal, mumbo-jumbo?

For those who freely make the choice to proceed in these stupid directions, what is the practical difference TO THEM between "today"/2021 and the Bad Old Days of centuries ago?

They might just as well be cooking up bat stew in a witch's caldron under a full (or a new) moon for all of the good our advanced knowledge provides to them.

How is it possible to communicate with people who make a clear choice to injure (or kill) themselves when they have good/excellent alternatives available?

Jeez!!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 07:39AM

I agree, Tevai, it's disheartening to see that, in an age of unpredented access to information, so many choose to believe utter lies and nonsense.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 07:42AM

It becomes easier to understand if you realize that the pursuit of truth is not a particularly high priority for most human beings.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 01:14AM

On a bright note, the people of Mississippi are now a whole lot less likely to get a bad case of the worms.

Speaking more seriously, I would hope that the FDA would take a hard look at these spurious claims. I know that the FDA comes down hard on MLMs where false medical claims are made for their products. My guess is that the "news" personalities keep their statements just this side of legal. i.e. "Some people believe that..."

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 03:25AM

But they see the FDA as one more part of the vast governmental conspiracy dedicated to erasing their freedoms. They see the United States government as satanically un-American.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 01:21AM

They're determined to make America great again by any means necessary, even if they have to poison themselves to do it.

I mean, it'll work, but it's just sooooo slow.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 01:31AM

Natural De-selection, it's a bitch but mostly for the survivors who 'see the light' later / after their friends / relatives are in the ICU near-dead.

still, some nurses & other health care pros reject the very science that's supposed to guide their helping others.

Jeez! is spot-on.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 03:47AM

Ivermectin is also used in heartworm treatment and preventative. That's the stuff we gave our dog, Ginger, in the 80s when she got heartworms...

What are people thinking?

Date: August 22, 2021 07:41AM

From what I remember reading, it was (and may still be) one of the main cutting agents/contaminants found in cocaine in the UK...

Perhaps someone should study the incidence of Covid among cokeheads in the UK...

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 03:11PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps someone should study the incidence of
> Covid among cokeheads in the UK...

Ha. Good one.

Stranger things...

Date: August 22, 2021 04:11PM

Actually, after further research, I appear to have mixed it up with another dewormer, Levamisole, although Ivermectin has been found as a cutting agent too.

Sorry to have misled the board ;-)

Date: August 22, 2021 05:20PM

Damn! Now I’ve ruined some perfectly good blow.

You owe me, Tom.

Date: August 23, 2021 04:44AM

I prefer the rope-making variety.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 10:45AM

Meanwhile, they complain the COVID vaccines were untested, rushed to the public, that there are negative side effects, and that we're being used as guinea pigs.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 12:04PM

And my acquaintance who is an anti vax anti mask adherent truly believes Ivermectin can cure damn near anything. Fool.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 02:58PM

Some people have their BS detectors wired backwards. They will reject anything the experts say works (with a ton of evidence to back up the claim) and embrace anything the experts say is useless or damaging.

All for the pleasure of say "so there! You think you're so smart."

I don't think that even qualifies as "Dunning-Kruger." It's more a case of having emotional development frozen at the stage of a typical two-year-old.

Date: August 22, 2021 04:57PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Some people have their BS detectors wired
> backwards. They will reject anything the experts
> say works (with a ton of evidence to back up the
> claim) and embrace anything the experts say is
> useless or damaging.
>
> All for the pleasure of say "so there! You think
> you're so smart."
>
> I don't think that even qualifies as
> "Dunning-Kruger." It's more a case of having
> emotional development frozen at the stage of a
> typical two-year-old.
True, kind of like the rise of ‘flat Earthers’
Thanks to the internet and YouTube, people see one convincing YouTube video about the Earth being flat and they decide to go to Flat Earth Society Conferences and feel a sense of community. So despite all evidence to the contrary, there are those who believe it anyways, mainly for the social benefits of finding a tribe of like minded people the rest of the ‘sheeple’ mock.

Ironic, isn’t it?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 08:41PM

She keeps sending me "evidence" from largely discredited medical personnel that falls far outside the norms of standard medicine or accepted science. I ignore it.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 01:05PM

There are studies going on around the world to ascertain whether ivermectin has clinical value in treating the patients with the virus as can be seen in this meta-analysis:

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/08000/ivermectin_for_prevention_and_treatment_of.7.aspx

The jury isn't out on it yet, but that's a damn fool reason to take it instead of the vaccine.

