Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 06:14PM

On Monday my son in law who is not Mormon said they were removing the angel today. I went over and it was back on top again. I asked a couple of workers who were doing some repairs to the concrete sidewak what happened today. They said they took the old angel down and put a new angel up. They said the old one was tarnished with age (20 years) and they could see the difference when they were side by side on the ground.

A couple of internal comments to self. So it was not real gold plated but fake gold plated because real gold does not tarnish. Is there anything in the Church that is not fake? We were all lead to believe it was a good plated angel on top of temple. Yes, I could see the difference with the new one there now.

It required a crane and a hoisting crew to do the whole renewal. That meant that some workers had to go inside the temple and up into the tower to undo the securing mechanism. It also probably required some electrical guys to deal with the grounding system and maybe have that inspected by an electrical inspector. Now I do not know many Church members who are hoisting engineers, electrical people or inspectors in Edmonton. So I guess it is okay for non members to enter God's house. Back in 1960's I was going through a divorce and the church took away my temple recommend because they said "I had bad feelings" and "no unclean thing can enters God House." That was from a General Authority directly to me. My, how times have changed.

I am always amazed at what goes on with the Church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 06:26PM

I thought the angels were gold plated. Perhaps it was too thin and the metal underneath tarnished and it was visible through the gold. Or maybe it was polished bronze with a urethane protective coating that weathered away.

I believe when they they have to let in nonMormon contractors for repairs, the temple presidency simply do a quickie rededication of the temple, a bit like blessing the food.

Posted by: rubicon ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 05:22AM

The Moroni statues are fiberglas. They contain a lightning rod. I think some are gold painted.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 06:39PM

Knowing Joseph Smith's history, I think the girl from Goldfinger might be a better symbol.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 06:45PM

It's golden angel not gold angel.

The same argument done on the plates. Not gold but a holden colored alloy that was light enough to carry.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 06:47PM

When a gunman went into the Washington DC Temple in the mid 80's
lots of police went in there. I don't recall that any type of rededication or anything was done at that time. I'll do a little research on that.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 06:56PM

Well, I found out that the guy had an expired recommend and took hostages when they wouldn't let him in. He held them in the solemn assembly room till morning, requested a breakfast from police and then surrendered. They held temple sessions by that afternoon and no record was ever found that the guy was excommunicated. So, a little hostage situation with police inside doesn't warrant a rededication, apparently.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 09:19PM

How do you know there wasn't a rededication? It's three guys in an office. They don't invite ten stakes and wave hankies around.

Edit to add: I believe I heard this from an uncle who was a temple president. He's now deceased, so I have no one to ask to confirm. This was 30 years ago, so I'm fuzzy on the details. As I recall the conversation, they simply offer a brief rededication prayer after an unTR person has entered, and bingo, they are open for business/salvation again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2021 09:27PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 07:05PM

Sadly, there is at least one thing in the church that isn't fake – their money hoard. The Dwarves of Erebor have nothing on these moral dwarves.

And the contractors may not necessarily have been local. Canada is allowing vaccinated U.S. residents into the country, so they could have been TR-holdin', garment-wearin' mormons from Utah or Idaho.

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 07:16PM

I hear by news coverage, no DC temple Christmas festival lights this year.

Is bleakness catching on?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 07:21PM

Gold plate is generally no thicker than a good coat of paint. It is the least valuable application of gold. In jewelry it would be below gold filled and then the various levels of gold. 10k, 24k etc. Gold plate would weather over time when exposed to the elements.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 08:59PM

How many gold teeth does it take to plate a Moroni?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 09:07PM

I am shocked that the statue was replaced.

Maybe it's a Wendy thing?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 09:49PM

If Wendy had her way, Raymond would get the temple they were cheated out of 100 years ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.