Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 01:49AM

I hope IZZY's family OWNS the school district & Everyone in leadership or responsibility who knew of this but didn't discipline those responsible.

Lock, Stock, & Barrel.

SHAME SHAME SHAME ON THEM AND THE SCHOOL-MATES INVOLVED

I also hope it makes the family attorney 'A Ton of Money'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2021 03:02PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 11:45AM

I understand because I was subjected to this when I was about the same age.
NO MERCY!!! Imprison the bulliers for a few years the horse whip them annually upon their release

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 05:55PM

in b 4 ~ ban racism in utah school ~

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 04:52AM

Wow.

Date: November 12, 2021 03:43AM

THE ENTIRE SCHOOL SHOULD CLOSE UNTIL AFTER A MEMORIAL SERVICE OR FUNERAL.

PERIOD.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 04:51AM

Bullying is out of control in US schools because the principal and teachers are scared of lawsuits. You have parents who enable bad behavior and blame the school for thei lack of parenting.

When I went to school they didn’t put up with it. You got whacked with a stick by the teacher and if your were really bad you got paddled by the principal.

Where my wife went to school in Singapore you got cained for bad behavior and they still do it.

The US is lax on discipline and a lot of our problems stem from that.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 11:02AM

problem. My son had difficulties in school. He did really well with teachers who treated him well. He did poorly in schools where teachers were mean to him and they were. The neighbor boy who is about 20 years younger than my son had one of the same teachers my son had. He is nothing like my son, but this teacher treated him the same way. He just would pick on those he didn't like. And it is accepted.

I heard about this girl on the radio news. She is ONLY 10! I was in shock. What a young age to be that despondent about life and then you hear the kids saying, "She was wonderful. I was her friend." And you know that they were probably some of the ones who bullied her. Like mormon kids can be. I saw it working in the primary and Young Womens. Hell, they are just following their parents' lead. I was shocked by how other leaders acted towards me. I asked to be released from one calling because of the leaders I worked with and how they acted.

They definitely learn it from the adults in Utah.

Her death is so tragic. Sad thing is, nothing will be learned from it here.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 11:41AM

Yes. And it's not just the schools. Law suits have crippled everything. Anyone in authority now is "owned".

You want to scare the crap out of your employer, or teacher, or anyone? Just say, "You're making me uncomfortable." Which is code for I will sue you and I will win.

You can no longer blame the teachers or employers or whoever for not lack of discipline. Our system punishes the wrong people.

And they will win because everyone got insurance to protect themselves, but, insurance is a business and they only think in terms of getting the lowest settlement possible and any justice is a pipe dream.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 12:34PM

Clearly a horrible tragedy.

I wonder though how a 10 y/o special needs child gets hold of something to kill themselves with ?

And under whose supervision ?

Date: November 12, 2021 12:43PM

that's a Side-Track Kathleen.

Date: November 12, 2021 01:37PM

Yes, a sidetrack from the bullying history. That was covered in this thread.

I want to know why the child is dead. If I were part of an investigative team, I'd look elsewhere than suicide.

Date: November 12, 2021 01:46PM

I'm with you kathleen. I want the broader picture.

Date: November 12, 2021 02:45PM

even children have the means of suicide handy, some in their homes such as knives or chemicals.

There are several available means of suicide, jumping from high places (bridges, buildings), other weapons besides knives.

And yes, it might have been something provided by one of IZZY's tormentors.

FGS, give IZZY some respect in her final days-weeks-months of living a Hell On Earth.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2021 04:41PM by GNPE.

Date: November 12, 2021 03:50PM

+1

Date: November 12, 2021 04:44PM

It's the responsibility of officials (police & prosecutors) to investigate all the facts & circumstances, so yes, 'the big picture' is needed by those effected and by society at large; Context is Always important to most any event or situation.

Date: November 12, 2021 05:16PM

There is no disrespect to Izzy in what I said or what Kathleen said. None.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 09:59PM

You're saying, "But, but, but what about the parents?" That is a deflection. We're talking about the reasons and not the means.

1. Being on the autistic spectrum does not mean someone is stupid.
2. You'd be amazed at how easy it is for children to kill themselves.

Even the best helicopter parents have had a child end their life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2021 10:00PM by Beth.

Date: November 13, 2021 10:06AM

I never said that Beth. I said nothing of the sort. And my one line there does not include parents. You have no idea what I am thinking. Period. Don't insult me by putting words in my mouth. That was truly tacky.

Date: November 13, 2021 02:39PM

Forgive my lack of tact and assumptions.

