Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 03:26PM

Funny, worthiness interviews aren't considered abuse.

"In a September statement, an LDS Church spokesperson said the church “has zero tolerance for abuse of any kind.”"
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/11/17/sexual-abuse-case/

I'd say that they are especially if they involve talking about sexuality.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 04:02PM

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion"

I won't link to or print the entire poem because it's difficult for many of us to understand 1785 language. But essentially it's an enduring thought - that it would be great to be able to see ourselves through the eyes of others and maybe correct our course as necessary.

For absolutely definitely sure Mormon Church leaders live in a bubble and are carried away on the pleasant stream of their own isolated make-believe little world. They should read less of their own press and more from the outside world for a change.

By the way, funnily enough, the title of Burns' poem is To a Louse.

PS: Re the sexual abuse rampant within the church - the leadership needs to educate themselves so they can do better, in defining what this encompasses, in identifying occurrences, in clamping down on offenders and in arranging expert assistance for survivors.

They have a lot of work to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 04:14PM by Nightingale.

Date: November 19, 2021 04:22PM

Oh, would some Power give us the gift
To see ourselves as others see us!
It would from many a blunder free us,
And foolish notion:
What airs in dress and gait would leave us,
And even devotion!

And I might add abuse.

Date: November 22, 2021 03:15PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have a lot of work to do.

So does the government.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/years-rescue-turpin-children-living-squalor-donations-pledges/story?id=81254457

Out of the religious parent's nightmare home into the fire of possible sexual and physical abuse at the hands of stranger "parents."

Big business and government like to say they have "zero tolerance" but don't really focus on the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2021 03:16PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 04:25PM

From my experience, as well as the stories on this board, the Morg has zero tolerance of abuse being reported to anyone outside the church. Why else would they talk about how a victim of abuse should figure out what they need to repent of?

And an adult with zero training in medicine, sexuality, or mental health asking minors questions about sex counts as abuse, if you ask me.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 04:48PM

The legal documents say otherwise.

Many of the cases I know of personally are well documented here,

https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/index.php?title=File:INSTANCES_OF_CHILD_SEXUAL_ABUSE_ALLEGEDLY_PERPETRATED_BY_MEMBERS_OF_THE_CHURCH_OF_JESUS_CHRIST_OF_LATTER-DAY_SAINTS-2017-06.pdf

Many more are not documented, but I know of personally, way too close to home. But I feel fortunate to have gotten my kids out of this abusive CULT before any of them fell prey to the sexual psychopaths protected by the abusive CULT, by virtue of the fact they were penis holders and their victims were all children.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 06:13PM

Then why are bishops instructed to first call the church when notified of abuse? Why not the police or Child Protective Services?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 08:02PM

The church policy is to call church legal department before calling cops, testifying in court or even giving a witness statement.

The church protects itself above all else. Always.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 21, 2021 01:40PM

ministers, priests, rabbis,= all clergy = Avoid becoming
'mandatory reporters' (is that the current name?); their position is to deal with 'sinners'.

this needs to change, asap

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 08:08PM

Bull.

The church promotes and condones sexual abuse each and every time it asks a seven year old if they masturbate.

Each time they ask a girl if she was touched above or below her clothing.

Each time they ask an abuse victim to not step forward and threaten withdrawal of membership to anyone that speaks out.

The father of lies is proud of his church and its leaders as they lie to billions in the name of truth.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 08:40PM

Yet they still sing the praises of a sexual abuser who founded their Abusive CULT of Joseph’s Myth, who abused his power over his followers to Cuckold them by (pretend) ‘marrying’ (raping) their wives and teenage daughters.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 21, 2021 01:58PM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 09:23PM

So says the church that supported polygamy until the US Government forced them out of it.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 10:22PM

And all those reformed Priesthood holders who get put back in charge of young people...

Posted by: B&W ( )
Date: November 20, 2021 03:27AM

Unless they are doing it.

Then the threshold is much higher.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 20, 2021 05:01AM

B&W Wrote:
> Unless they are doing it.
>
> Then the threshold is much higher.

The well known lying and abusive LDS church claiming to hold all the reigns to the restored Christian church.
Suddenly as if by magic, not only are we not Mormon anymore.

We never were!

Same as some of these joke electric SUV cars with 4000lb batteries so that they might go about 250 miles in cold weather.
A vehicle that once weighs only 4250 lbs is magically 'better' but weighs now 9000 pounds?

That us one big big hammer traveling 70 miles per hour.
So I guess everybody now lies.

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: November 21, 2021 12:21AM

A family member had shot some amateur video at a xmas ward dinner/program. I was looking at it because I have been digitalizing my family's personal VHS tapings. So here was a rare ward xmas party featuring a lot of primary singing of popular secular holiday songs.

At the very beginning, I see a "Grandpa" sitting with a grandchild. This man was later convicted of molesting several of his grandchildren. He was given a slap on the wrist (imo) because he was given community service and no jail-prison time. Surprisingly, the stake president held court and exed him with a strong rumor that there would be no reinstatement.

The family was outraged that he got exed. They publicly spoke out against local church leaders for being prejudiced against this "good man in church and the community". He unexpectantly died in a plane crash. Quietly, the family wrote the first presidency (and probably a cash donation to the church) and this monster was reinstated.

TL, DR

On a video, a grandpa has a grandchild sitting on his lap. Grandma is sitting on the other side of the table. There is no chair adjacent to Grandpa, the child is forced to sit on his lap. Seems innocent except he was convicted of molesting his own grandchildren.

Later, the lights are dimmed and turned off as the program proceeds. It is possible that he is abusing the child right under everyone's nose and no one suspects him. He's a high and mighty priesthood holder. The lord wouldn't allow it as members are taught to believe.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 21, 2021 09:09AM

Starting when?!? How is this to be enforced, let alone proactively avoided. Professional gaslighting.

Date: November 21, 2021 10:15AM

True enough. The church places men in positions where any child could ruin there life and where predators find opportunity. They could just mitigate the risk to these men by making minor interviews a thing of their past. They take naked touching out of their temple yet retain invasive interviewing. Being grilled by a strange adult man is worse than the naked touching but it was pretty bad. No consent and all condescension. Also the idea that this man could define the value of a child through an interview goes beyond reason and into mental abuse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 10:16AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 21, 2021 03:12PM

The source of Mormon abuse in its myriad forms is the authority structure: the principle that God preferentially speaks to select men and that everyone else must respect their decisions. As long as that principle remains in place, stopping the evil is a game of whack-a-mole.

But if they abjure that principle, there is nothing left. Mormonism becomes just another Protestant church with a lot of unattractive overhead. Which means what? That the church will keep its authority claims and the abuse will continue.

There's no way out.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 22, 2021 12:41PM

That's what I was thinking. After my shelf collapsed, I felt like I had been mentally raped.

Date: November 23, 2021 02:58PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> There's no way out.

Perhaps this is why Dan Peterson actually defends the church by saying secular places are much more prone to abuse. He knows the abuse is never going to be given the efforts it deserves to be reduced.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2021/11/sex-and-the-church.html#disqus_thread

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 21, 2021 01:50PM

there are other forms - means of abuse, including financial & emotional abuses.

Date: November 22, 2021 10:34AM

This guy got his skull fractured.

https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma-minister-tackled-by-bystander-arrested-by-police-after-allegedly-touching-child-inappropriately-at-bus-stop/

Yet children are led into an office and the door closed behind them and who knows what happens.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2021 11:46AM

But the whole organization is based on abuse

Date: November 22, 2021 11:48AM

That's why they need good spokespeople.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 22, 2021 12:43PM

Good thing Jesus has that $100B slush fund.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.