Tyson

Date: August 22, 2021 03:23PM

Tyson Dunn Wrote:
> The jury isn't out on it yet, but that's a damn
> fool reason to take it instead of the vaccine.

It sure decimates the common argument that many people don't want to get the vaccine because "it's not yet FDA-approved". Neither is invermectin recommended for COVID-19; in fact, the opposite, as it has not been proven effective and, in fact, is demonstrably harmful.

Many say they are waiting for the EUA for the vaccines to be superceded by FDA Approved status. Does that mean there will be a huge crush of folks anxious to receive the vaccine at that point?

Time will tell but at this point I'm thinking not.

Maybe the EUA explanation sounds good (even 'scientific') to them but it comes across as just an excuse. And one that many likely don't even understand.

It's reminiscent of a kid throwing a temper tantrum and then not knowing how to back down and save face.

It's too bad the whole thing became so confrontational. It *is* hard to back down when one has been shown to be wrong. But hey, no questions asked - the vaccines are waiting for anyone who wants one, whenever (at least in North America).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2021 03:25PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 02:08PM

The quest for herd immunity may be thinning the herd.

Date: August 22, 2021 05:02PM

Razortooth Wrote:
> The quest for herd immunity may be thinning the
> herd.
That’s one way to achieve herd immunity, let the virus run its course, like Sweden. Don’t shut down anything, just live your life responsibly. Want to live? Eat healthy and don’t get heart disease or diabetes, like America, which did shut down and killed way mire people than Sweden, per capita.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 05:11PM

Sweden had to reverse course with their previous policy once cases and deaths started to skyrocket.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 04:00PM

For some folks, herd immunity means "I dun herd that if'n ya'll don't b'leeve in it, you gits the immunity from it"

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 05:49PM

"An Alabama man who called himself the 'vaccine police' told pharmacists at a Missouri Walmart that they will be 'executed' if they continued giving COVID-19 shots"

Alabama for the win!

https://www.insider.com/man-storms-walmart-to-put-staff-on-notice-vaccine-shots-2021-8

"The video shows Key and a handful of supporters praying in the parking lot of the supercenter before entering. During the prayer, a person could be heard saying: 'Thank you, Lord Jesus, for waking up Springfield' and 'help us put the fear of God in these pharmacists.'"

"'Okay, guys, this is the vaccine police. We're outside of Walmart about to go in. We're going to put Walmart and the pharmacists on notice to let them know that there [sic] in violation of the Nuremberg Code,' Key said in the 30-minute live stream.

"He continued: 'We're going to let them know that 45,000 people within three days of receiving the vaccine dropped dead. And if they give one more vaccine after today, after being put on notice, then they can be hung up, and they can be executed.'"

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 06:29PM

My boyfriend's sister wasn't working and was living in an apartment her friend was allowing her to live in. She got hold of insulin from the vet and was using it for her diabetes.

I don't understand why people think they can medicate themselves and with medications that are made for an animal.

I heard that Pfizer vaccine is supposed to get FDA approval this next week??? I think that is what I heard. But I didn't care. I had my vaccine as soon as I was allowed.

Date: August 22, 2021 07:11PM

Sometimes there is crossover between veterinary and human medications. My cat uses two human medications including Lantus insulin. But I sure wouldn't advocate a human using a purely veterinary insulin such as Vetsulin. That's just crazy! I'm surprised that she was able to get it from a vet.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 08:32PM

and I don't know what kind it was. I just found it to be shocking. He never gave me more detail than that as I don't think he knew. He doesn't talk to this sister very often (well, he doesn't talk to any of his siblings that often). In fact, he pretty much didn't have much to do with his parents before I came into his life again. They told me that I had brought him back into their lives.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 05:13PM

People are dying from type 1 diabetes due to the extremely high cost of insulin. It's shameful that people resort to this just to survive.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 08:25PM

This thread is full of misinformation, and should be deleted.
So some people use the wrong dose and you conclude Ivermectin is stupid? And that it is only for animals? It has been used for decades in Africa for river blindness and other diseases in humans and is extremely safe at the right dose.

It is also assumed here that because it is used against parasites, it can have no other purposes. Google ivermectin antiviral effects and do some reading.

