Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 06:51PM

Since leaving TSCC, what are your feelings regarding swearing? Do you swear more, less, no change? Does it bother you when others swear?

And.... does it bother you when women swear, but not so much when men do? Is it a sexual turn-on/off?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kryptonite200 ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 06:56PM

I swear about the same and try to keep it to a minimum. Not that I have anything against swearing, it's just that I like to not lessen the impact on swear words by using it all the time.

I'm not bothered by anybody else swearing either, not even when women do it, don't really consider it either a sexual turn on or off.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:00PM

It doesn't bother me when others swear but I don't like to swear bc I think it makes me sound common.

And seriously, I don't really see that it adds that much to any point I'm making. Certainly does little to make me sound eloquent.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:00PM

I have sworn for years but not horribly. I definitely have cut down on the swearing quite a bit since having kids.

Oh and it doesn't bother me when anyone else swears, men or women.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 07:01PM by ginger.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:02PM

I like to swear. A whole bunch.
It doesn't bother me to hear it either, unless we're talking about racial epithets.

However, if someone can't go without every other word being a naughty bit, I start to wonder if they have a problem.

Swearing is a lot of fun. If that makes me juvenile, so be it.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:05PM

I think swearing raises your blood pressure.

Ok, once in awhile, it's kind of fun to shock the heck out of someone who has never heard you swear. Or sometimes when you're having sex. That's an appropriate time to swear. Or if your stub your toe.

But if you swear all the time, it just sounds like you have a potty mouth (putting it delicately). At least that's how it is in America. Other countries profanity is more interesting than ours.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:55PM

You're absolutely right. Maybe it's anger that raises your blood pressure. Maybe exessive swearing can lead to anger. Or maybe it's just me. I feel depleted when I'm angry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 07:56PM by wine country girl.

Date: July 10, 2011 09:15PM

wine country girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think swearing raises your blood pressure.
>
> Ok, once in awhile, it's kind of fun to shock the
> heck out of someone who has never heard you swear.
> Or sometimes when you're having sex. That's an
> appropriate time to swear. Or if your stub your
> toe.
>
> But if you swear all the time, it just sounds like
> you have a potty mouth (putting it delicately).
> At least that's how it is in America. Other
> countries profanity is more interesting than ours.

I had to laugh when I read your comments on sex and stubbing your toe because that's pretty much when I swear IRL. My persona here on the board is a tiny bit more bold than I am in person. But... just a tiny bit. ; )

I swear in my dreams a lot. Like last night, in my dream I told some stranger to, "Shut the fuck up," but I'd never really say that. Funny. He deserved it though. I was trying to sleep and he was being so damn loud.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:09PM

I love swear words, but like all words, I try to use them in the most appropriate way.

I did not swear much when I was in TSCC, but it really didn't bother me then, either.

I don't care at all when others swear.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:11PM

But I'm not incapable of toning it down in the interest of good communication and just getting along-- which I do all the time for the sake of the Mormons and other religious sorts I know.

I don't care about profanity-- except I don't want to hear the f-bomb constantly. I like the word and I like its power and I hate for it to be diluted by frequent usage.

I would rather hear profanity than other euphemisms (flip, fetch, freak, darn, dangit, shoot, etc.) any day.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:18PM

But i don't swear often. When I do you know I'm serious and should be taken so. Or when I'm totally being an ass, I'll swear then too. ;)

My husband swears like it's going out of style. It doesn't bother me and since leaving he's added a few new ones like "god" and he's really enjoyed "fuck."

Edited to add- every time I swear, Hubby says I'm better then that. I really don't agree but whatever... ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 07:27PM by heather.

Date: July 10, 2011 09:43PM

heather Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
every time I swear, Hubby says I'm
> better then that. I really don't agree but
> whatever... ;)

Yes, mine really doesn't like it when I swear a lot, and I know we've already talked about this. ; ) Actually, I think he thinks it's kinda cute when I say "shit" when I mess up something I'm working on.

I like to keep my swearage in reserve. I like the shock value when I only swear once in a blue moon.

I love it when an cute little ol' lady that I've never heard swear, get's upset about something and then says, "Well... shit." It's like she has to think about it first. I love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 09:44PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:20PM

IMHO, to get offended over *A* word is silly. How that word is used is a different story. Swear words can be used without hurting anyone or they can be used to hurt, so can other words. There is nothing inherently offensive about any word. Any word that people think of as offensive can be used in non offensive ways.

So, my feeling is, to me, "swear word" is an arbitrary designation put onto a few words by some people that I think should be done away with. So, I swear, but I also moderate it when I am around the tight asses that get bent out of shape over *A* word even when it is used in a non-hurtful way.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:57PM

I swear the same, but you have to take into account my profession - sailor and I've been doing it for 20 + years now, so I have all kinds of fancy words I have heard, used, and come up with.

I don't mind people who swear, it makes me laugh sometimes when others listen in and try to be shocked.

Around my children, I try to not drop f-bombs and such, but it comes out now and again - oh well. Figure at least they will know how to properly use it when they get older.

And who the fuck decided that I can not say shit, or call someone an asshat, or say goddamn when something good or bad happens or call bullshit when it is obvious it is or say JesusMaryandJosephwhatthefuckareyoudoingareyoureallythatfuckingstupid when a deckhand does something really dumb that could hurt themselves or others, or even say fucking A' that is cool, and the list can go on. Just curious is all.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 08:22PM

Well, shit, yeah, I like to swear.
Truth be told--I grew up non-mo and swore to varying degrees. I quit some time before I joined the morg. I acted somewhat shocked (OK sometimes really shocked) when people would swear at work. Well, the middle of an open nurse's station is not the place to drop the F-bomb or say "Jesus tits" in a loud voice.
But I never felt quite myself. After all, sometimes you need a good swear word as a descriptive and while there are all kinds of other words to use, I find never swearing to be quite limiting. Eventually I took it back up, especially when I quit attending for good back in 2001, and considered myself well and truly done in 02. Since then I have felt authentic. I swear some, but I don't make a career out of it.
Just nothing like a good swear word. Like a really cold Diet Pepsi on a hot day!
Susan

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 08:32PM

They say that people who swear all the time lack the vocabulary to express themselves properly. Having said that, a well placed swear word can emphasise a point or emotion better than any other.