What broader picture do you want?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 02:31PM

Here is another death.
https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/texas-boy-hangs-himself-after-battling-depression-amid-covid/amp/
Sadly kids can Google and find things out quickly.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 13, 2021 11:39AM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clearly a horrible tragedy.
> I wonder though how a 10 y/o special needs child
> gets hold of something to kill themselves with ?
> And under whose supervision ?

Even young children can find the means. I was teaching class one day (in a typical urban classroom with lots of behavior challenges and mental health issues,) and a young child climbed up to a desk near an open window of a third floor classroom, trying to jump out. It happened very quickly. Thankfully I saw him and was able to grab him in time. I've seen children bring knives and guns to school. I'm sure they often have access to poisonous chemicals and meds at home. I have no doubt that elementary aged kids can be depressed enough to kill themselves.

Schools in my district have increased mental health and social work services within the past few years. Other school districts may not have caught up as yet.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 02:09PM

It's tragic, I saw this in the standard a few days ago in the paper, the standard examiner has been dog mouthing davis school district now for a few weeks, supposedly there's been hundreds of inappropriate racist acts by other kids happen in the last few months the most notorious one was when that buss driver decided to run off when a black kid was caught in the door, the family won 60,000 from the tax payers and the bus driver retired. Davis district is supposedly only 1% black, yet inappropriately handles many discipline issues, so the activates profess,...

Date: November 12, 2021 05:39PM

Seriously?

You don't think the attitudes of Utahns who believe the Anglo-Saxon races should use violence against other races played a role in this? What happened here is the natural result of viewpoints that you have espoused scores of times.

Perhaps it's time for some introspection.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 02:51PM

And what is predictable (to those too familiar with the human psyche) is there will be no reflection, no responsibility, and so no learning, and so no change of behavior (as evidenced from the article itself already) -- except perhaps for a doubling down.

The perpetrators will feel not regret, but rather smugly and righteously justified by her death.

Mormonism/evangelicalism seeds this.
Creates an "evil other" which must be justifiably liquidated.
Conveniently passes all responsibility for evil to a fictional being "Satan"

Look to Georgia.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 03:27PM

How awful!

My sincere condolences to her family.

Date: November 12, 2021 04:09PM

Lawyers, Judges, and courts exist to resolve issues peacefully, not to cause them any more than a police officer or firefighter arriving at an event-incident.

Hate & a superiority complex led up this this tragedy & others like it, PLEASE DON'T BLAME OTHERS.

I agree with Dr. No.

Date: November 12, 2021 04:38PM

GNPE Wrote:
> Hate & a superiority complex led up this this
> tragedy & others like it, PLEASE DON'T BLAME
> OTHERS.

It's simple, isn't it?

A kid was tormented and took her own life. The people who tormented her and those who failed to help her have blood on their hands.

That's all that matters.

Date: November 12, 2021 05:46PM

There is nothing simple about the death of a little girl. I hope investigators don't pass it off as such.

Date: November 12, 2021 06:10PM

Oh yes, it is simple. A community turned its back on a little girl and she was tormented to the point where she killed herself.

Complexity is sometimes a way to diffuse responsibility. THAT is what must be avoided.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 06:33PM

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4034000/isabella-faith-tichenor-suicide-bullied-autism-race/

Even the Sun has enough decency mot to give more details.

Does anyone here hav ANY evidence that this was not investigated by the authorities?

These comments may not disrespect Izzy, but they do minimize the racism and bullying that caused this.

Date: November 12, 2021 10:01PM

no words

Date: November 12, 2021 05:26PM

The problem stems from school leadership, and sadly in a lot of schools and school districts, bullying is (unofficially) tolerated. Principals don't want to have a lot of disciplinary actions on their records, and they pressure teachers in subtle and not so subtle ways to not make reports. And they probably don't want to take on certain parents as well.

This is the sad result. The DoJ really needs to come down much harder on Davis County. And the Mormon church could do a lot more to help as well.

Date: November 12, 2021 05:37PM

summer Wrote:
> This is the sad result. The DoJ really needs to
> come down much harder on Davis County. And the
> Mormon church could do a lot more to help as well.

And the children's parents. It strains credulity to think that parents 1) were not aware of what was happening to the girl, and 2) the bullies were not influenced by the attitudes of their parents.

It's astounding how many people must have averted their eyes from the plight of that beautiful kid.

Date: November 12, 2021 05:39PM

IDK if there's a statute that address these situations, there should be.
It appears the school staff may have been Negligent in performing their duties to IZZY and the other students.

Date: November 13, 2021 12:55AM

It's often a case of a (lousy) principal bullying the teachers into not making too many official reports, because too many reports threaten the principal's job. So the principal makes it clear to the teachers that if they, in turn, make too many reports, their jobs are threatened as well (doubly so in Utah where there are few job protections.)

