Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 02:21PM

There were two speakers who spoke for 20 minutes each and said NOTHING
Has anyone else ever experienced a situation similar to this?
I don't think that more than half the congregation was put to sleep however!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 03:50PM

But was each speaker sincere about his or her nothingness?

I like it when I think the person speaking is sincere about the nothing.

!!! ETA !!!:    I say this in Jesuseses's name, amen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2021 03:53PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 04:04PM

could talk for a long time and say NOTHING. He'd read a scripture now and then. His talks were disjointed and BORING. A friend of mine was a bishop in his stake and he asked me if my uncle had some dementia.

At another uncle's funeral, he spoke. Before his talk, everyone was crying. My little sister was SOBBING. Within minutes after he started talking, all the people were no longer crying and you could tell were bored. He even did this at his own daughter's funeral and he tried to make jokes.

He was not active mormon until 50 when the bishop challenged him to go to church. He was fairly wealthy and I assume that is why he became SP. His wife was always mormon, but she used to tell me "he was a lot more fun before he found religion."

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 04:05PM

Yes.

Every single SM I ever attended as a "convert" (who knew next to nothing about the history or beliefs so more fool me for diving into the font in the first place, I know).

I kept waiting for the enlightenment that was promised to arrive post baptism. You know how that worked out.

What I could never get used to was (1) the expectation of hearing something inspiring from a meeting (surely today at last, dear God), which never occurred, and (2) the droning repetition of all the same basic boring remarks over and over, by every speaker, in every meeting. I could not fathom the utter uselessness of so much of a muchness through all the years of one's membership. At first I felt defective for being bored and disappointed but then I just got the hell out. If God is going to punish me for craving a bit of something new, alrighty then. If that's his price to enter the gates of Mormon heaven, it's too high.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 06:19PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes.
>
. At first I felt defective for being
> bored and disappointed but then I just got the
> hell out. If God is going to punish me for craving
> a bit of something new, alrighty then. If that's
> his price to enter the gates of Mormon heaven,the
> it's too high.

As usual, Nightingale is exactly right. Last Mormon Ward I attended, one member of the bishopric was fond of saying, "If you're not feeling the spirit in Sacrament Meeting it's YOUR FAULT!" As if I was to blame that listening to someone stumble through reading an old general conference talk was my fault for finding it boring and repetitious.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 07:46PM

Shinehah Wrote:
> As usual, Nightingale is exactly right.

I'm going to print this off and frame it! :)

> If you're not feeling the spirit in Sacrament Meeting it's YOUR FAULT!"

Oh yes, I'm reminded now of hearing that so often.

I was also told by my supposed good friend (a BIC - the one who got me into Mormonism) that my debacle of a baptism was my fault too. He never explained that one. The blame part I lay on myself is that I didn't determine during the pre-baptism assembly (or long before it) that I was making a big huge awful mistake - I've told the story here several times before but bottom line the bishop was a complete and total jerk and everybody just followed his lead. Why did I think I was past the point of no return? Didn't want to make a fuss? Things would get better? Etc etc etc. Bottom Line: They did not. Get better that is.

Sometimes I still hear that drumbeat: It's your fault. It's your fault.

And I never knew why my "friend" even said that. Something about being responsible, or choosing, your own feelings. If you don't want to feel offended you won't feel offended. Alrighty then.

>As if I was to blame that listening to
> someone stumble through reading an old general
> conference talk was my fault for finding it boring
> and repetitious.

Exactly: Boring and repetitious it is.

Most everything I know about Mormonism I learned from posts here on this board. I think somewhere along the line they decided to say as little as possible to potential converts and rush them into the tank as it's harder, they hope, to back out once dunked. But then with the absolute skimming from the top of the info pool they do during SMs now (and not making room for me to ever attend RS - I was winkled off to be a Primary teacher - what a laugh - teach what? I didn't know anything!), I also learned not very much at all post the bap.

