Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 10:44AM

Things I have heard from Mormons recently…

* A high-school’s gay and straight alliance club is just for hook-ups.

* Doesn’t trust government. “One day government will tell me where I can live.”

* Organic fruits extended a friend’s life who had terminal cancer, after deciding to go “the natural route.”

But, yet, they’re completely beholden to Mormonism. What happened to all that skepticism verging on paranoia?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 10:48AM

They're not really skeptical in the arguments and philosophy sense. The things you list are examples of confirmation bias and begging the question fallacies, which is the entire crux of Mormonism itself.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 04:43PM

Agreed. Going from one faith-based system to another is not much of a change.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 11:52PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agreed. Going from one faith-based system to
> another is not much of a change.

Sweetie, that's sloppy at best and might even boarder on insanid (insanity) at worst.

Faith based is any potentially flawed belief system. Yeah yeah, trying to maintain that there is no God doesn't take faith, because you just 'know' the same way everybody you knew was taught.

Your basic hang-on's and holdover's from MormØŽ-ism are showing like a skirt too short for the liner underneath.

You don't know.
You don't have the intelligence required.
And, you're way way way off base here.

Why say stupid stuff?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 10:49AM

Smokers who exercise fits too

Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: December 08, 2021 12:50PM

I get what you’re saying. And I don’t fully disagree with that perspective.

However, I don’t think it’s completely illogical for a smoker to partake in some healthful activities. The person would likely be better off if he were to abstain from smoking. However, a person with significantly deleterious habit need not reject everything that may promote his health. Inclusion of some healthful pursuits may result in a net benefit to the person’s well-being.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 11:12AM

If said "skepticism" is born of divided loyalties to a competing beliefs system, it's not skepticism. Still guided by belief.

This is the dynamic of the typical "skeptical" Mormon, considering the cognitive structure of the typical drone

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 12:18PM

Compartmentalization is a survival tactic of the Mormon mind, or, any cult mind.

When I left Mormonism I had to take all the stuff out of the drawers of the cortexes and the lobes, dust them off, and put them back in a new order.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 12:24PM

Gay-straight alliances have been around since the late 1980s. The Utah flap over them was in the late 1990s. The complainer needs to catch up with the times. The current whine-du-jour is poor picked on white people.

"Don't trust the gummint is anti-science with different wallpaper. the government already tells you where you can live, or rather where you cannot live - flood plains, national parks and forests, etc, and your house needs to meet building codes so it is not a firetrap, or in danger of collapsing, or similar defects.

"the natural route" - even more obvious anti-science. Organic fruits to treat cancer is low-rent anti-science. The people who go full-bore advocate things like powdered dog pancreas. Steve Jobs had an unusual form of pancreatic cancer that was actually treatable with a fairly drastic surgical procedure. He chose instead to treat it with a macrobiotic diet or some such. Did not end well.

Like macaRomney's skepticism about Neanderthals, and the ability to age ice cores by counting the layers, or that the sun is powered by hydrogen fusion, it is the skepticism of a two year old that simply says no to reality.

Scientists are often skeptical too, and suffer from confirmation bias and the like, but between replicating experiments and peer review, scientists do eventually follow the evidence. Even then, acceptance of new theories, to some extent, advances one funeral at a time, as the aphorism goes.

Mormons in particular have good reason to be anti-science. Their foundational claims simply don't stand up to scientific scrutiny. The choice is to abandon the claims (reformed Egyptian, the sun powered by Kolob) or abandon science.

Once you have eased your cognitive dissonance by abandoning parts of science, it's a short step to abandoning any scientific data that conflicts with your world view. Easy peasy.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 02:18PM

Had one of "those" conversions with my cousin who like me is in his sixties.
Me: did you get vaccinated?
him: No, I know someone who got the shot and then got covid
Me: Hmm, did you get a flu shot?
him: No,I got the flu shot once but caught the flu.
me: I understand but did you get a pneumonia shot?
him: No (wait for it), I had an older friend get the shot and he got pneumonia.