It is also assumed because it is not FDA approved, it shouldn't be used. 20% of prescriptions are for off-label uses. That is why doctors go to school.

It fascinates me that most here think the government is the ultimate source of all truth, as we did with the church. Apparently corruption can happen in church, but not in government with all the political pressures. And even if intentions are good, there are usually unintended consequences. The war on drugs, war on terror, war on poverty, etc, etc, have been disasters, while allowing corporations to reap huge profits.

I suspect the war on covid will be the same. There is a total emphasis on vaccines and suppression of any talk of early treatment.

I guess I just don't worship church or government or the media like I used to.

Date: August 22, 2021 08:31PM

Free Man Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> It is also assumed because it is not FDA approved,
> it shouldn't be used.

And yet that is precisely the argument you have used against the COVID vaccines lo these many times.

Did you think we wouldn’t notice?

Date: August 22, 2021 08:57PM

And lo, a prophet is without the proper honor on his home bulletin board…

Free Man, don’t take it personally when there are those here who won’t agree with you. Just clutch to your bosom the knowledge of how much smarter you are than Gladys and I. In 100 years you’ll be the one most likely to have a park named after you.

ETCS*

*edited to cure sloppiness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2021 10:48PM by elderolddog.

Date: August 22, 2021 10:38PM

He’s saying you treat the medical talking heads like clergy. You give them the same blind obedience you used to give Church leaders.

Take masks. Do they work? Not work? There is no standard for masks. Any old cloth will do. The cheapest dust mask from the hardware store will do. They don’t care what the masks are made of because they know it’s theater. Yet here we all are pretending they work because our tribe demands it. Yes, the emperor’s clothes are indeed beautiful.

If you had COVID19 and recovered, nobody cares. You still need the shot because everything that medical science learned about immunity in the last 200 years somehow does not apply. But the tribe ignores that, so bottoms up with the Kool Aid.

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m covered. So, I’m just making observations. I won’t say what I really think because it will get deleted. But I think Free Man has a point about trading one cult for another.

Date: August 22, 2021 10:54PM

Yeah, you are good on most things but on COVID you are definitely in the artificial fruit drinks aisle. The difference between a cult and truth is accordance with facts, so your defense of FM isn’t going any to get you very far.

The more important principle here is that if you use the same argument in polar opposite ways, you are not going to be remembered as rational. Nor are those who defend such slipshod thinking.

Date: August 22, 2021 11:30PM

Following the evidence is what led me out of the church. Evidence is what leads me to question the wisdom of the medical establishment. That’s notwithstanding its corruption by money and power. Its being mired in a kind of dark ages has been a problem for me personally for a while now, but now it’s becoming everyone’s problem. I am trying to be part of the solution. Part of the cure. It’s a helluva job.

Of course, it’s all connected to other things. Droughts, famines, pestilence, all interconnected. The Earth has shifted and until we shift too, she will withhold her water from those who want it and dump it on those who don’t. It’s got nothing to do with global warming. Nature will beat us into submission. But not to worry, humans change. After they’ve exhausted all other options.

We’ve been living in a planetary mass psychosis for a very long time. It needs to stop. We’re just getting a little help.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 12:18AM

WTF?

Date: August 23, 2021 12:22AM

Don’t quit your day job.

Date: August 23, 2021 05:08AM

The nice thing about science is that scientists (speaking as a group) are willing to admit when they got it wrong. Or when they get new, updated, and better information. Science is dispassionate in the search for truth.

Date: August 22, 2021 10:07PM

Free Man Wrote:
> This thread is full of misinformation, and should
> be deleted.

Or we can discuss it and maybe someone will learn something.

> So some people use the wrong dose and you conclude
> Ivermectin is stupid?

No, it's stupid to use a medication, in a dosage, that has not been prescribed for you and your current condition by a qualified physician.

> And that it is only for
> animals? It has been used for decades in Africa
> for river blindness and other diseases in humans
> and is extremely safe at the right dose.

If you're obtaining the medicine from a vet and intend to use it on a human then yes, I'd say that source and supply and dosage are intended only for non-human animals.

It is used for certain conditions in humans when (1) diagnosed by a qualified physician who has examined and diagnosed the specific patient; (2) the Rx is prescribed by said physician; (3) the dosage is calculated by the physician; and (4) the medicine is dispensed for that particular patient by a qualified pharmacist.

