Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 11:41AM

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/boss-supercluster-is-so-big-it-could-rewrite-cosmological-theory/

A wall of 830 galaxies 1.2 Billion light years across, dwarfs anything we’ve seen before, falling into an even more massive well of Dark Matter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpack ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 12:29PM

This is way beyond my understanding. Is the structure made of of Lego's?

Date: November 05, 2021 07:42PM

Galaxies, entangled in a web of cosmic ionized plasma, held together by dark matter until it forms black holes, stars, like our sun, and planets like our earth.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 01:26PM

Can't trust the article....It didn't say which one was Kolob, or at the very least how to hie there, and nothing about twinkling of an eye space travel.

Who do these people think they are?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 01:30PM

I nominate Mocha Matter as a replacement for Dark Matter!

> … an even more massive well of …

Where are the less massive wells?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 05:39PM

what would RfM be without OPie space threds ? ~

Date: November 04, 2021 05:54PM

Boring.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 08:03PM

It might stay closer to its purpose.

Date: November 04, 2021 09:26PM

RfM has a purpose.

The Cat has a purpose.

They are not the same.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 05, 2021 02:40AM

Read any good books lately?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 05, 2021 12:13PM

LW I can handle sarcasm but would submit there is a big difference between an occasional veer and a seemingly daily veer.

Date: November 05, 2021 04:50PM

I'm sorry you don't like my writing style, Kentish. I enjoy both your style and the substance of your posts.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 05, 2021 09:07PM

Nothing wrong with your writing style, LW, but since I participated in a post on books recently I assumed it was directed at that. Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Date: November 05, 2021 09:40PM

I think you've misread me. I skimmed the thread on books and didn't comment because I could invest days in that topic. I like Kerr, for instance, who gets the history almost entirely right; and nearly said that I'm even a bigger fan of le Carre, whose psychological insights make him much more than just an espionage writer. I also wondered why Greene and Ambler didn't get mentioned--or even Buchan and perhaps Conrad.

Anyway, I was not referring to that thread here. What I was suggesting in my implied dialogue with EOD was that I'm tired of these endless threads on half-understood physics, astrophysics, and philosophy. Does that count as sarcasm? I guess in a loose way, so your criticism may well be apposite.

But I was in no way mocking the thread on good books, a subject that I care about far too much.

Date: November 05, 2021 09:43PM

Rereading the thread, I see how you might see me as replying to your post. That was not my intention. If anything, I thought (and think) we were on the same page.

Date: November 05, 2021 10:13PM

If you are tired of existential threads, about the latest scientific discoveries, butt out!

Does somebody have a gun to your head?

Date: November 05, 2021 10:21PM

Every court needs a jester.

Date: November 06, 2021 11:42AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every court needs a jester.

If by Jester you mean detractor, then sure.
You add nothing to any conversation.

Date: November 06, 2021 12:54PM

I could swear you’ve posted about the Great Detractor before. . .

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 06, 2021 01:05PM

wut is this thred about ? ~

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 06, 2021 01:10PM

Jesus

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 06, 2021 10:58AM

All is right with the world.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 07:41PM

"falling into an even more massive well of Dark Matter."

Do beings who live there say the galaxy is going down the toilet?

Date: November 05, 2021 12:43AM

bradley Wrote:
> "falling into an even more massive well of Dark
> Matter."
>
> Do beings who live there say the galaxy is going
> down the toilet?

Maybe the Mormons were right, the world is headed for outer darkness, along with the sun, the galaxy and the whole Laneakea, immeasurable sky, galactic neighborhood.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 05, 2021 01:37AM

"Dancing in the Dark Matter"

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 05, 2021 01:26PM

Frankly, I want nothing to do with the Boss's dark matter and am glad its falling into a well and not on the office floor.

A few years ago I came in early to work and found large dog poop on the carpet in the cube aisle. Someone had brought their large dog in over the weekend and they must not have known it marked the territory. I called facilities and they cleaned it up.

In an opposite dimension, that was god pooping on the floor.

Date: November 05, 2021 02:56PM

Wouldn’t the universe be the largest structure in the universe?