I do swear, but only occasionally. When I was in the church, I used to be ridiculous about it, going so far as to say to other people who swore to tone their language down! What a pain in the butt I was!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 08:38PM

Now I don't feel guilty.

It depends on the company I'm with. At work I never, ever say anything that might resemble swearing. You never know what kind of sensitivities you have around.

With my family and certain friends I can swear all I want which isn't really that often. It helps with frustration or expressing humor sometimes.

I remember thinking in my Mo days that people who swore did so because they were not good at expressing themselves with real words. Now I've learned that the right swear word in the right spot can add humor, emphasis, or accuracy.

Swearing doesn't bother me but like everything else, you never know when you are around a bunch of tight asses. :-)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 08:40PM

I swear like a sailor and I have an excellent command of English vocabulary. I tend to agree with MJ. There is really no such thing as a "bad word". Words are neutral; it's the intent behind the words that make them offensive or not. That being said, it's best to use discretion in using so-called swear words because some people are pretty uptight about cussing. It's usually not worth upsetting people just for the sake of using taboo language.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 08:40PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: cussabunch ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 09:18PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 09:23PM

I think I could strip paint, sometimes.

We had a major server outage. I said "Oh, fuck!"

"There's no need for swearing!" said a sanctimonious colleague. However, seconds later when he noticed the server had gone down he shouted: "fucking shit server!!"

I laughed, like unto a drain.;o))

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 09:23PM

I have a friend that spent about a decade in Asia and he says feck - I thought it was funny especially if you envision a Chinese dude saying it - so now I say 'feck' What the feck etc. I also say cheese and rice!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 09:34PM

Date: July 10, 2011 10:07PM

well then, it would seem that 'feck' is multi-cultural! MUAHAHAHAHAHAA

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 09:27PM

Once, when I was a supervisor in the temple, I had a meltdown when everything had gone wrong. I said, without thinking, "Holy Shit!" There was a dead quiet around me...and people looked at me in shock.

All I could think to say was "well, at least it was HOLY shit!"

Date: July 10, 2011 09:38PM

> All I could think to say was "well, at least it
> was HOLY shit!"

Classic.

Date: July 10, 2011 09:40PM

OMG!!! that is hilarious!

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 10:29PM

Last week I was doing a floor repair for an 82 year old lady. She started really slow with a shit here and a damn there , but before we got through she was cussing about as well as anyone I've ever heard. I don't curse or allow crusing on the job because I'm in so many different homes and it's not very respectful to the different people. I do cuss at home but not a great deal.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 10:30PM

I used to swear never. Now I swear occasionally.

Anagrammy

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 10:40PM

Cuss words don't scare me. Few people I know utilize swearing to any degree, but these words pop out sometimes. Big deal.

"Clean cussing" has become bothersome to me. I don't unload an f-bomb at work, but apparently frick-bombs are okay. These people cuss like clean sailors. What the frick? I don't fricking understand. Darnit, I know Mondays are shirty and the boss is an ars, and oh my heck, I don't want to be at goll-dern work on a fricking Monday either, but just fricking deal, right?

And H-E-double toothpicks on that one.

I guess there's a time and place for everything.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:00PM

My mother hates the F word. BUT she likes to watch "Dead Like Me" which I have on DVD. Even with all the f-bomb dropping and other swearing.
So she was over one day and we watched it together. When Roxie shot Mason in the knee, Mason howled "Fucking hell!"
Mother turned to me and asked "Fucking hole?" like she'd been saying it for years.
I replied "No, Fucking HELL. And since when do YOU have such a potty mouth?"
Mother mumbled something about getting used to it from watching the show.
I love telling this story!

Susan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 11:01PM by escapee.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:45AM

It's simply a matter of social convention. When you think about it, what is the difference between "sh*t" and "fecal matter"? They both mean the same thing and shit is much shorter.

What's the difference between "f*ck" and "sexual intercourse"?

They're all just words. It's extremely arbitrary that certain words have been determined to be taboo and too coarse and vulgar to be tolerated--when they're just words. Historically, this is probably the relic of a rigid class system. The upper class have their way of speaking and the lower class have their's. The upper class arbitrarily determined that the words favored by the lower class constituted bad and filthy language.

In the case of English, it may even be the case that much of the language now thought of as dirty swear words was simply the language used by ordinary people prior to the Norman Invasion. When the Norman gangsters set themselves up as the ruling class, their language became "proper" and other forms of expression became improper. Colonization of physical territory is almost always accompanied by colonization of mental territory--including colonization of language.

In any case, it is simply social convention. As a practical matter, you may have to watch your language simply for social reasons. It's not always a good idea to offend the easily offended, if the offense is easily avoided and there is no particularly important reason for offending them.

More basically, it seems that the human psyche has an innate need for a set of taboo words. As a person goes through life, he or she seems to need to express mini-rebellions through the use of prohibited words. If all swear words today were suddenly decreed to be proper and wholesome, I think we would immediated set to work creating a new set of "bad" words, so that we would have some way of strongly expressing our displeasures. Sometimes, it is just a lot more meaningful and satisfying to say "f*ck that nonsense!" than it is to say "I'm not entirely pleased with the concepts you are advocating here."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.