That is how you safely consume medications.

It is never NEVER recommended that (1) people diagnose themselves; (2) people choose their own Rx; (3) people consume medications that have not been prescribed specifically for them by a treating physician (who has seen and examined them specifically).

> It is also assumed here that because it is used
> against parasites, it can have no other purposes.

Who has claimed this?

> Google ivermectin antiviral effects and do some
> reading.

Yes, always good to do some reading. However, the science and process of testing substances for use in human medicine, interpreting results and making treatment recommendations, or not, are complex. There is a reason that those who are involved in medical research are highly trained, well qualified and experienced individuals.

Too, in the reading, it's crucial to ensure you know (1) the source of the information and (2) the credentials of the authors, researchers and other contributors.

> It is also assumed because it is not FDA approved,
> it shouldn't be used.

What Lot's Wife said.

People can't have it both ways.

The vaccinations in use against COVID-19 have FDA EUA status. We also have a great deal of experience world-wide in their use and beneficial effects. Still, people with no particular qualifications in the relevant areas refuse a proven treatment against a deadly virus. Sure, that's their choice. Except for the fact that they can transmit the virus to others, thereby negatively impacting the health of others, even unto death in many cases. That is the part all too many don't seem to realize or else don't care. What does the latter say about them?

> 20% of prescriptions are
> for off-label uses. That is why doctors go to
> school.

Yes, scientists, researchers, virologists, bacteriologists and physicians of all stripes DO go to school. The non-medic-person on-the-street does NOT (in these specialist fields). That is why it's ridiculous for people to shun a recommended medical treatment but yet choose to use, and recommend, a non-proven, potentially harmful remedy based not from a place of personal knowledge but from a place of ignorance.

What other illness and/or medication has ever caused such mass uprising against science and medicine (at least, in our lifetimes)?

> There is a total emphasis on vaccines and
> suppression of any talk of early treatment.

You missed a word: There is emphasis on LIFESAVING vaccines.

I don't understand what you're referring to by the phrase "talk of early treatment"???

> I guess I just don't worship church or government
> or the media like I used to.

Are you sure about that? Who are you 'worshipping' by siding with all the non-trained naysaying anti-vaxxer types who will disdain a tested and proven medical treatment for a disease yet tout the untested and frankly dangerous merits of a substance not only not recommended by the science/medical experts but actively not recommended by them?

Here's an article about using ivermectin (unproven to date) in the "treatment" (self-prescribed) of COVID-19:

Article: Ivermectin: why a potential COVID treatment isn’t recommended for use

by Gordon Dent, Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology, Keele University (UK)

April 19, 2021 10.12am EDT

https://theconversation.com/ivermectin-why-a-potential-covid-treatment-isnt-recommended-for-use-157904

Excerpts:

“The European Medicines Agency and the United States National Institutes of Health have recently stated that one previously promising treatment – the antiparasitic drug, ivermectin – is not recommended for use in routine management of COVID-19 patients.

“Despite these decisions, support for ivermectin has been circulating on social media and in WhatsApp groups, with rumours abounding that the drug is being blocked on purpose. Some have dubbed it the “new hydroxycholoroquine”, after a treatment that received a significant amount of online support but was found in trials to be ineffective against COVID-19.

“In humans, ivermectin is currently prescribed in tablet form to treat certain roundworm infections that cause illnesses such as river blindness. It may also be applied as a cream to control the common inflammatory skin condition papulopustular rosacea.

“But ivermectin is most commonly used for veterinary parasitic diseases, especially gastrointestinal worm infestations.

“A controversy subsequently blew up over an article by the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance, a group of doctors and researchers that lobbies for the use of ivermectin.

“This article, summarising multiple small studies of the effects of ivermectin on COVID-19 patients, was provisionally accepted for publication in the journal Frontiers in Pharmacology in January 2021 but then rejected and removed from the journal’s website in March. The journal’s editor stated that the standard of evidence in the paper was insufficient and that the authors were inappropriately promoting their own ivermectin-based treatment.

“One larger randomised clinical trial was published in March 2021. This showed no effect of ivermectin on duration of symptoms of adults with mild COVID-19. The authors stated that the findings did not support the use of ivermectin in these patients, but again highlighted that larger trials were needed to determine whether the drug had other benefits.

