Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 12:57PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 01:23PM

"...attracted hundreds of thousands of curious visitors to marvel at its grandeur...

...to be dedicated to serve its purpose as a house of the Lord.

...will be dedicated with a cornerstone ceremony on Sunday with the help of none other than an indirect descendant of Joseph Smith, founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

marvel at its grandeur?
house of the Lord?
none other than?

I'd be put off if the article was about, say, the (US) President dedicating a major library.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 01:59PM

He looks already embalmed.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 02:55PM

Hehehe

Date: November 10, 2021 03:03PM

"Ballard, ... is 93 years old and the longest serving general authority alive."

I know TSCC is obsessed with death, but are there dead GAs still serving ?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 03:04PM

LOL! English is hard.

Date: November 10, 2021 02:02PM

From what I understand, there are no authenticated JS descendants...? There has been much speculation among the various girls and women he bedded, but no verified descendent.

Informed expert correction seriously requested here.

Thus, the best they can get is an..."indirect descendent"? Either you're descended, or you aren't.

Is that the same as a pseudo- or quasi-descendent?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2021 02:02PM by caffiend.

Date: November 10, 2021 02:08PM

He had four or five children with Emma.

Date: November 10, 2021 02:39PM

Which helps explain why direct descendants were not available or forthcoming. Thus, a tip o'the hat to LA Ex-Mo, below.

Date: November 10, 2021 02:45PM

What you asked before your edits was whether JS had direct descendants. The answer was that yes, he had direct descendants.

Date: November 10, 2021 03:37PM

If I have this right, few or none of JS's direct descendants are now affiliated with tCoJCoLdS (Salt Lake), having affiliated with other post-JS latter-day-saint factions. Hyrum Smith, and thus his descendants, stayed with BY and are thus more available for offices such as "Ribbon-Cutter of the Month."

Perhaps there are JS descendants affiliated with the SLC church, but none came forward for the Pocatello ceremony.

And again, thanks.

Date: November 10, 2021 03:59PM

I think in the immediate aftermath, none of JS's family went with the BY/LDS group, but with the RLDS.

The article linked below says:

"Kennedy said he and Jones have found almost 1,500 living descendants. Of those, 130 to 140 are Latter-day Saints with various degrees of church activity."

and

"While some Smith descendants are still part of the Community of Christ, those numbers are shrinking, he said, estimating that 'less than 5 percent' of descendants are now part of that faith."

It's not clear if "Latter-day Saints" includes only LDS, or if "various degrees of church activity" includes other branches too. Logically, it must include nearly inactivity (or member in name only), otherwise there would be no need to consider "degrees" of activity.

5% of their known descendants are still members of the RLDS/CoC, while 9% have some sort of church activity, presumably LDS.

In spite of the Des[p]eret News spin, the CoC is a much smaller group, so having 5% of JS's descendants as members is more significant (and long-term organic) than TSCC having recruited 9% over time, especially if through their awkward spinmeistering it really means 4% + the CoC's 5%. And it certainly means that some of them are not really active (typical LDS number manipulation). I'm surprised they don't just mail all 1500 copies of the Ensign and then claim them. ;)

Date: November 10, 2021 04:02PM

There have been 2 huge hemorrhaging of members in CoC(aka RLDS) which involved giving women full participation status and acknowledging homosexuality wasn't a sin.

Smith's spawn might have left with those crowds.

Date: November 10, 2021 04:07PM

Interesting observation.

I wonder if Smith's male descendants might be genetically predisposed to the polygamous groups.

Date: November 11, 2021 03:12PM

In my wanderings on The Internet, I would say no. They all followed their mother's lead I believe.

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 02:24PM

The descendants of JSJr didn't go west with the Brighamites. Several became leaders in the RLDS. Hyrum's spawn generally stayed mormon so they became more well-known (like the Ballards).

This is a Desperate News piece, but it presents a general overview -

https://www.deseret.com/2007/10/5/20045243/smiths-descendant-on-family-quest

Date: November 10, 2021 03:25PM

I'm always surprised that this isn't more of a wake up call to Mormons, that Emma and the kids went with a different group, and that another group owns the special spot in Missouri, and that courts have sided against the LDS with these other groups (as the true beneficiary of what was Joseph's Myth).

