Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 02:03PM

Why, when a person becomes an ex-mormon, must they suddenly become big fans of the U of U? Bumper stickers, flags, an obsession with U of U football. There are LOTS of colleges in Utah that "aren't BYU." If it's not your alma mater, why join the bandwagon? Did the U take some sort of public anti-mormon stand that I'm unaware of?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 02:56PM

I think it's basically that in becoming 'anti-mormon', it's easy to include a switch from cheering for the Y to cheering for an arch-nemesis, The U.

I won't hazard a guess regarding the percentages, but I've read a number of posts by exmos who state that they know they ought to switch their allegiance from the Y to some other school, but just can't do it...

This conundrum is right up there with, "Do I keep my blessed BYU bride, mother of my seven kids, or do I dump her and marry a stripper?"

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 03:41PM

> This conundrum is right up there with, "Do I keep
> my blessed BYU bride, mother of my seven kids, or
> do I dump her and marry a stripper?"

So . . . do you cheer for the Y or the U?

Date: November 23, 2021 03:48PM

I backed up the timeline and gave my heart back to Fifth Street Junior High.

Go Tigers !!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 03:48PM

You wait until she dies and then marry someone 30 years younger than you.

Date: November 23, 2021 04:07PM

A male billionaire had worked long and hard to attain that financial landmark...so hard that he'd never had time to cultivate any romantic entanglements.

Having attained his sought-for financial goals, it was finally time to expand his efforts into the romantic sphere, so he hired a well-thought-of, highly recommended matchmaker, who soon had the billionaire in a romantic pickle: he couldn't make up his mind between three attractive women:

A)  The Yale M.D. pediatrician with a thriving practice, who wrote best selling kids books and spent a month in Africa every year healing poverty-stricken children,

B)  The Harvard Law School graduate who, after a brilliant and lucrative law firm career, had been appointed to a Federal Appeals Court and was touted as a likely Supreme Court nominee, and

C)  The Annapolis top-of-her-class graduate Marine Major pilot Ace (three confirmed kills), Karate Black Belt, who was on the shortlist to become the Marine Corps Commandant.

Which one of these accomplished women did he choose?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 11:03PM

If he's going to keep launching himself into space, he should go with C or start dating astronauts.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 01:30PM

D A very attractive much younger than him hooker. She will look great in the ostentatious getup the rich wear to "the races."

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 11:21PM

I know the answer to this riddle….but no way EOD are you going to bait me into putting it in black and white…. Nice try.

Date: November 24, 2021 11:39PM

Hahahaha!

Someone posted the correct response, but it was quickly taken down for reasons too prurient to mention…

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 27, 2021 02:57PM

in b 4 ~ the one with the biggest eyes ? ~

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 27, 2021 04:27PM

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> in b 4 ~ the one with the biggest eyes ? ~

I've heard legend of I's, never ever seen more than triple HHH though ..

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 08:29PM

"This conundrum is right up there with, "Do I keep my blessed BYU bride, mother of my seven kids, or do I dump her and marry a stripper?"

See, there's the problem with the modern church. With BY at the helm, you really could have it both ways.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 04:09PM

I could walk to the U in under an hour if I had to. I have no bumper sticker, flags, and have never been to a UofU football game. Of course I care even less about BYU football. Neither school has a hockey team. How bush league is that. :)

U women gymnastics is pretty good.

Not every exMo "must" become a UofU fan. Don't leave broad generalizations lying around. Somebody is liable to trip over them.

Posted by: Nuggett ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 04:28PM

I think you hit the nail on the head Elder forgotmyname, also I would love to hear from someone who works at the U of U mail room. I can only imagine the wave of letters mailed to church membership (i.e. resignations) that comes from all the new freshmen every fall.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 09:03PM

I doubt that many resign. Eighteen year olds have other things on their minds than LDS paperwork. Plus I doubt even more they would send paper letters to do it. They even find email too clunky.

I have heard that enrollment at the LDS Institute there is way down from what it was 20 years ago. I will ask around and see if I can get some numbers.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 04:57PM

Just an FYI. Brigham Young founded the U of Utah in 1875.

Posted by: Ute ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 07:13PM

He actually founded the University of Deseret in 1850.
The name was changed to the University of Utah in, I believe, 1892

Date: November 23, 2021 09:15PM

Hey, Oh Ute of Israel, might you have any info on what happened to the Sigma Pi U of U chapter, mentioned in the cited Reddit posting?:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/pe214r/looking_for_info_on_what_happened_to_the_u_of_u/

Posted by: Ute ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 11:48PM

No idea. It was gone when I got there.

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 07:27PM

Actually, what confuses me even more is when ultra TBMs love the U and despise BYU, like most of my Utah tank relatives. Let alone the very Church they devote their lives to sponsors and supports BYU, It's almost as if they don't even acknowledge the fact that the tithing dollars they gladly give filly supports the institution they despise so much. We are TBMs to the max, but we hate the Lord's University. It is very strange indeed.

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 07:28PM

TBM not "tank"

Posted by: UNLV fan ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 09:39PM

I am a big fan of UNLV. Can't you tell from my screen name?

Posted by: Nada ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 10:31PM

If yoU don't like the U
You can Vote at the zoo
Why care if u aren't an X
And if it's not Your Zone

Blue can't turn Red?
Red must turn Blue?

What shouldn't you do?
Speculate!

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 11:00PM

I am a native Floridian but my older sibs were born in Georgia. So, it was the GA Bulldogs in my house growing up.

I detest football from years of forced watching with 2 older brothers. When my youngest brother finished hs in '78, I watched no more football. EVER.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.