Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 02:47PM

It’s quite exciting to discover the truth. You want to go around and tell everyone we have been on the wrong course and corrections are needed. You can have all the data and proof but unless you can convince others in the truth, nothing changes. This probably is one of the most frustrating aspects of life.

It’s no different than raising children. You can tell them the truth but they will ignore you. Then you have to watch them make the mistake you warned them about, they experience the consequences of it and hopefully they learn a lesson the hard way.

My experience with dealing with members of my family still in the church has been the same. They have to learn themselves and maybe they never will learn. It’s interesting. I have seen people leave the church who I never thought would leave. Then people I thought would never join the church have joined.

For the people who have left it’s two major reasons. They finally discover the church has been lying to them or they don’t like the church’s stance on LGBTQ.

For people who have joined it’s drug addicts or alcoholics who want a strict religion with a health code to help keep them on the wagon or they fall in love with a member.

A former neighbor who made fun of the Mormon religion is now a Mormon. His wife died and he fell in love with a widowed former school mate he hit it off with at a high school reunion. He joined the church to marry her. He seems happy.

Everyone lives in their own private Idaho and to the frustration of Mr. Spock, humans aren’t logical. People believe what they believe and do what they do for various reasons. Facts and data won’t change them.

Sometimes all you can do is go your own way. Sometimes being right is lonely.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 02:52PM

. . . Sometimes just being is lonely.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 03:13PM

Someone wrote a book about that: something like The Incredible Loneliness of Being.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 03:18PM

"The Incredibleness of Being Lonely"?

I'm working on "When Playing Solo on the Golf Course of Life, Putt'em All Into the Cup, And Other Secrets of a Life-Long Tattle-tale, for Fun & Profit".

Amazon says that they'll list it for me and only take 35% of the selling price!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 03:53PM

It’s lonely at the top. Golfing is like life. You stroke your balls a lot but eventually you sink it into the hole.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.