Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 03:11PM

Interesting article from Nat Geo about the effects of the coronavirus on men’s sexual health. Some of the statements make me wince and I’m not even built that way. Yeow.

It may clarify the points that seem confusing to some.

National Geographic Magazine:

HOW COVID AFFECTS MEN’S SEXUAL HEALTH

By Victoria Jaggard, SCIENCE executive editor
Wednesday, September 22, 2021

“There’s no shortage of misinformation out there about the coronavirus, and some of the most pernicious claims swirl around vaccines and fertility. With apologies to Nicki Minaj, there is no credible scientific evidence that any of the COVID-19 vaccines cause impotence. However, there is now a wealth of data that shows getting infected with this virus can cause erectile dysfunction and other reproductive health problems for men.

“Crucially, getting a vaccine is not the same thing as contracting a disease. Vaccines are designed to provoke an antibody response, and the ones approved or authorized for use in the U.S. don’t even contain dead or weakened versions of the virus. They instead use pieces of its genetic material to train the body’s immune system. (Pictured above, a man getting a rapid COVID-19 test.)

“By contrast, coming down with COVID-19 allows the virus to replicate in your cells, and as Sharon Guynup reports this week, several studies show that the SARS-CoV-2 virus can invade tissues in the penis and testicles. As it happens, the testicles are a perfect hideout for a variety of viruses because they are immunologically privileged body parts, meaning they are shielded from the immune system. Once COVID-19 invades this region, it can hang out there indefinitely. “This may explain why 11 percent of men hospitalized with COVID-19 suffered testicular pain,” Guynup writes.

“Other studies have found that men seem to be six times more likely to develop brief or long-term erectile dysfunction after contracting the virus. That’s likely because the coronavirus is known to attack blood vessels all over the body, and the penis relies on blood vessels to maintain an erection. Cells also become oxygen-deprived when blood vessels narrow, which means the surrounding tissues become inflamed and the vessels lose elasticity. “No oxygen, no sex,” says Emmanuele A. Jannini, a professor at the Tor Vergata University of Rome.

“These kinds of health repercussions can be difficult to track because patients may be embarrassed or self-conscious. And it can be tough to report on them and not invite readers to dissolve into giggles with an unintentional pun. But this is serious science that deserves to be taken seriously. According to the New England Journal of Medicine, 10 percent to 30 percent of people infected with the virus—at least 42 million cases in the U.S. and 226 million worldwide—experience a range of ongoing symptoms collectively called long COVID. People can develop these debilitating symptoms even after a mild or asymptomatic infection. And the list includes several reproductive health problems for men, from sexual dysfunction and swollen testicles to mental health issues that decrease arousal.

“Research is still in progress, and plenty of unknowns remain. But it’s clear enough by now that if you care about your reproductive health, you should be more worried about getting the virus than the vaccine. “The plausible relationship between COVID-19 and erectile dysfunction is one more reason for the unvaccinated to get their shots,” Jannini says. “If they want to have sex, better to get the vaccine.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 03:24PM

" “The plausible relationship between COVID-19 and erectile dysfunction is one more reason for the unvaccinated to get their shots,” Jannini says. “If they want to have sex, better to get the vaccine.”

No. Don't get the vaccine! If you're stupid enough to be an anti-vaxxer, we don't want you breeding. See-God does have a plan!

Date: September 22, 2021 03:47PM

stillanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No. Don't get the vaccine! If you're stupid enough
> to be an anti-vaxxer, we don't want you breeding.
> See-God does have a plan!

Haha.

But seriously, any reason to get the jab is a good reason.

We've seen here in BC that ever since the vaccine cards came into effect last week there's been a significant uptick in numbers of people getting vaxxed.

A good outcome all 'round.

Re my 'yeow' above, the comment in the article about men hospitalized with COVID having testicular pain along with all the other highly unpleasant effects of the virus made me wince, and I'm female.

You'd think that possibility alone would have guys lining up in droves begging for the vax.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2021 03:50PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 03:55PM

Get poked or don't poke that is the question.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 04:11PM

I really don't care
I am at liberty to have sex fun with anyone I want to
so don't be trying to play head games with me.
I am always available for this kind of recreation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2021 04:12PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: September 22, 2021 04:40PM

Well, you've been vaxxed, DR. So, way to go to protect yourself and your partner/s.

That's the point.

If you were saying "I really don't care" and you weren't vaxxed but were sexually active, especially with multiple people, then that would be another story.

Date: September 22, 2021 05:51PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> Well, you've been vaxxed, DR. So, way to go to
> protect yourself and your partner/s.
>
> That's the point.
>
> If you were saying "I really don't care" and you
> weren't vaxxed but were sexually active,
> especially with multiple people, then that would
> be another story.
It woulld be unfair to be active if a person was unvaxxed.
I am only active with disease free vaxxed people

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2021 05:52PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: September 22, 2021 06:08PM

Tomorrow at 1PM I am goint to lunch at "The corner bakery in the Target center in Orem

Posted by: Alex71vn ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 01:53PM

So that's why the Corner Bakery is popular? I thought it was because of their pastries. Ok I was wrong.

Date: September 24, 2021 03:25PM

Alex71vn Wrote:
> So that's why the Corner Bakery is popular? I
> thought it was because of their pastries. Ok I was
> wrong.
It is just accross the street from my apartment(A101)So it is easy to meet rfm friends there weekdays 9til 4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2021 03:33PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 12:04AM

Sex ?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 12:04AM

I need all the help I can get keeping the law of chastity.

Date: September 24, 2021 12:35PM

bradley Wrote:
> I need all the help I can get keeping the law of
> chastity.
My solution is forget the law have fun while you are still alive and able

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 12:38PM

Opportunities for sex signaling.

Kinda like virtue signally but much more vain.

Date: September 24, 2021 03:27PM

bradley Wrote:
> I need all the help I can get keeping the law of
> chastity.
The best help you could get is how to circumvent that particular law

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 04:29AM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 04:49AM

I'm not sure I'd trust the hooker equivalent of government cheese.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.