Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 06:42PM

Does anyone know if members doing serious crimes lose this "special blessing"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 11:50PM

I haven't heard of that, but it would be rather funny if they did.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 03:19AM

I had the impression (from Tom Phillips' (sp?) testimony) that the very nature of the 2nd annointing meant that it couldn't be taken back, because it puts people above the laws of men. But I may be wrong.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 04:00AM

That's my impression as well. The 2nd Anointing is explicit: you are forgiven all sins but the sin against the holy ghost. So if you do the latter, you're damned. There's no need for the church to do anything.

And as a practical matter, the church would rather that anyone from bishop on up simply go away. The spectacle of excommunication is too demoralizing for the members. In the case of the 2A, can you imagine how much attention the ordinance would get from people like Dehlin?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 10:43AM

I have known of the Second Anointing since young and one of the main features is that it can never be revoked. That is why it comes with the title "Calling and Election Made Sure."

After that the only way to win a lantern-less vacation in Outer Darkness would be denial of the Holy Ghost.

Interstingly when I was first told about it, it was insinuated that the Holy Ghost himself visited you and did the song and dance "in person."

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 12:54PM

My concern is that members place their 2nd endowments above the rule of law. My brothers have conspired together to lie about my parent's Will. When I caught all of them in a big fat lie (I had a hand-written letter from my dad)they refused to talk to me and banned me from all family documents in their possession.They cleared the family home without notifying me. This is all so weird because in the past they liked nothing more than arguing with each other. One brother is a very close friend and former partner of W. Clayton. I can easily see how they could all slip in to a 2nd anointing. I did all the hard work as our parents aged. Oldest bro. says he is blocking my calls. Sheeesh---isn't there a law or something?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 01:11PM

Does this diplomatic immunity mean that members who have received a Second Anointing don't have to pay parking tickets obtained on Temple Square?

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 05:00AM

It is my understanding that every temple keeps a record of known Sons of Perdition (something like the no-fly list maintained by the feds). Not only is temple entry refused to the SoP's (also referred to derogatorily by temple workers as SoB's and PoS's), but their requests for parking-stub validations are also generally declined.

That is my understanding.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 03:07PM

It has always been my belief that once you leave or are told that you are no longer welcomed at church, then the spirit has withdrawn.

I am fairly certain that any high ranking leader who leaves the church or is disciplined, they have denied the HG and are subject to outer darkness.

I think the SA only works so much as you continue with the church. One you leave, the SA card is no longer valid in the eyes of the church.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 11:40AM

So it's like an employee badge that doesn't work anymore?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 01:44PM

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 12:59PM

I wonder if members with the second anointing go Around doing shit like having affairs and drinking and doing drugs and taking the Lords name in vain going to mass and what not. I mean hey whatever going to be a God after you die no matter what.

Truthfully I think there are very few if any - maybe a handful - Who believe in anything is absurd as a second anointing. Endowments are the kind of things that you can just sort of phase out and quit thinking about because you get forced to do them over and over so it’s truthfulness or it’s reality kind of becomes a part of your brain that is just unexamined I imagine. I can’t think of any other explanation for why someone would willingly go once a week or twice a month for decades To sit through a two hour session. It’s just… like Having a gun held to your brain every week, Or having Soussa music playing in your head super loud. Drown out the nonsense through fear or just zoning out.

I really can’t explain how else people can do it month after month year after year. my parents go all the time, my dad‘s a temple worker, I bet they’ve been to thousands of sessions. I’m sure they covet nothing more than something like a second anointing, or at least the blessings that they thin accompany such a thing.

And above all it just seems so boring and such a waste of time. With travel preparation and going home it’s four hours out of both my parents week, eating up time out of otherwise busy lives- The busy life of mothers and fathers and grandparents and a doctor etc- they know where their priorities lie though.

I’m sorry, this was more about her rants about the temple and general. I wonder if the temple like the Omaha temple is even considered ornate and special enough to have anything like a second anointing - I wonder if they only happen in temples in Utah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2021 12:41AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 01:13PM

I admit to a prejudice towards women who are endowed.

Plus I'm unalienable...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.