Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 10:37PM

I was just looking through the search form at some of FreeAtLast's posts, and one of the responses:

"For my insecure, Mormonism-'brainwashed', over-controlling TBM sister, it's always been: "We went to college for three years to get a technologist's diploma, then we did two years of university to get the mechanical engineering degree. After that, we went to night school for four years - while working and fulfilling family and church responsibilities - to get an MBA."

Sounds so much like one of the Stepford wives, responding to the main character when asked if she doesn't feel like she's wasting her life as a housewife:

"No, I don't. Frank and I are a unit, and together we're doing electrical engineering research, and maintaining a clean comfortable home, and raising two children, and doing important community work through the Men's Association."

Uh HUH....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:04PM

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:14PM

In the Stepford Wives, that wouldn't be possible for her to "get it in a few years." But to tell you why would spoil the entire story. It's a great (if creepy) read.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 06:00AM

You know, I'm beginning to question poster's stories more than I did several months back. Not out loud, of course, in case I'm wrong, but there are some things people I am unfamiliar with say on the board that lack authenticity for me. There have also been some manic-strange posters that I could tell needed some serious medication. But I try as best I can to take people at face value and give benefit of the doubt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 06:01AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 11:50AM

Sharing Facebook is a little weird. I think a little independence goes a long way. My husband used to police the things I said and make comments to me like, "Don't say you had a cup of great coffee this morning to all your Facebook friends." I "unfriended" him about a year ago. We like having a little bit of independence. Being joined at the hip all the time is not all its cracked up to be.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 06:37AM

I thank God everyday I was born to nonmember parents and a mom who drilled it into me about the logic of getting a degree and a career to support myself before I married and that I didn't fall for any of the breed 'em young shit when I was at YBU for my last two years of college AND I GRADUATED. :-)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 07:53AM

I've heard mormon women talk like that before "when we were in college," or "we are in law school," etc.

I just want to say,"um, excuse me, but your husband is in college, you are an ignorant, uneducated, brainwashed dolt." I don't feel that way about all housewives, I feel like my (ex)husband being able to get through college was an accomplishment on my part too, because I went through a lot during those years. But I have a hard time with women who have no educational goals for themselves and think they're getting an education through osmosis because they're cooking dinner for their hubby every night.

Posted by: losinglisa ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 08:23AM

My TBM friends do it all the time, and yeah it creeps me out and makes me sad.

The male equivalent is the husband talking about "our" pregnancy, and "we're" in the first trimester and "we're having really bad morning sickness. They just love sharing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.