Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Valued ( )
Date: December 31, 2021 10:34AM

“Don’t Look Up” was not a funny movie. It was too true to life.

After watching how we handled Covid and how we are taking care of climate; after watching the church members’ response to the BS essays; Im not sure society as a whole can rise to the challenge to combat a catastrophic event that would require a response of a untied effort. I'm not sure if enough would even "look up"to even notice the problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 31, 2021 11:11AM

Valued Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im not sure
> society as a whole can rise to the challenge to
> combat a catastrophic event that would require a
> response of a untied effort. I'm not sure if
> enough would even "look up"to even notice the
> problem.
===============================

. . . because you remain still "not sure"

Date: December 31, 2021 11:28AM

There is always hope.

I hope if I fall off a cliff that I will learn how to fly.

Were we not taught that faith "is a hope."

Faith makes some not look up.

Out of site out of mind works?

Date: December 31, 2021 01:19PM

Valued Wrote:
> I hope if I fall off a cliff that I will learn how
> to fly.

Oh, that circumstance definitely qualifies as flying! ;-)
It's just that sticking the landing part . . .
https://cdn.creators.com/147/39503/1821_image.gif

Who knows, maybe there's an entity/power/etc. who will save us . . . a Miracle of sorts https://i.pinimg.com/originals/86/8c/ae/868cae3d3de382607dfea1fe64a7302e.jpg

We are the same creatures from millennia ago that once roamed the African Savanna.
Tribalism is a feature -- not a bug

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2022 03:19PM

>
> Tribalism is a feature
> -- not a bug.
>

I am reminded of the supposed Pink Monkey experiment.   We all 'know' what happened to the pink monkey, and some of us even know/believe that the Pink Monkey experiment never happened, but it doesn't take away from the purported lesson: Don't stand out from the crowd!!

Right now 'differences' in appearance or activity mean so much to you humans as you attempt to interact successfully (or at least with minimal injury) within your desired culture.   Did any of you raise a kid who wandered out of 'the norm' during youth/adolescence?   Wasn't that fun for all concerned?

As I continually prattle on about, Dr. No's observation will remain true, in terms of racial & cultural intolerance, until the Earth is attacked by a race of six-foot-tall, limb-from-limb tearing, baby-eating, hairy, smelly, screaming, drooling tarantulas.   At that point, we will likely be able to finally care not one whit regarding the color or national origin of the other humans in our foxholes.   "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."   Yay for enlightened self-interest!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 31, 2021 11:22AM

I don't have any cheery hopes for the long term future of humanity either at this point. We can't even figure out a way to solve little problems (that have obvious solutions), let alone bigger ones.

I had not heard of that movie. It sounds almost as depressing as real life!

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 31, 2021 12:31PM

It's new on Netflix. My college daughter and I watched it last week. She quickly saw the parallels, plus the Facebook/Elon Musk/Jeff Bezos connection. Produced by Jon Stewart.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 31, 2021 12:58PM

The absolutely terrifying thing about that movie is how close it comes to the way human beings respond.
There is a huge danger to be prepared for and it is totally ignored.
In the early 1920's there were many warning signs of impending doom. They were ignored and the world was devastated by the 1929 depression.
1930,s Adolph Hitler rose to power in Germany and the world ignored the warnings. WORLD WAR TWO!!
The message I got from the movie was
PAY ATTENTION to what is going on around you!
BE Aware!

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: December 31, 2021 04:51PM

And Jonah Hill is not funny to watch. His character is so annoying that it makes the entire movie difficult to watch.

I agree that the movie was not funny. It was a weird mixture of scary and annoying.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 31, 2021 07:58PM

It was never intended to be funny. Do you think global warming, life under surveillance, and willful ignorance to pollution and ignoring global pandemics are supposed to be funny? Then you are the targeted audience that this film is about.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 31, 2021 10:00PM

Serious issues are often addressed through humor, and I think that was the intention behind this film.

But I agree with those who feel it's not very well done. I started to give it a go and fell asleep. Picked it up again, and fell asleep. And again. I'll probably not go for a fourth try at finishing.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 31, 2021 10:35PM

No wonder the myth of the noble savage is so compelling. Ancient peoples must have had some lost secret, or how did they survive?

Human survival is indeed a mystery. For how dumb we are, we should be extinct. Yet life goes on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2021 10:36PM by bradley.

Date: January 01, 2022 10:21AM

bradley Wrote:
> Human survival is indeed a mystery. For how dumb
> we are, we should be extinct.
Don't give up hope!
We're working on it.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:28AM

I actually liked the movie. Was it great, no. The movie was about 15 minutes too long.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 12:03PM

I liked the nude scene when they exited the space ship and the local resident monsters gobbled them up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2022 12:05PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 07:00PM

I really liked it.

My favorite part was when Leo's character has his freak-out moment. It almost scared me. That's how I imagine he really does feel about climate-change and what he really wants to say to people about the situation... you know, before he jumps on a private jet to go party halfway across the earth.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 11:09PM

It's a documentary.

Date: January 03, 2022 08:41AM

Topic of another message site was:
"Why are "the experts" wrong about basically everything?"

I bet that person would go to their barber for brain surgery.

Thoughts and prayers must be the most reliable means of gaining truth.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 12:49PM

They buy cars designed by experts. They watch media designed by experts and powered by a power grid designed and run by experts (except in Texas - long story). Those experts they trust just fine.

They pick and choose which experts are "almost always wrong". It seems to be the experts that are wrong will require people to do something if the experts are right, and what they are right about can be ignored in the short term at no great personal peril. You know, climate change, covid, stuff like that.

Your car, OTOH, you want to work reliably Right Now.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 11:07AM

It wasn't a movie. It was a mirror. And that is why it isn't funny.

Reminds me of sometimes when I look in the mirror, and the disturbing thought that comes to mind now, is, "That can't be right!"

Shame the people who need to see their reflections just won't.

90% of the world are the problem. The 10%* would have a better chance of getting the Mississippi to reverse direction than to change the ugly course of humanity that has politicized EVERYTHING.

*Pardon my extreme optimism that there are even 10% who are worthwhile.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 04, 2022 02:50PM

Watched it the other day and enjoyed it. Sad commentary on the times we live in, but I found it quite funny, in a nervous laughter sort of way I suppose. Lots of good lines you have to catch or you'll miss them.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 05, 2022 02:05AM

New Covid variant suspected in France!

https://www.foxla.com/news/new-covid-19-variant-named-ihu-discovered-in-france?taid=61d4798ddf9b5d0001e2ea14&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Please maintain (un)social distancing as you queue up for your next booster.

Thank you.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 05, 2022 02:07AM

It's a hoax, though.

Right?

Date: January 05, 2022 08:20PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 08:22PM by caffiend.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 05, 2022 08:26PM

Not to worry. It landed in the Pacific.

https://www.space.com/russian-space-junk-angara-a5-rocket-fall

"Persei reentry confirmed: 2108 UTC over 121W 14S in the South [Pacific]," astronomer and satellite tracker Jonathan McDowell, who's based at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, said via Twitter today.

Date: January 05, 2022 11:04PM

They want to clean up orbiting "space junk." Aren't they the helpful ones! Earnest Blofeld's concept vehicle:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLab/comments/r7ba7r/i_knew_i_recognised_the_design_from_somewhere/

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 05, 2022 02:19AM

We're nearing the end of the Greek alphabet, then the stupid COVID-19 will have nowhere to go.

HA!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 02:20AM by lurking in.

Date: January 05, 2022 08:23PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 05, 2022 03:01AM

Covid-fois gras

You break out in hickies

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.