“While some other studies did appear to show benefits of ivermectin, many did not. These were summarised by the National Institutes of Health, showing severe limitations arising from small sample sizes and problems with study design.

“Both the National Institutes of Health and the European Medicines Agency judged, on the basis of these studies, that there is currently insufficient evidence to support the use of ivermectin in treatment of COVID-19.

“More studies are underway. A large, multicentre trial began in February to determine the effectiveness of ivermectin as well as metformin (an anti-diabetes medication) and fluvoxamine (an antidepressant) in preventing COVID-19 disease progression.

“It would therefore be premature to conclude absolutely that ivermectin has no place in COVID-19 treatment. On the basis of current evidence, however, its use cannot be recommended.”

Crucial lines:

"On the basis of current evidence..."

"Its use cannot be recommended."

Date: August 23, 2021 12:33AM

I have a small set of facts:

A valiant mormon father figured out that the vaccine was too big a risk, with no proven outcome.  So no one in the family got vaccinated. They all got Covid-19 and they all seemed to get over it, which was about three weeks ago.

But the valiant mormon father, age 52, started feeling peckish, and it got worse, so he ended up driving himself to the ER, where the slow, seemingly inexorable decline continued.  He was three days in Intensive Care and died.  I looked at his FB page and he was a big fan of FLCCC Alliance, which is a group of medical doctors who are fans of ivermectin and some other household drugs and who are furious that the CDC won't listen to them...

Would vaccination have saved him?  Of course not!  Because ghawd needed him on the other side and we'll all see him again.  Yay!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 03:13AM

This is not what we meant by "herd immunity".

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 03:34PM

This is so disheartening. The vaccines came in record time and have the potential to end this nightmare, but people are far too stupid to understand and act upon some pretty basic scientific evidence.

Looks like a bunch of folks are going to experience a Darwin Award; ironically many of them denying evolution while at it.

Date: August 23, 2021 03:46PM

Space Pineapple Wrote:
> some pretty basic scientific evidence.

This is what took me by surprise.

1. It's not rocket science (or I would have difficulty with it myself!)

2. It's not new in that vaccine development and distribution have been around for a good long while now (thank goodness for that in the lives of most of us here now).

3. The research and development followed a well-worn path that seems like a pretty routine day in the lab.

Or so I assumed.

There were details to read about and facts to learn but if you put in a bit of effort to learn and keep up it's basic understandable stuff.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 06:47PM

All this about Ivermectin is giving me a flashback. Remember way back when the pesticide DDT was controversial? Bird egg shells were getting thinner and Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring came out.

Well, my dad had the same mentality back then as the dewormer folks do now. As more information came out about the impact to the environment, the more my dad fought it. He actually took small doses of DDT to prove it was not harmful. He knew zero about how it worked or even the chemical nature of it. Anything about science was unknown to him. All he knew was that those hippie types were out to ruin things. He heard DDT was safe and he jumped on the bandwagon based on hearsay.

Like Ivermectin, DDT has a few legitimate uses. Apparently in areas where malaria is worse than the damage caused from the drug, it can be used. But ingesting it was dumb.

I have no doubt my dad would be trading vet drugs or drinking bleach today if he were alive. He didn't live to a ripe old age.

Date: August 23, 2021 09:20PM

If we had just let these idiots eat the Tide Pods we wouldn’t be having this problem right now!

There is a very good argument that keeping stupid people alive, when their stupid behavior would have killed them in the past, is making human race dumber.

Take for instance Google Maps.
One idiot sued Google because she asked for directions to Park City from SLC. There are no safe walking routes between the two, only a highway. So she walked down the highway and, naturally got hit by a car. So she sued Google for not telling her not to walk on a freeway. Since then Google has had to tell people not to walk on a freeway. Now if we just let dumb people like her suffer the natural consequences of being stupid, then they wouldn’t live to reproduce. Instead we coddle stupid people and protect them from the consequences of being stupid and they survive long enough to reproduce, creating more stupid people.
This is one reason smart phones are making us stupid.

https://lighthouse.mq.edu.au/article/august-2019/smartphones-are-making-us-stupid-and-may-be-a-gateway-drug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 09:23PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 11:40AM

Did I miss something?

70% of what?

Did 10 people call poison control and 7 were for the Horse Dewormer? Or was is 1000 calls and 700 were for the HD?

