Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 11:19AM

Key points:

"Men’s Stretch Cotton garments have shorter sleeves, a soft elastic waistband with a lower rise, supportive brief style bottom, semi-flat performance seams, printed labels, mesh air-flow panels, and two new neckline options."

"[...] the design changes were in response to member feedback and requests. For example, the two new necklines are less visible beneath outerwear, and the shorter sleeves better accommodate commonly worn T-shirts and other similar attire."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/church-offers-new-stretch-cotton-garments-for-men

The bottoms sound like boxer briefs, and the tops are meant to be hidden under t-shirts. Sure sounds like members don't want folks to know that they're wearing garments.

And note that this was in response to member demands, not prophetic direction of any kind.

Tyson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 11:30AM by Tyson Dunn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 12:29PM

I'm sure Nelson had to pray about it. He probably was inspired to give them the okay. Covid was probably on his mind with his prior knowledge of things to come and wanted to help members cope with the coming pandemic.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 12:36PM

Wasn't there some talk recently about only requiring garments to be worn when in the temple? Sounds like that idea got quashed. pity

Date: September 08, 2021 12:37PM

Along with the 1 hour church.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 03:51AM

Ha! That’s pretty much what I did. I was not an obedient garment wearer.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 12:48PM

The church could be miles ahead if they would only require them for adult endowment work at the temple and Sunday worship. About 95% of the bickering would disappear.

But because the church has always had their heads up their butts, the issue of garments never goes away.

Date: September 10, 2021 03:50AM

You just phase it out slowly. Garments keep getting shorter.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 01:04PM

God needed feedback for the underwear He requires. LOL

Mormons actually agree to wear weird underwear because their religion tells them God says to. LOL LOL

I guess the "smiley" neck line won't be so obvious.

How are coeds supposed to feel for garments on their dates if the garments seem too much like regular underwear? That is the test for true marriage material!

Out of all the crazy I did as a Mormon, the garment thing was the most embarrassing.

Date: September 08, 2021 01:06PM

They take butts in seats to a higher law level.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 02:44PM

is your Pun License currently valid including accurate weight, height, & address?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 10:42PM

"How are coeds supposed to feel for garments on their dates if the garments seem too much like regular underwear?"

A roll of masking tape works wonders. Non-Mormon guys in Provo swear by it.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 03:08PM

No match for the old former "sportsmen's garments," one-piece garments that my foster father always wore back in the 1960's to play softball. They had an extra large "helenca neck," as the package called it, that was really low on the shoulders, and a men's package support pouch built in. What supported a guy's junk was a seam that went up from the fly to the middle of the belly, pulling it upward. They were bizarre looking garments. That extra big neck came down to the middle of the chest, and was almost off the shoulders, and I could just not understand how they could possibly comfortable.

On another note, remember when guys who wore garments WANTED people to notice they were wearing them? That's how I was at BYU. If it wasn't obvious that you were wearing garments, it was hard to get a date.

Date: September 08, 2021 04:57PM

A cod piece for garments. Now there is an idea.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 10:53AM

For laughs, I bought a single one-piecer when I was on my mission.

Riding bikes in one-piece garments was a nightmare. They bunched up and pulled in all the wrong places, and they had no support at all. The overlapping seat was ridiculous. (I had said "flap seat" but that sounds like a union suit.)

Anyway, bought it, tried it, hated it, didn't wear it again.

Tyson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2021 11:02AM by Tyson Dunn.

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 09:34PM

Tyson Dunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Key points: ... note that this was in response to member
> demands, not prophetic direction of any kind.
>
> Tyson
>

That's what I was thinking!
Aren't the Q15 people too?

Nope. No style. No couth. No care.

They don't care how they feel
Or how they feel in underwear

Date: September 09, 2021 01:22PM

Ynamerom Wrote:
> They don't care how they feel

They feel? Didn't know.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 03:32AM

I hate redundant Mormon verbosity designed to reassure themselves constantly that they aren't a cult. They aren't just promises, they're "sacred promises." You made "sacred promises," don't you know? It's like when I'm trying to make some important point to a Mormon about why it's not in our country's political or religious tradition to elect X kind of politicians, and they retort flippantly by saying something about how I "have to respect their deeply-held beliefs." Not just their beliefs -- their deeply-held beliefs. That would imply they've given the belief in question a lot of thought and decided there was immense wisdom in it, right? But often this gets said about things they can't defend and don't want to try. So they say what needs to be heard to make a critic melt away in guilt and shame, but the delivery lands on its face -- I'm amazed at how many "deeply held beliefs" are wrote and passionless and recited in passing.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 03:35AM

Also fuck the Gs. I don't miss them. No one commands what kind of underwear I put on anymore.

Date: September 10, 2021 11:36AM

So go commando.

Date: September 10, 2021 03:43AM

Jesus never wore Beehive Clothing underwear. He set the perfect example. He’s not hanging on the cross in knee length briefs and wouldn’t the garment top protect him from the flogging he received? If Jesus didn’t do it, I’m not doing it either.

Date: September 10, 2021 11:37AM

Jesus also drank wine for sacrament meeting.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 03:52AM

Shorter sleeves? But isn't one of the points that your clothes need to be adequate to cover your garmies? What is next? Low cut? Daisy Dukes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2021 03:53AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 09:46AM

Good point. So basically they are chipping away at the modesty expectations for every day clothes, intentional or not.

Date: September 10, 2021 11:38AM

Speedo style garments for men and bikini style for women. Sacred coverings need to be sexy for making more Mormons.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 07:36AM

Instead of garments, the church should go to a jeweled pin similar to a fraternity or sorority pin/badge. It would be attractive and visible to both members and nonmembers. You could get dangles for certain prestigious church jobs like bishop, bishop's counselors, and RSP, and perhaps special pins for serving a church mission.

Date: September 10, 2021 11:38AM

How about holy priesthood blades. Heck holy priesthood hand grenades!

Posted by: mahu74 ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 04:52PM

From Wikipedia: “In 1906, church president Joseph F. Smith characterized as a "grievous sin" any attempt, in the name of changing fashion trends, to modify the 1840s garment pattern, which he characterized as "sacred, unchanged, and unaltered from the very pattern in which God gave them.”

Was that a case of a man speaking as a prophet or a prophet speaking as a man? I get so confused.

Date: September 13, 2021 05:47PM

mahu74 Wrote:
> Was that a case of a man speaking as a prophet or
> a prophet speaking as a man? I get so confused.

A man speaking as a prophet speaking as a man who is weak and didn't quite understand God's will about His most holy garments.

Posted by: mahu74 ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 06:25PM

If it had been a woman speaking as a prophet we would never have had those holy hair shirts.

Date: September 13, 2021 05:52PM

What I don't understand is they can cut away at their holy garment but not at their Word of Wisdom. It actually doesn't prohibit alcohol - mild drinks. I'm not advocating drinking and I'm a recent convert to complete abstinence. But it seems that God is really weird in Mormonism. He keeps shortening the hem lines yet modesty and sexual fidelity are high on his list of thou shalt and yet doesn't allow barely drinks but does in his holy book. And then there is polygamy. At least it has a cease and desist order in the holy books.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 11:02PM

But EB, they have. Coke used to be a sin, don't get me started!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.