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: November 05, 2021 06:06PM

This thread reminds me of a quote from astrophysicist, John Barrow:

"Every solution of Einstein's equations describes an entire universe. . . We hear a lot about that accurate description of our universe, of its past and its present, and of what to expect in the far, far future. But it has passed unnoticed how remarkable it is that a mathematical theory . . . can provide a description of an entire universe. The fact that there can exist a mathematical structure of which our whole universe is a particular outcome is rather astonishing. There could be no stronger evidence of the inadequacy of materialism and no better argument for the reality of a logic behind the appearances that is larger than visible reality itself."

Date: November 05, 2021 06:14PM

Henry Bemis Wrote:
> "There
> could be no stronger evidence of the inadequacy of
> materialism and no better argument for the reality
> of a logic behind the appearances that is larger
> than visible reality itself."

That conclusion requires an enormous leap of faith. A common set of mathematical and physical laws does not require a creator: to the contrary, one might argue that the lack of universal rules requires a supernatural force's intervention.

The beliefs of scientists, as opposed to the scientific observations themselves, are no better than anyone else's beliefs.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: November 06, 2021 12:22PM

“That conclusion requires an enormous leap of faith. A common set of mathematical and physical laws does not require a creator: to the contrary, one might argue that the lack of universal rules requires a supernatural force's intervention.”

COMMENT: What conclusion? The quote does not mention a creator! The conclusion is only that there is "a logic behind the appearances that is larger than visible reality itself." This statement does not imply that the source of this underlying logic necessarily is God, or an intelligent, creative agent. The fact that you made this assumption indirectly plays into the hands of creationists—-obviously not your intent.

The underlying mathematical logic of the physical world is an uncontroversial given. Creationists argue that this implies God. Your misreading of Barrow’s comment as implying a belief in a creator suggests that you agree with the Creationists. Of course, Barrow and most other physicists would vehemently disagree, in favor of some natural explanation. However, such a naturalistic stance may indeed also be “an enormous leap of faith,” as you suggest.

What Barrow is really saying is only that this underlying mathematical structure shows that scientific materialism—i.e. the view that all facts in the universe are explainable by appeal to matter and energy as scientifically identified and described—is inadequate. What he is suggesting is that the logical structure behind mathematical physics of itself takes us beyond such materialism. That is his point, and he is quite right! Moreover, although Barrow does not address this additional point directly, this mathematical structure requires an explanation; either a naturalistic explanation of some sort, or proposing some intelligent agent.

Furthermore, as noted, the complex mathematical structure of the universe is a given. The question is only its origin and ontological status. If "one might argue" that a hypothetical *lack* of such mathematical structure would require more of an explanation that the existence of such structure, by all means argue it! Such a statement strikes me as absurd; it is equivalent to suggesting that order is the natural state of things, and disorder is the exception, which is directly contrary to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, and itself implies a deity that maintains such order. Under current scientific principles, the expected state of a universe would be randomness, a lack of order, certainly not precise mathematical order. As such, it is this order that must be explained.

“The beliefs of scientists, as opposed to the scientific observations themselves, are no better than anyone else's beliefs.”

COMMENT: As noted, John Barrow, and every other physicist in the world, believes that the mathematical structure of the universe is a given. This belief is based upon overwhelming scientific observations as he, by his own profession, intimately understands. Since that is not disputed, or reasonably disputable, the question, again, is why; what is the source of this remarkable fact? Barrow and most other scientists believe the explanation, whatever it is, is a natural explanation, not a supernatural one. That is a metaphysical position, no better or worse that the metaphysical position that an intelligent agent is required. At this level of speculation, direct “observations” play no role in one’s preferences.

Notwithstanding, we can note that what needs to be explained is mathematical logic and structure as it exists in the universe; a highly ordered state of affairs. What is the ontological status of mathematics itself such that it has such a predominant role in the physical world? Clearly its status is “realist” in some sense, perhaps some sort of platonic existence. Given the ontological status of mathematics, and its natural ties to the physical world, and its purely logical structure—-are we really that far away from postulating God—an intelligent agent that encompasses such logic and order and instantiates it in the universe?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 06, 2021 11:48AM

Not sure I like massive wells; but I sure loved Dawn Wells.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.