Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 12:13AM

Appearantly either god changed his mind or someone named Elder Christofferson didn't pay attention in Sunday School. He said this during conference.

"By his atonement our sins are nailed to his cross."

I always learned the sins were paid for in the garden and the cross is superfluous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 04:53AM

Same here. Bleeding at every pore was the payment of sins. The cross was just some extra torture to endure. Yeah. Who knows what the church is anymore. I don’t think they know. It changes things mostly hoping it won’t make the members leave.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 10:25PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Same here. Bleeding at every pore was the payment
> of sins. The cross was just some extra torture to
> endure. Yeah.

That is MORmON docturine !!!

> Who knows what the church is

> anymore. I don’t think they know.

whatever they "think" / feel will bring in the most tithing money / MOReMONey ....subject to change on a daily basis.

> It changes
> things mostly hoping it won’t make the members
> leave.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 08:44AM

That is interesting. Is this yet another subtle move to be just another Christian denomination or a mistake? I live in the Bible belt and it sure reads like a local Pentecostal minister preaching.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 09:13AM

Maybe the 12 are doing cocaine or shooting up heroine in their prep-meeting to the 'conference'? Probably not, but this is a weird statement. Sins nailed to a cross? Makes less sense than just bleeding out in a garden.

My guess, is they are switching to AI talk generators and this is what it came up with. The ML model might need a little more training to spit out LDS talks that jive with the rest of the Cannon or that do not veer so far from the rest of what has ever been said. I certainly am not saying Church Corp knows their message that well and is really trying to sell a product. Or maybe this is new product research. They are looking for feedback to this sin and nailing it to a cross.... if that is so, I don't get it. I'm visualizing nailing an idea to a cross and not something that Jesus 'took on himself' as part of a sacrifice. Weird concept. Makes me wonder what would Allah do?

Date: October 23, 2021 10:32PM

cheezus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Probably not, but this is a weird statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphnhNopWUo

> Sins nailed to a cross?

or maybe attempts at nailing Jello made of MORmON docturine to a wall is more relevant (?)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 09:45AM

It made me think of all those staples and yard-sale signs that get stuck to a telephone pole and never taken down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2021 09:46AM by kathleen.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 09:40PM

Or lost apostle posters.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 10:17AM

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever: Missing in Action.

There are plenty of those who are happy to pinch hit for him however, during his long long absence.

Little Elder Christiansen really tried very, very hard to make a metaphor that would be his legacy. Bless his little heart. I'm sure TBM's everywhere will quote him.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 10:30AM

They have lost it.

Keep in mind, this is the same church that decided that its hymns were not in accordance with 1980 correlation "thinking". So at great expense, they rewrote the lyrics and or dumped the hymn altogether.

This is the same church which approves anything and everything related to printed material, music, art work etc.

This is very telling as missionaries used to be required to memorize a giant spiel about why Mormons don't have crosses displayed. This lead to missionaries having to explain the church's teaching that the sins of the world were paid in the garden and not tacked to the cross.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2021 10:31AM by messygoop.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 11:45AM

If the Mormons believe in the Bible, particularly the New Testament, then they should use some logic.

If He had spent an hour in The Garden, "bleeding from every pore", then He would've been quite the sight, walking back and all drenched in blood. The apostles certainly would've noticed and at least asked: "what happened to you?"

The Roman soldiers didn't know what he looked like and had to have Judas point out who He was. It would've been pretty obvious and shocking, even to the soldiers who were used to blood and gore, if that had happened an hour before.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 12:38PM

JUDAS (to Roman Soldier #1): "You'll know who Jesus is when I kiss him."

ROMAN SOLDIER #1: "You mean the totally bloody guy?"

JUDAS: "Ewwww! I ain't kissin' THAT!"

P.S. Mo's are still going with the "blood from every pore thing"? Well, I guess so: they are stuck with it in the D&C.

P.P.S. That mention of the cross by Christofferson sure seemed odd, but all I really like about him is that he's got great hair. I hope when I hit his age my hair looks that good.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 12:11PM

The atonement, whether garden or cross, is equally absurd. Neither is "correct".

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 12:40PM

I think he intended this to be allegoric and it failed to come accross as suck

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 07:15PM

I was intrigued a Christmas or two ago when the church's Christmas concert made a big feature of the classic Christian hymn "It is Well With My Soul" inviting one of the leads from Downton Abbey to tell the story about its sad writing. I think the conference speaker was paying attention to the lyric which includes the Christian sentiment "...my sin, not in part, but the whole, is nailed to His cross."

Perhaps the two events are connected. Not to make up a part but a whole new direction.

Posted by: moremany-ME ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 09:10PM

He was probably thinking of the devil. When he said cross, he meant crossroads, like, Why Did The Chicken NOT Cross The Road? Because It Was Chicken (not a chicken).

I think I nailed it.

Mormon MISleaders are so far off base they shouldn't even be playing the game...
Or at least know the game they are playing: THE MEMBERS

Date: October 23, 2021 10:40PM

It should have been game over ...in replete.... a long time ago........ but gullible Book of MORmON church members kept giving "THE" church MOReMONey every time THE MOReMONey church demanded it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUYWqVvUZWQ

Posted by: moremany-ME ( )
Date: October 24, 2021 03:14AM

Because they are stupid, foolish, gullible, naive, aloof or simply asleep.

10% of your income is not tithing
It's 10% of your INCREASE

You don't "increase" your wealth 10% every year
Yet TSCC will have more of your family's MONEY
Because dummies give it 10% MORE EVERY YEAR... every month, every week
Than your family will, because EVERYONE in the family pays dues to the cult

Its like rent that is due even when you don't live in the building

A family of ten will grow and marry and produce offspring that will eventually pay the 'church' $$$, TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, PER YEAR, PER FAMILY, and have kids that do the same, and so on and so forth...

My family could have been together but It Pays To Be A/part.

If TMC (the mormon cult) wouldn't get all this FREE money if it didn't lie, and scheme, and prey upon people's faith, and con and plot and devise plans to enrich itself in the name of God... and the promise of the superstition of eat turnal life after the hearafter

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 11:06PM

"Mormon Doctrine," p. 555, PASSION OF CHRIST:

"…The sectarian world falsely suppose that the climax of his torture and suffering was on the cross — a view which they keep ever before them by the constant use of the cross as a religious symbol. The fact is that intense and severe as the suffering was on the cross, yet the great pains were endured in the Garden of Gethsemane. It was there that he trembled because of pain, bled at every pore, and suffered both in body and in spirit, and would that he 'might not drink the bitter cup.' It was there he underwent his greatest suffering for men…"

[Scriptural references removed.]

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 24, 2021 12:31AM

The passage said his sweat was "like" drops of blood. "For the preaching of the garden is foolishness..." doesn't quite sound right.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 24, 2021 12:42AM

Sufferin' succotash!

Well, it was sure nice of Jesus to spare me crucifixion like that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.