Teachers are expected to "handle their business." So if you call a parent with a complaint, and the parent doesn't care, you are out of luck. A lot of teachers will only make an official report if blood or a physical injury is involved, because that makes parents go ballistic. Teachers learn to pick their battles with school administrators.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's why staff might feel compelled to look the other way. Also, a lot of schools and school districts would rather bury their collective heads in the sand than provide adequate mental health services to students.

It's also a big part of the reason why I left teaching in the regular classroom (I'm in a specialty position these days.) There is not enough support for teachers in dealing with behavior issues.

Date: November 12, 2021 06:09PM

When I first saw the headline, my initial thought was it is probably Davis County.

As someone whom attended K-12 in Davis County, I am not at all surprised by this. Nor am I surprised by the federal DOJ's action against the school district. For the details of that see

https://www.ksl.com/article/50267260/doj-investigation-reveals-serious-and-widespread-racial-harassment-in-davis-school-district

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-reaches-settlement-remedy-severe-racial-harassment-black-and-asian

It should have happened years ago. Maybe that would have prevented this tragedy.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 13, 2021 10:58PM

This is an article of interest that linked from that first link.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50277429/byu-researchers-identify-risks-for-suicidal-behaviors-among-teens

Suicide is the second-leading cause of death among adolescents in the United States and No.1 in Utah with an average of 660 suicide deaths per year, according to the Utah public health database.

And of course we can't allow ethnic studies.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50282688/this-utah-high-school-dropped-an-ethnic-studies-class-heres-why-students-are-upset

Date: November 16, 2021 09:54PM

O wow, talk about too late....

Are there any Utah laws that address these problems?

Shame doesn't nearly begin to cover this.

Date: December 08, 2021 11:53AM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2021/12/03/black-utah-student-was/

"As they started to peel away, West said, he noticed one boy on the other team linger over him. With his back to the stadium lights and his teammates providing cover, the boy hissed just loud enough, West said, for him to hear from the ground: “Stay down, you n-----.”

“Don’t f-----g call me a n-----,” West said he shouted back, jumping up to defend himself.

The next thing he heard was a loud whistle from the referee and the word “ejection.” But only West was being pulled from the game.

“So a white boy said the N-word, a Black boy defending himself said the same N-word, and yet only one was punished,” said West’s mom, Lissa West. The other team “went home and celebrated a win that night while my son went home in tears wondering why he decided to stand up against racism.”

Still, the UHSAA says it stands behind its decision to discipline West.

Davis School District, whose jurisdiction includes both the teams, also investigated the exchange. But it did not take any action against the opposing team or the players there. A spokesman for the district did not respond to requests for comment on this story."

"Jeff Cluff, the assistant director of UHSAA, said the association has seen an uptick in racial slurs being used against students and staff of color during games across the state this fall.

That includes Tre Smith, a Black basketball coach at Cyprus High in Salt Lake County, who walked out to his car to find “white power” scrawled in the dust on his back windshield last month. (Though the problem has also persisted for longer, too, including derogatory comments hurled at another Black Utah high school coach in 2019.)"

And Cache County

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2021/12/06/sky-view-high-parents/

"The controversy involved a Nov. 23 diversity assembly at the Smithfield high school, during which a country music video was shown including stock footage from the Civil Rights Era and depictions of more recent police brutality and profiling of Black Americans. Several residents said they felt the song’s message was an attack on white people and law enforcement. Other residents defended the assembly, saying it was a necessary response to recent racially insensitive incidents students observed at the school and shared on social media.

A student at Sky View High School showed up on Halloween in a KKK costume. That same day another student came on stage dressed in a basketball uniform with a bald cap and his face painted brown. The district assured attendees that both students were referred to the office to discuss why those costumes were offensive."

Date: December 08, 2021 03:28PM

Let's see if the church has the integrity to denounce this stuff strongly or continues lukewarm.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 08, 2021 03:41PM

God cursed people in their holy book with black face.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 08, 2021 10:10PM

The lds church could come out with a pamphlet against racism. We all remember "for the strength of youth" pamphlet. Every teenager got that. Now instead of just teaching the purity culture the lds church needs to take a stand that we are all children of God of eternal value and that racism will not be tolerate and that the temple recommend will be revoked. The prophet needs to speak out firm against racism.

Date: December 08, 2021 11:35PM

+1

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 09, 2021 12:08PM

A previous case of hers is on the docket for when she falsely accused a black teenager of stealing her phone. Now she's done it again. Turns out the phone was in her purse the entire time.

I mean, the guy's got dreadlocks, right? Right?

https://nypost.com/2021/12/09/woman-finds-cellphone-in-purse-after-accusing-black-man-of-theft-video/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.