Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 25, 2021 09:04PM

My priest quorum advisor was a somewhat pious and arrogant custom home builder.

When I was 20 I got a job working for him as a carpenter, which I already was for a couple of years prior.

In a rush to beat contractual deadlines on some houses, he'd have us work more than 40 hours on some weeks, then work less on the next weeks. On my first check that it happened, I noticed that we didn't get paid overtime for the longer hours week, and I asked him about it at lunch in front of the other guys.

He said that overtime was over 80 hours in two weeks. And I told him no, it was over 40 in one week. He said it wasn't at his company. And being familiar with him, and a person who naturally doesn't shy away from power, I said, "You're cheap."

Then my next check was dropped about 25% on my hourly wage. I asked him what was up, and he said, "There's some things you still need to learn." The things I needed to learn, weren't about carpentry though.

He was very pious, and would ask if his workers paid full tithing (this was Utah) and said that he felt like the lord was blessing us with more work if we paid tithing.

But I guess the lord doesn't ding you if you rip all your employees off.

Or perhaps he does ding you, and you can get out of the hole if you try to get your workers to pay tithing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 25, 2021 11:31PM

Your boss stole from you, DNA.

I taught a class where most of my students were petty-thefters.

I told them an old Jewish saying:

. . . “If you steal something, it will come out of your account, and it may not be your bank account.”

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 09:56AM

Yuck! What a crook!

I hope you found a new boss soon afterward.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.