Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 01, 2021 09:15PM

…..it is true even if nobody believes it.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf

The truest words ever spoken by a ‘General ((or specific) Authority’

But how can he actually believe that when the truth is, DNA evidence disproves MORmONism alone, by proving we didn’t all descend from two white people in Jackson Co Missouri 6,000 yrs ago, we all descended from a common ancestor with chimps and bonobos about 3 million years ago.

And our roots go down much deeper into this earth we call home.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimpanzee%E2%80%93human_last_common_ancestor

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2021 09:41AM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 12:42AM

In case anyone was wondering, the correct quote is:

"'The thing about truth is that it exists beyond belief. ... It is true even if nobody believes it.'"

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/president-uchtdorf-encourages-young-adults-to-discover-truth?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2021 12:44AM by lurking in.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 12:58PM

The thing about truth is that it is stranger than fiction. It is true even if nobody reads it.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 05:04AM

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."

Neil deGrasse Tyson

The literalist thinking of Uchtdorf is exactly why he should be a Mormon. I wonder if he ever saw flying reindeer during his time as a commercial pilot. If you're going to accept Jesus as physically real, why not Santa?

Mormonism is a fantastic mindscrew. It makes a lot of people crazy with its internal contradictions and the double binds that force you to swallow them.

Still, the church could be for some people the way cult classics have a small but devoted following. The way The Princess Bride is a cult classic among Mormons could be telling. Similar fantasy worlds. Anyway, back to the literalism and fundamentalist thinking. If you're the fundamentalist type who needs to be told what to do, the church may be for you.

To me, the church is banal and stupid. It says right in the book that Christ was born of a virgin. That means he is a metaphorical figure. Not historical, not something to be seen in a vision no matter how smashed you are. Granted, I've never been that smashed. My point it that the gospels tell you not to take them literally. Fundamentalists just can't take a hint.

The church is true because you believe it. Uchtdorf is correct in his personal case and only because of his delusions. Now, is delusion bad? Most loving relationships are based on mutual delusion, but we don't dispense with those. Likewise discarding Christianity might not be a good thing. Mythology is incredibly valuable. The church can't admit that it's based on poorly constructed mythology, so it lies its ass off. That’s what I can't get past.

Date: November 02, 2021 12:56PM

"poorly constructed mythology,"

And do you have an example of a good one?

Date: November 03, 2021 04:10PM

I guess not. Bug surprise.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 05:15PM

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."

Neil deGrasse Tyson

COMMENT: Tyson is confused. (If accurately quoted.) "Science" is not true or false because "science" is not a truth claim. There are, of course, statements within science that *are* truth claims, but the statement "Science is true" is incoherent, in the same way that "Democracy is true" is incoherent. The property "true" does not apply to these general terms. Rather it applies to specific statements (truth claims) about the world.

"To me, the church is banal and stupid. It says right in the book that Christ was born of a virgin. That means he is a metaphorical figure. Not historical, not something to be seen in a vision no matter how smashed you are. Granted, I've never been that smashed. My point it that the gospels tell you not to take them literally. Fundamentalists just can't take a hint."

COMMENT: This is nonsense. The virgin birth claim in the NT is a claim of a *supernatural* event, not a *metaphorical* event. It most certainly does not "mean" that the NT Jesus was intended to be a metaphorical figure rather than an actual historical one. Everything in the NT indicates that an historical claim is being made, which is why Christians overwhelmingly view it in that way. The literal resurrection of Jesus, as claimed in the NT, is what inspires his continued real existence in Christianity; and what inspired the claims of JS in the first vision.

Date: November 02, 2021 07:24PM

Isn't that where the second coming falls apart? If Jesus returned in the flesh, he would be locked up in an insane asylum. The best he could do is get a job as a Vegas stage magician. I'd buy tickets.

Virgin birth is a trope dating back to Sumeria. If Christians want to believe human parthenogenesis and ascribe it to supernatural magic, they might as well go all in with Golden Plates and Hebrew Native Americans.

This is where duality has gotten us. But does it make sense? The Virgin Mary is an icon of the divine feminine existing in every human. That is what gives birth to the Christ Consciousness within a person through God the father which is the Atman of Hinduism. So, even in the Catholic sense there is no need to invent a historical Christ.

Date: November 03, 2021 05:15PM

"Isn't that where the second coming falls apart? If Jesus returned in the flesh, he would be locked up in an insane asylum. The best he could do is get a job as a Vegas stage magician. I'd buy tickets."

COMMENT: Well, if he came in the same manner as he allegedly did to the Nephites as described in the BoM, I doubt his reception would be as theologically inconsequential as you suggest.

"Virgin birth is a trope dating back to Sumeria. If Christians want to believe human parthenogenesis and ascribe it to supernatural magic, they might as well go all in with Golden Plates and Hebrew Native Americans."

COMMENT: The history of the virgin birth concept is irrelevant to literalist Christian faith. Moreover, Christianity is a religious 'system' of faith, with ancient historical roots. Mormonism--with its "golden plates and native-American Hebrews" (not to mention modern prophets) is a deviation from that tradition. So, for a Christian "going with Mormonism" is not going "all in." They are already "all in" with the abundance of miracles provided in the Bible.

