Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:53PM

'IF' Christianity is 'the only' way as Bible suggests...What About all those ppl who lived/died w.out learning abt Christianity.

Christians are befuddled with this question 'dilemna'; Some thing salvation is universal because of 'Grace', other qualify it to varying degrees.

ChurchCo provides for those ppl (sort of) with genealogy, Dead Dunking, etc.

What says the Board?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 09:09PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:56PM

Those heathens are stupid for being born into a place that never heard the one true way- SO fuck 'em, they deserve to go to hell for their ignorance and ungodly ways.

I have heard and read this several times by rabid fundies.

Posted by: apostateepiscopalian ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 10:09PM

I am stealing this for a stand up bit.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 08:54PM

In an ongoing dialogue with my TBM, lifetime CES employee brother he dealt with the huge contradictions in Mormon doctrine that I brought up with the "we don't know about that and just have faith that God will deal with it as he knows best" defense.

Then he tried to show me how Mormonism was superior to other Christian sects because Mormonism had a way (tedious and convoluted and full of holes of course) that these people who never heard the Gospel can be "saved."

Of course the other denominations can (and do) use the "we don't know about that and just have faith that God will deal with it as he knows best" defense as well.

Something about the beam in one's own eye and the mote in thy brother's

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 09:03PM

Oh, sort of the "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" defense?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 09:08PM

I've heard all kinds of answers from Christians on this topic.

Some will say, "Too bad, so sad, off to hell they go."

Some will basically give the same kinds of answers Mormons might give based on what they perceive their God would do:

God loves everyone and will make it right (grace, yada yada).

We don't understand God's ways. A lot of the Bible is metaphorical, blah blah.

My favorite answer is:

"We don't know."

Christians basically can justify whatever they want to think just like everyone else.

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 09:49PM

Good point, but I always thought that Luke 12:48 kind of implied that people were only held responsible for what they understood. I'm no Bible expert, so it could be a misunderstanding.

Also, when David and Bathsheba's baby died, it was mentioned that David would one day go to visit him again, assuming he was in Heaven. Babies have no concept or understanding of accepting a God or doctrine. So if God could bring a baby to Heaven, I would (think) he would save someone who had never even read a Bible.

But then, i'm not an expert by any means. A lot of people's theories about the Bible come from their own interpretations. Which is where part of the problem is.

"Those heathens are stupid for being born into a place that never heard the one true way- SO fuck 'em, they deserve to go to hell for their ignorance and ungodly ways.

I have heard and read this several times by rabid fundies."

If I ever heard somebody say that, I am pretty sure I would kick them in the genitals. What a douchebag thing to say.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 10:03PM

"For behold that all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all them that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, cannot repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing—" (Book of Mormon | Moroni 8:22)

No baptism required at all. Only later were temples and baptism for the dead introduced into Mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.