My also-rushed convert friend and I used to wonder to each other WHY - why why why does everybody say the same thing over and over in meetings, and not very much of it? No way did they ever teach us any church history or doctrinal positions at all. At first I thought the short talks by kids, mishies going out and mishies coming back were preliminary intros to the main event - the bishop, or some other senior member, giving a rousing sermon-style pep talk to get people through their upcoming week, even just a tiny bit inspirational sometimes, like in regular churches. Uh, never happened. The bishop acted more like an MC and had no starring role at all.

Too, I'd never been to a church before that gives you jobs and then micro-manages every move you make. Like assigning me upkeep of the hallway bulletin board and then telling me to take down the pictures of Jesus I had used to decorate the place because they weren't the Mormon Jesus (they didn't use the phrase Mormon Jesus but for sure they just wanted the strawberry blonde guy in the red sash or coat or whatever the hell they use for their own depiction of him).

Wow. Sometimes it seems like yesterday.

Anyway, even a blue moon would never get my bum back in a Mormon pew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2021 07:49PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 01:16PM

Last mormon meeting I was in gave me a headache, we started singing nearer my God to thee really really slow all 4 verses, and by the time it was over, I could feel the tension in head building, no song is meant to go on for 15 minutes, mormons call this 'worship' so being bored out of your skull is worship I guess?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:13PM

Why did you do that to yourself? Life’s too short!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 01:01PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> There were two speakers who spoke for 20 minutes
> each and said NOTHING

I've experienced long pauses in F&T meeting but this takes the cake.

> Has anyone else ever experienced a situation
> similar to this?

I never have been in a Mormon meeting where people said NOTHING. I have experienced a lot of awkward silence and annoying whispering in the temple.

Date: December 03, 2021 03:09PM

What I meant was
Having nothing to say they spent 20 minutes saying it

Date: December 03, 2021 03:10PM

Well, if they read from GC talks, less than nothing but full of feel good stories stolen from others.

Date: December 03, 2021 03:18PM

my point is this:
I have done considerable research on the life and times of the man jesus of nazareth
Based on this I gave a tlak in SM one sunday and was never asked to speak again,
Why are people so opposed to recieving information that substantiates their claim to the authenticity of the man?

Date: December 03, 2021 03:21PM

Did you talk mention aliens?

Date: December 03, 2021 05:47PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Did you talk mention aliens?
NOBUT:
If God odes not live on this planet he is by defination an extraterrestrial

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 01:34AM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> There were two speakers who spoke for 20 minutes
> each and said NOTHING

It's good to know some things never change.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 01:53AM

Mormons have nurtured & grown their skill(s) at not speaking to substantive matters, I'd be surprised if they don't discuss this strategy - tactic amongst themselves...

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 02:37PM

I attended services at the abusive CULT of Joseph’s Myth of Doomsday Cucks for 25 years and nobody said anything worth hearing.
You’d think in all those years somebody, anybody, would have mentioned Joseph Smiths other 33 pretend ‘wives’, or the fact his only real wife, Emma, didn’t buy any of Joseph’s sexual abuse of his followers wives and teenage daughters. You’d think at least once we would have discussed ‘The Law of the Priesthood” D&C132:61-65 which condemns Joseph’s abuse of his followers as adultery. But no. Nobody ever breathed a word, in 25 years of attending that God Damned Abusive Doomsday CULT, did anybody breath a word about how abusive it was, how we sang the praises of a serial rapist and Cuckold Bull.
Instead, this CULT, turned otherwise good men into lying sacks of shit with no backbone, far more interested in ‘protecting the so-called ‘good name’ of the church’ than the were in protecting me or my friends and loved ones. The blood is on their hands and on the hands of the money grubbing abusive CULT!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 02:41PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 03:49PM

this was one of the featured speakers the last time that I went to a book of MORmON church "Sackerment" meeting which was a missionary farewell for a family member. This talk was boring.....to say the least...... but the speaker did have this "climax" to finish his very dull remarks by saying something really stupid as he made his decree that people really need to get a better look at the Book of MORmON.

It's only one minute long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AVj0lSQ_Yg

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 04:20PM

the words 'droll' and 'banal' come to mind...

just sayin'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.