Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tread Killer ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 09:00PM

Not that I've searched it out (or if I did I already forgot!), but WHY would the egyptians wrap a dead guy, who seems to have no signifigance to the LDS'ers, in the God-inspired words of Abraham!? Sorta like finding one of those Gobi Desert mummies buried with a copy of 'Romeo and Juliet'.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 09:03PM

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 09:18PM

The latest explanation is that JS didn't really translate from the papyri at all. They just inspired him to get revelation directly, apparently improving his reception. When you remember that he didn't even have to be in the same room with the golden plates while he was translating the BoM, this explanation has the advantage of consistency.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 09:22PM

just how mysterious God is... go figure, like you could call him the father of lies.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 09:54PM

Isn't it interesting how much imagination it takes to keep it sounding plausible?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 10:01PM

JS translating the BOM with a stone in his hat, or using an Egyptian funeral scroll as a medium to get revelation is not plausible. All it does is give them some kind of "answer" that you can't prove didn't happen. Just like you can't prove Santa doesn't have flying reindeer just because it's not plausible.

Posted by: augiedogie ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 11:37PM

What? No Rudolph? Dancer? Prancer? Dixon? Comet? Cupid, Donner and Blitzen?

There goes my Christmas. Next thing, you'll be attacking the Easter Bunny and the Great Pumpkin.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 31, 2010 03:54AM

Orson Pratt 1878

“Have any of the other denominations got this gift among them? Go and inquire through all of Christendom…’Can you translate ancient records written in a language that is lost to the knowledge of man?’ No…the universal reply of the Christian denominations, numbering some 400,000,000 would be that they have not the power to do it…you must give us credit.”

Anyone know of the exact origin of this quote? I couldn't find a reference.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.