A lot of statistics are being tossed around, but the context is omitted.

Date: August 24, 2021 11:53AM

tumwater Wrote:
> Did I miss something?
>
> 70% of what?
>
> Did 10 people call poison control and 7 were for
> the Horse Dewormer? Or was is 1000 calls and 700
> were for the HD?
>
> A lot of statistics are being tossed around, but
> the context is omitted.

At least 70% of all recent calls to Poison Control in Mississippi.

https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/resources/15400.pdf

Date: August 24, 2021 12:01PM

Yes, you missed something. A year and a half ago presumably none of the poison control center calls were for people taking horse deworming pills.

Now, such poisoning all by itself occurs twice as frequently as all other poisonings put together, because a lot of people trust some yahoo on YouTube more that they trust the entire medical establishment of planet Earth.

The actual number only matters if you have the number of poisoning calls before the pandemic, so you could form a ratio. They should have done that, and maybe they did. I didn’t read the whole article.

Nevertheless, invermectin poisoning is swamping everything else, which was their point.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 02:32PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Yes, you missed something. A year and a half ago
> presumably none of the poison control center calls
> were for people taking horse deworming pills.
>
> Now, such poisoning all by itself occurs twice as
> frequently as all other poisonings put together,
> because a lot of people trust some yahoo on
> YouTube more that they trust the entire medical
> establishment of planet Earth.
>
> The actual number only matters if you have the
> number of poisoning calls before the pandemic, so
> you could form a ratio.

So no calls last year for HD poisoning, now there is 70% more calls.

I have a relatively firm grasp of fundamental math.

70% more than zero is still zero. I give up, you don't need to respond further.

Date: August 24, 2021 02:43PM

Not 70% more than zero. 70% of all. Maybe last year there were 100 calls, zero for this med. This year there are 150 calls and 105 are for the med.

Date: August 24, 2021 02:45PM

tumwater Wrote:
> I have a relatively firm grasp of fundamental
> math.
>
> 70% more than zero is still zero.

I don't really. Not a math star at all.

But that doesn't sound right to me. I think it means there's a 70% increase, not 70% of zero.

And, uh, BoJ is a math guy so I highly doubt he's made a counting error.

Date: August 24, 2021 04:35PM

If you are willing to live with an estimate: The national rate of calls to Poison Control centers is 6.4 per 1,000 people. Mississippi has roughly 3 million people, making for about 19,200 calls to Poison Control.

So roughly 13,440 Mississippi residents had concerns, bad reactions, or possible overdoses of Ivermectin.

https://www.poison.org/poison-statistics-national

Date: August 24, 2021 04:55PM

On the bright side, hardly anyone in Mississippi has worms now.

Date: August 24, 2021 05:04PM

Speak for yourself, BOJ.

Date: August 24, 2021 12:26PM

Some people are so concerned about being sheep there taking horse meds

I am fascinated by the pathology of delusional group think and this CNN interview of Alabama My Pillow heads is a perfect illustration of the kind of delusional thinking that had us all believing Joseph’s Myth.

https://youtu.be/Vr3ZNvv0aco

The lady in white who says she don’t listen to news no more, just prophets, NewsMax and sometimes Fox News. That she trusts Dr. Tenpenny (a conspiracy nut job on CDCs list of dirty dozen for spreading Covid misinformation) more than her own Dr, who tried to convince her to get the shot. She says she thinks God is separating the sheep from the goats.

The reporter asks which herd she is in and she says she’s a goat because she don’t wanna be no sheep!

That’s when he uses the line about people so concerned about being sheep they’re taking horse medication. (Ivermectin)

Sounds 100% like it could be my Nazi TBM X-MIL.

I’m sure the late night comics are going to have a field day with this goats comments.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 02:23PM

So what?

Just like drug overdoses - they choose the stuff they live or die with the consequences.

Date: August 24, 2021 05:02PM

An interesting implication of all this is that there are a lot of anti-vaxxers that are worried about catching covid, so they do recognize it as a serious disease. That's some progress.

They simply refuse to listen to "the experts", and instead take medical advice from quacks and conmen. Of course JS got started as a conman, and that worked out pretty well for Mormons, though not so well for JS himself.

If the experts are against it, it must work. If they are for it, it must be somewhere between dangerous and lethal.

Some people just have their BS detectors wired backwards.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.