"This is where duality has gotten us. But does it make sense? The Virgin Mary is an icon of the divine feminine existing in every human. That is what gives birth to the Christ Consciousness within a person through God the father which is the Atman of Hinduism. So, even in the Catholic sense there is no need to invent a historical Christ."

COMMENT: What *your* 'faith' needs might be is one thing; and what a traditional and typical modern Biblical Christian's faith needs are is something else. Any any case, your metaphorical interpretations, however accurately grounded in mythology generally, have absolutely no compelling force as an alternative to faith in a real virgin Mary, a real Jesus, a real resurrection, and a real Jesus who hears and answers prayers in the here and now, and provides an opportunity for an afterlife. Your version of Christianity is substantively very empty and unfulfilling by comparison; which is why it has no traction in modern Christian faith--including Catholicism.

You can argue that traditional Christianity is false; and that Christian faith is therefore misplaced; but you cannot replace it with some empty mythological pseudo-Christianity and then claim "that's all Christian's need." Even if you are only speaking for yourself, I frankly doubt it! As a worldview, your version of Christianity is not much better than atheism; it is the debunking of Christianity, not correcting it.

It appears to me that you have gutted Christianity of all personal and metaphysical meaning (like Christian Biblical scholars), perhaps because you are having a hard time giving it all up in the face of your own doubts of literalism. It is like Mormonism; either you believe it or you don't. Reinventing it to conform with secular rationality, with the hope of preserving a modicum of 'logical' faith, is bound to be religiously unsatisfying.

Date: November 03, 2021 05:40PM

But it has a correctly crafted mythology I guess.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 11:28AM

So it sounds like there is objective truth, it's not up to personal interpretation, there is one right way even if everyone is going on their own path,

this is what irritates me about certain recent statements from oaks, where he said beware of the cult of personality and their is room for everyone's political beliefs within the church, nazis baby killers all welcome, they even went to Rome and kissed the ring of the pope, while at the same time if anyone here at home in utah questions the brethren general authorities they'll go to hell, they'll 'forfeit their families', current leadership in my view are confused, they don't know what the h they believe in anymore.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 12:54PM

"Facts are stubborn things" -- John Adams, quoting an old proverb.

TSCC likes to confuse "truth" with "facts" because the facts don't make the Church™ true.

Date: November 02, 2021 05:01PM

"But how can he actually believe that when the truth is, DNA evidence disproves MORmONism alone, by proving we didn’t all descend from two white people in Jackson Co Missouri 6,000 yrs ago, we all descended from a common ancestor with chimps and bonobos about 3 million years ago.

COMMENT: Mormonism encompasses many truth claims. If one were to make a list of such claims, the early Mormon version of young earth creationism might well be on the list, which as you say evolution falsifies. The question is whether that single falsification is sufficient to falsify Mormonism generally? Does one false truth claim invalidate an entire religion, belief system, or worldview? Maybe--especially when the claim continues to be made after it is falsified.

However, given the fact that not all Mormons--including its ecclesiastical authorities and apologists--subscribe to young earth creationism, it might be more fair to ask the following: "What truth claims of Mormonism are doctrinally or historically essential or fundamental such that their falsity would invalidate the entire religion for all believers? In other words, what are the necessary and sufficient beliefs associated with being a Mormon. Mormonism has never emphasized young earth creationism as a fundamental tenet, and in fact apologists and leaders in good standing have argued that evolution is compatible with Mormonism, notwithstanding scriptural and authoritative statements to the contrary. As such, this 'doctrine' cannot be deemed essential or fundamental.

Thus, Uchtdorf can make the statement that something is true even if no one believes in it; i.e. that truth is a property of a statement that is independent of belief (a realist) without worrying about whether some non-essential historical truth claim will be proven false, and thus falsify the whole of Mormonism. Religion generally, and Mormonism in particular has shown adept flexibility in modifying its non-essential traditional truth claims to meet the dictates of modern society and scientific discovery. Personally, I think the falsity of the historicity of the Book of Mormon comes close to falsifying the entire religion, but even this is arguable.

Date: November 02, 2021 07:48PM

It's hard to tell from the outside. Mormons will bend over backwards to accommodate changes in church policy, kind of the way David Bednar's wife does whatever it takes to keep the peace.

But the Book of Mormon origin story is THE defining feature of Mormonism. How many of the multitude of LDS splinter groups have abandoned that story in favor of Bible fan fiction? If you admit that Joe (or Sydney or whomever) made it up like the Wizard of Oz, there goes the entire foundation of revealed truth.

They could emphasize that Mormon doctrine is normative truth reached through the consensus of church leaders working through their own personal discernment. That keeps the supernatural aspect and allows depreciation of the doctrine of infallibility.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2021 07:54PM by bradley.

