Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: joesmitty ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 10:15AM

I heard on a podcast that the wearing of temple garments is now optional. Does anyone know if this is true? Anyone have any references on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 10:34AM

I opted out.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 11:15AM

Did you unsubscribe?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 10:52AM

My take, which is not current:

You are told to wear them all the time when you get them in the temple, but no one checks. They have some situations where you are not expected to wear them, like sports, so it is a bit fuzzy. Some wear them during sex but I'm guessing many don't.

Back when I got temple interviews, I got asked if I wore my garments a few times, but there was no follow up about what that meant. It could mean wearing for Halloween for all I cared.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 11:08AM

Not officially, no. But since the church makes an exemption for sports or working out, I've heard that many mormons (especially women) often/usually go out without garments and use "going to the gym" as a reason.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 11:15AM

My Mormon neighbor likes tank tops. I think she is using the gym thing to rationalize. In the infrequent times I've interacted with her this summer she has seemed to be mostly garment free.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 08:27PM

logged out today Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not officially, no. But since the church makes an
> exemption for sports or working out, I've heard
> that many mormons (especially women) often/usually
> go out without garments and use "going to the gym"
> as a reason.

Yes--this

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 11:17AM

so far as I know it will never be officially optional.
But for me it always has been.
However I have known some members that would hardly take them off to bathe!
This is one of the more radical mind control devices used by the people at the top of the pyramid to control those below.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 03:12PM

I got my first confrontation about being "properly attired" in temple garments about 3 weeks before I went to the temple.

I was doing some yard work for a member and was attired in normal length shorts for cutting grass, raking and trimming trees. Another member who lived next door (rare in a non Mormon state) took it upon herself to chastise me for not wearing my garments.

-My goodness, Messy. You have been told to wear your garments all day long. Why do you think you can disregard instructions from the temple?

She knew that I was going on a mission, but I had yet to go for my endowment!

The member who I was performing the yard work came to my rescue and corrected her.

At the temple, I was instructed to wear church garments at all times. They gave no exceptions and that caused me all types of embarrassing situations.

-3 days after being endowed, I went to scout camp as a special guest of the bishop. I had no long shorts in my wardrobe so I went camping in pants. I hated it. And the bishop? He drove up in exercise shorts, wore another pair the following day. He was obviously not wearing his G's.

-At the MTC, there was a small sign at indoor gymnasium that reminded elders and sisters that it was not reverent to wear temple garments while exercising. I had to request permission to leave the MTC on pday to buy some non Mormon underwear.

-On the mission, we flip-flopped about wearing garments while playing indoor basketball. It was improper to wear them, then we had a rash of injuries and the MP made it mandatory. And then pictures of elders wearing them while playing basketball caused him to change it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2021 11:32AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 07:24PM

Yes, it's [clothing] optional.

YOU have the option
THEY don't

They can't make you wear them
People Make Themselves do it

The OPTION is Sewing them into ALL your clothing. That way you only have one (inner-outer) layer to coordinate.

Underclothing optional
Look for the 'seems'.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.