Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 12:25AM

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/physics-quantum-spin-ice-fine-structure-constant

One of nature’s key constants is much larger in a quantum material

The fine-structure constant is 10 times its normal value in the material, giving a peek at an alternate universe

A crucial number that rules the universe goes big in a strange quantum material.

The fine-structure constant is about 10 times its normal value in a type of material called quantum spin ice, physicists calculate in the Sept. 10 Physical Review Letters. The new calculation hints that quantum spin ice could give a glimpse at physics within an alternate universe where the constant is much larger.

With an influence that permeates physics and chemistry, the fine-structure constant sets the strength of interactions between electrically charged particles. Its value, about 1/137, consternates physicists because they can’t explain why it has that value, even though it is necessary for the complex chemistry that is the basis of life (SN: 11/2/16).

If the fine-structure constant throughout the cosmos were as large as the one in quantum spin ices, “the periodic table would only have 10 elements,” says theoretical physicist Christopher Laumann of Boston University. “And it probably would be hard to make people; there wouldn’t be enough richness to chemistry.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 10:45AM

“And it probably would be hard to make people; there wouldn’t be enough richness to chemistry.”

But I make it wouldn't be hard to make viruses. I bet Mother Nature created a virus hole and this other universe is where Covid came from...

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 11:34AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But I make it wouldn't be hard to make viruses. I
> bet Mother Nature created a virus hole and this
> other universe is where Covid came from...

I’ve never seen this theory before, but it seems like it might be possible that Viruses are how RNA and DNA arrived on Earth, either in a comet from another planet in our galaxy, or maybe even from a worm hole to another dimension, both of which seem more likely than anything contained in ‘Revelation from God”

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 11:54AM

I really don't get the appeal of shifting the goalposts by moving the origin of life to something extraterrestrial.

It doesn't solve the problem of the origins of life, it just moves the venue - without any particular reason for doing so other than human bias to want to be something more special than just another step in the development of this planet.

Tyson

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 01:58PM

I really don't get the appeal of shifting the goalposts by moving the origin of life to something extraterrestrial.

It doesn't solve the problem of the origins of life, it just moves the venue - without any particular reason for doing so other than human bias to want to be something more special than just another step in the development of this planet.

COMMENT: Not quite. The reason for the shift is the difficultly--and bluntly the failure--in accounting for such origins given the properties of the early Universe and the laws of physics and biochemistry here on Earth. Crossing the bridge from complex organic molecules to living cells is a wide explanatory gap. It is this gap that invites theology! Transpermia was proposed in order to preserve a materialist explanation, and avoid theological or metaphysical explanations, not to invite them.

Presumably, an extraterrestrial environment would have different properties (somehow) such that the origin of micro biotic cellular life was more biologically probable. (But, of course, this raises many more problems and issues, so I agree it is not much of an improvement--unless there was solid substantive evidence for it.)

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 11:48AM

Either the fine structure constant isn't a constant or this material cannot exist.

So then the question becomes why a hypothetical material is any sort of a game-changer.

Just because something can be calculated doesn't mean it exists.

Tyson

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 11:49AM

Hawaiians peer into an alternate universe through quantum shaved ice!

Date: September 22, 2021 12:04PM

And God's dj name is DJ Spin Ice.

Date: September 22, 2021 01:43PM

His son's is DJ Jazzy Jesus.

Date: September 22, 2021 03:11PM

What is Holy's handle?

Date: September 22, 2021 03:39PM

Notorious HG!

Date: September 22, 2021 03:47PM

Love it.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 09:53PM

Watch for his new cannabis strain, Holy Haze. Takes you straight to heaven.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 04:49PM

Is the church true in this alternate universe?

Date: September 22, 2021 04:50PM

Its true if you put enough Icey Spin on it.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 08:19PM

I have requested and received dreams about me in some 'Alternate universes' ---- if I can really get my head around that. Not sure I can believe these dreams although they seemed so real and the lives I was living so different but interesting.

It appears I am different in alternative universes because of different decisions I could make here ---- normally same job and yes a Mormon in some. However, if I chose to not marry I would see glimpses of my life as a single person, for example. In one I saw myself leave the church completely differently than I did. In another I saw better transportation systems. Sort of cool but did not see any new invention, etc. that I was really able to study and replicate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.