Date: November 02, 2021 11:15PM

Henry Bemis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> COMMENT: Mormonism encompasses many truth claims.
> If one were to make a list of such claims, the
> early Mormon version of young earth creationism
> might well be on the list, which as you say
> evolution falsifies. The question is whether that
> single falsification is sufficient to falsify
> Mormonism generally? Does one false truth claim
> invalidate an entire religion, belief system, or
> worldview? Maybe--especially when the claim
> continues to be made after it is falsified.

I suppose since the DNA evidence came out right around the time we mapped the human genome at the start of the 21st Century, those that would have been persuaded by the DNA evidence, have been.

The rest just upped their rationalization game or put on even bigger blinders.

I made the mistake of taking my family's Mormon faith seriously, despite the fact I was well educated in science and especially archeology, anthropology and genetics. It was my interest in genealogy that drew me to Mormonism.

When I was Mormon I used to reconcile the two world views by figuring God obviously used Evolution to create us, from other, less evolved creatures and at a certain point in time, we became human and those two first humans we call "Adam and Eve" which I always understood metaphorically, like most of the Bible stories.

I still see it about the same way I always have.

But back then I had no idea about our predecessor, Homo Sapiens Idaltu, (The First Wise Man, Elder, or, Adam)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herto_Man

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature01669

Nor did I know anything about Mitochondrial Eve, our last common ancestor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

Had I known about them, I would have used them as evidence that creationism was true! God really did create Adam and Eve and they were real people, but that Adam more than likely had a bunch of Eve's. Homo Sapiens Idaltu probably bred with Neanderthal, Denisovan, Nadelli, Cro Magnon, the list goes on. There were 12 other sub species of humans co-existing with Idaltu in Africa alone. He could have interbred with any or all of them and many more we have never even identified yet.

> "What truth claims of Mormonism are
> doctrinally or historically essential or
> fundamental such that their falsity would
> invalidate the entire religion for all believers?

I don't think there's anything that would convince all believers. You can't convince somebody with evidence that was never convinced by the evidence in the first place.

No amount of evidence is sufficient to convince a fool, or a delusional Mormon.

Mormonism meets the very definition of delusion: Maintaining erroneous beliefs, despite superior evidence to the contrary.

> In other words, what are the necessary and
> sufficient beliefs associated with being a Mormon.

1. The church is true, Therefore....
2. Joseph's Myth was a PRophet.....
3. Jesus Christ leads this church through his Latter day PRophet, Rusty the clown.

> Mormonism has never emphasized young earth
> creationism as a fundamental tenet, and in fact
> apologists and leaders in good standing have
> argued that evolution is compatible with
> Mormonism, notwithstanding scriptural and
> authoritative statements to the contrary. As
> such, this 'doctrine' cannot be deemed essential
> or fundamental.

It seems like the whole Adam and Eve story features pretty significantly in the whole Temple narrative, which is a pretty fundamental meta-narrative.

> Thus, Uchtdorf can make the statement that
> something is true even if no one believes in it;
> i.e. that truth is a property of a statement that
> is independent of belief (a realist) without
> worrying about whether some non-essential
> historical truth claim will be proven false, and
> thus falsify the whole of Mormonism. Religion
> generally, and Mormonism in particular has shown
> adept flexibility in modifying its non-essential
> traditional truth claims to meet the dictates of
> modern society and scientific discovery.
> Personally, I think the falsity of the historicity
> of the Book of Mormon comes close to falsifying
> the entire religion, but even this is arguable.

Right. To a true believer, 'truth' is all relative, relative to who's telling it.

If it's the PRofit, then, by all means, it's "Pure Truth®"

But if it contradicts the "Pure Truth®" of Joseph's Myth, then it's 'anti-Mormon literature'.

I actually had my Bishop (who was also my wife's OB/Gyn who delivered 3/4 of our kids) tell me it sounds like I've been reading 'anti-Mormon literature'. I asked him what he meant by that. He actually said, "Anything that contradicts the official version of Church history".
I said, "So the first 3 versions of the First Vision were anti-Mormon literature?"
He said, "Well, they all agreed with each other fundamentally."
I shook my head no and he said, "they don't?"
I said, "No actually, the fist one, the only one written in Joseph's hand, only makes vague reference to 'the Lord' and made no mention of Jesus or God or anybody but, "the Lord". The 'official version' was actually the 4th version, written 18years after the fact and under great duress, after all the witnesses of the Book of Mormon had either left the church or been excommunicated, like Oliver Cowdery, who got excommunicated for witnessing Joseph Smith having sex with his teenage housemaid, Fanny Alger, who was 16 at the time and refused to quit characterizing that as "that dirty, nasty, filthy affair." I believe Oliver Cowdery. Do you?"

He said he didn't come over to get into a big contentious argument. I told him I wasn't arguing, that he asked why I left and I told him. He just didn't like my answer. So he claimed he felt the 'spirit of contention' and got up and left.

Last I saw of him, other than him dropping off cookies once a year at Christmas for my TBM wife and kids.

Date: November 03, 2021 05:42PM

'spirit of contention' Big surprise.

Date: November 04, 2021 11:06AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'spirit of contention' = Cognitive Dissonance

Date: November 04, 2021 11:13AM

Whatever makes you feel better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.