Date: November 10, 2021 03:30PM

btw, thanks for the link. Interesting read.

"Michael Kennedy's wildest dreams could not have foreseen that dead ancestors would consume his life one day."

That's because he didn't grow up Mormon, otherwise being consumed with dead ancestors would have been no surprise at all! ;)

"Emma does not want sympathy," Kennedy said. "Empathy, maybe, but not sympathy."

So, before converting he had no idea who these people were, and now he presumes to know what Emma Smith wants (in the present tense). Does he speak to her in the temple? Good grief. I want to vomit.

The real irony here is that he's reaching out to the RLDS, when if they have found him first, he'd probably have joined them instead.

Date: November 10, 2021 03:49PM

> "Michael Kennedy's wildest dreams could not have
> foreseen that dead ancestors would consume his
> life one day."

"LOL! English is hard."

--EB

Date: November 10, 2021 04:03PM

Haha! I didn't catch that one.

Life must be scary when zombie ancestors are so relentless!

Date: November 10, 2021 04:06PM

Ballard is fortunate that his dead ancestors haven't consumed his life yet.

Garlic? Silver bullets? Inquiring minds want to know.

Date: November 10, 2021 04:18PM

Speaking of dead ancestors, the notion of non-living GA's above has given me an idea!

Imagine augmenting the missionaries and senior missionaries with a new category: Deceased Missionaries! Man, no food or lodging costs. Just a little more temple work to get it going.

Date: November 10, 2021 04:35PM

Conference rebranded as Weekend at Bernie's.

Date: November 11, 2021 03:13PM

For me this brings up a question. Does Rusty ever entertain? Have dinner parties? Does his schedule allow for private parties where he can show people his lighted pen?

Date: November 11, 2021 04:09PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... he can show people
> his lighted pen?

One of the few things I absolutely do not want to see is his lighted pen.

Date: November 11, 2021 05:44PM

I don't want to see him in person. Glad I never have.

Date: November 10, 2021 04:04PM

But I thought dreams did see into the future?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 03:36PM

Direct Descendant: a biological descendant of a person.

Indirect Descendant: a blood relation, but not a biological descendant of a person. Used by some people because it sounds better than "third cousin, twice removed" or similar relationships

Date: November 10, 2021 04:10PM

I'm every Mormon's cousin if they have enough generations back. Thanks Dad and Brigham Young.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 03:15PM

What about Josephine Lyon ?

I don’t think they’ve been able to rule her out.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 08:55PM

Kimberly Jo Smith, who joined the COJCOLDS along with her children, is a great-great-granddaughter of Joseph and Emma.'

She has a somewhat sickening memoir on Amazon.

Date: November 11, 2021 04:42PM

This descendent seems to be able to be less stalwart.

"“I have been called ‘less of a Mormon’ multiple times over my life. Mormonism is in my blood. It’s who I am. I will always advocate for it to be better. I am Joanna Smith because I’m a literal descendant of Joseph Smith,” she said. “Religions in the US should not be interfering with legal proceedings. A statement like this puts the prophet above the law… Our prophet doesn’t need to be telling us when we can tell the truth and who can we tell the truth to.”"
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/fox-13-investigates-lds-church-urges-leaders-to-not-participate-in-any-type-of-court-case

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 09:14PM

I'm just curious as to why Neil Anderson wasn't given permission to dedicate the temple all by himself. Is he not senior enough to handle it?

They made a big deal about Anderson being a Pocatello native.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 09:25PM

"...attracted hundreds of thousands of curious visitors to marvel at its grandeur..."

My bank opened a new ATM back in 2009 and sent out a newsletter stating that people were coming from miles around just to see it [the new ATM].

Well, duh. They had closed 5 locations and anyone who wanted access to their money HAD to go there to use their new machine.

I still don't know people who would make a u-turn just to see another boring church building.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 11, 2021 05:18PM

Agreed. I'm not sure I buy the 100s of thousands. Maybe 20 thousand or even 50, but 100s of thousands? Nah.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 10:26PM

Bohica

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.