Best just not to engage.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 02:34PM

but I'll get the booster when they tell me to. I also got the monoclonal antibodies.

The mormons are so messed up about their attitude towards gays. They use no logic, no common sense, but do they in any situation?

I have a compartmentalized brain, too. I could NEVER have come this far if I didn't. Sometimes those compartments get triggered and I go through PTSD. Just had that happen a month or so ago. It isn't pretty. I thank the mormons for that.

I don't know how my daughter deals with being mormon being the daughter of someone gay and who she loves and treats well. She has tried to change me more than him, get us back in the church. She has given up unless our names are on the prayer rolls in the temple.

I worked with many scientists and chemists who are still mormon. They had their things they didn't believe. They didn't live all the commandments. I said yesterday that one of them told me that life is a crap shoot and that the leaders wouldn't agree with him, but he is still mormon. He couldn't give me a reason to keep going other than he knew it was the right thing to do. That was just the answer I needed?!?!?!

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 09:32PM

People like that Mormon who doesn’t agree with Mormonism should just admit that he’s afraid of dying and that’s why he’s (or she’s) still TBM.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 02:36PM

I find Mormons and New Agers have more in common than they differ. Both are natural food and medicine enthusiasts. Mormons believe in beings that live near a star called Kolob. New agers believe in all sorts of beings from various star systems. Mormons believe in supernatural powers and believe their Melchizedek priesthood gives one who holds it the same power that God created the universe with. New Agers believe they can tune and hone their spiritual abilities and ascend to higher dimensions.

Anyways the Utah survival product companies do a lot of business with both New Agers and Mormons. Both have gotten ready for a transformation that a certain percentage of the population won’t be surviving.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 02:43PM

But (honest question) what proportion of mormons even know or realize that, as you quite rightly say, they "believe in beings that live near a star called Kolob" or any of the other "deep" doctrine? It's an honest question because I don't know any practising mormons ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2021 02:45PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 04:24PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
> But (honest question) what proportion of mormons
> even know or realize that, as you quite rightly
> say, they "believe in beings that live near a star
> called Kolob" or any of the other "deep" doctrine?
> It's an honest question because I don't know any
> practising mormons ;-)
Actually they got the story wrong. Poor people!
The persons that Joe jr saw were Enki and Enlil traveling from Nibiru to set him striaght.What he didn't see was their space vehicle hovering above them in the clouds.
I am sorry you folks got it wrong but since I am so pure,holy, humble ,modest, and knowledgable I must let you know without reservation that I GOT IT RIGHT!!!
so there

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 08, 2021 11:55AM

Thanks for your clarifications.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2021 02:14PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Thanks for your clarifications.
You are welcome

Date: December 07, 2021 05:09PM

newcomer Wrote:
> But, yet, they’re completely beholden to
> Mormonism. What happened to all that skepticism
> verging on paranoia?

Satan stopping recruiting as heavily as he did in the 80s. He went into religious hedge funds and using his billions to stockpile for his big end of days fight with Jesus.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 11:04PM

Makes you wonder in Jesus and Satan aren't in cahoots, and it's all about the grift.

While they both pretend they are going to release the kraken on each other, they are counting the donations.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 08, 2021 10:35AM

It's all "Good Cop/Bad Cop" and always will be.

Satan's Job is to intimidate people into buying Jesus' after life insurance. The true Dynamic Duo.

Date: December 08, 2021 12:06PM

Money does seem to be the common denominator between good and evil. Both are accepted.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 08, 2021 12:50PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Money does seem to be the common denominator
> between good and evil. Both are accepted.

Wasnt it the "Love" of money that always caused evil their trouble?

Date: December 08, 2021 01:35PM

I don't remember that scripture in the Bible but I do in The Book of Mormon. The biggest difference in love of money between good and evil (Christian/Mormon wise) in my opinion is evil loves money first and good loves money second because it can't have any other gods before its god.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.