Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 05:57PM

or did God move away from Kolob to be more like the other Christians?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:05PM

Kolob is a star and ghawd lives on a planet 'near' the star, and so one assumes it's in orbit around Kolob.

Kolob and our earth's Sol are connected. Plus people live on/in our sun. Brigham Young didn't say anything about inhabits of Kolob, but reading between the lines, one assumes that Kolobians and Solarians chat via IMs all the time.

Mormonism is not for the faint of heart.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:21PM

Yes, Joey taught that 6 foot tall Quaker-like people lived on the moon, to ages of about 1000. Not to be outdone, Brigham taught that the sun was inhabited too.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:33PM

BY was always the smart one. How do you falsify solar beings?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:36PM

It was only recently that Mormons stopped getting their own planet. Apparently, they had to scale that back along with meeting house temperatures.

Date: January 01, 2022 06:23PM

Perhaps "planet near the star Kolob" is Reformed Adamic for "heaven"!

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 01:07PM

I wonder what Brian Greene thinks.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:14PM

I doubt it, but who knows.
I haven't heard Mormons talk about it for years. I'm guessing a lot of younger Mormons wouldn't even know what Kolob was except for some vague reference in the Book of Mormon musical.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:19PM

"If you could hie to Kolob in the twinkling of an eye,
And then continue onward with the speed of light to fly**,
D'ye think that you could ever, through all eternity,
Find out the generation where Gods began to be?

Or see the grand beginning, where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation where Gods and matter end?
Methinks the Spirit whispers, "No man has found 'pure space',"
Nor seen the outside curtains, where nothing has a place.

The works of God continue, and worlds and lives abound;
Improvement and progression have one eternal round.
There is no end to matter; there is no end to space;
There is no end to spirit; there is no end to race."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 02:39PM

Written to the tune of the Irish folk song, "Star of County Down," a tune about a beautiful brown-haired girl. It's an odd thing to put a hymn to, but the Mormons have done worse by putting a hymn to "Go Tell Aunt Rhody," "Tramp, Tramp, Tramp," and a couple of others.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 02:03PM

This hymn works best when sung to the tune of "The Beverly Hillbillies" theme song. You're welcome.

Posted by: mahu74 ( )
Date: January 09, 2022 03:21PM

OMG. “If You Could Hie to Kolob” on banjo. I can’t unhear that.

Posted by: vzgardner ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 03:09PM

"...there is no end to race."

Ah-ha; so, that's why they so adamantly oppose interracial marriage.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: January 09, 2022 08:15AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no end to matter; there is no end
> to space;

You would think God would have revealed to some Mormon somewhere that the universe is indeed finite.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:21PM

It looks like “If You Could Hie to Kolab” is still in the hymnal.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/hymns/if-you-could-hie-to-kolob?lang=eng

I wonder if it’s ever sung in sacrament meeting.

Date: January 01, 2022 06:24PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
>
> I wonder if it’s ever sung in sacrament meeting.

Only "with contemplation!"

Date: January 01, 2022 06:26PM

I wonder if it's programmed into the Mormon organ*

https://www.kawaius.com/PDF/LH-1.pdf

* the Morgan ;)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:29PM

If you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 11:32AM

I assume this keyboard instrument is of curios workmanship.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 08:02PM

Do the church leaders ever mention it? No.

Do 99.999% of members absolutely know it is true? Yes.

Welcome to Mormonism.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 09:22PM

One Ward I attended, a preteen girl played the tune 'If You Could Hie to Kolob' on a flute in Sacrament Meeting. It was a very nice performance.
I don't know if a flute is an approved Mormon instrument or if old Packer was rolling over in his grave.
I also suspect that the music, like most things Mormon, is borrowed from somewhere but I don't know that either.

Date: January 01, 2022 11:16PM

At the bottom of the hymn in think it credits the music:

Music: KINGSFOLD, collected by Lucy Broadwood, adapted and arranged by Ralph Vaughan Williams, 1872–1958. From the English Hymnal. Reproduced by permission of CopyCat Music Licensing, LLC, on behalf of Oxford University Press. All rights reserved.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 02:26AM

should be filed under:

WTF was Joe thinking?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 02:56PM

If that building were nestled on a hillside in southern California, it would be the headquarters for some cult. . .

Posted by: Valued ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 05:06PM

Since Kolob is in the Book of Abraham it is an inspired place not an actual place. Don't you know the difference?

"The veracity and value of" Kolob "cannot be settled by scholarly debate"... "The" star's "status as" a place in space "lies in the eternal truths it teaches and the powerful spirit it conveys."

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 10:14PM

Not only does he live on Kolob, but the Kolob gives light to other stars - like ours.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 03:46AM

God doesn't move. It is YOU that must move, and quick! It's a moving Target.

Keep moving!

Move it
Move it

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 12:57PM

Does it matter what delusions of grandeur self identified ‘Saints’ suffer from? I mean, could you possibly BE more arrogant?

Date: January 03, 2022 12:59PM

Well, when one takes note of the competition . . .

Date: January 03, 2022 03:30PM

Mormonism is merely a metaphor for .... something, we're not sure what.

Posted by: s richard bellrock ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 03:44PM

A revelation received in 1843 (D&C 130 7-9) implies that McConkie is mistaken in his assertion that the LDS God has nothing left to learn. “The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim…a globe like a sea of glass and fire…” And one benefit of living on a planet size Urim and Thummim is that it acts as a source of information: “…all things pertaining to an inferior kingdom, or all kingdoms of a lower order, will be manifest to those who dwell on it…” If God has a source of information, at least some of His knowledge is contingent upon that source, and consequently, His knowledge is not infinite.
Further to the place where God resides, LDS scripture actually names the location. Defenders of the faith will try to object that “Mormons do not believe that God lives on Kolob”[xxxiii] but I do not share their confidence in such an off handed dismissal for two reasons.
First, the apologetic response is due to the fact that Abraham 3: 2-3, 16, and Facsimile 2 describes Kolob as the star nearest the throne of God, not the planet. But to be frank, the perceived quirkiness of the “God lives on Kolob” issue is not due to whether Kolob is the name of the planet as opposed to the star, but due to the fact that God lives at a specific, named, location in time and space.
Additionally, I think that the apologist hand waving is too quick to dismiss the idea that Kolob is the name of God’s planet. The above mentioned Abraham 3: 2-3 which calls Kolob a star, also describes “that upon which thou standest” (i.e. the Earth) as being in the same category of things as Kolob. Facsimile 2: 1 indicates that “[o]ne day in Kolob is equal to a thousand years according to the measurement of this earth…” because (Abraham 3: 4) Kolob was after the manner of the Lord, according to its times and seasons in the revolutions thereof; that one revolution was a day unto the Lord, after his manner of reckoning, it being one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest.” This is read by LDS Living (I know, I know. Not an official source of doctrine) as meaning that “Kolob rotates more slowly on its axis.” Defining seasons and days in terms of revolutions/axis rotation is a description of planets, not stars. In order for there to be “days” on Kolob, Kolob would be rotating relative to a light source (its star). Facsimile 2: 2 describes a figure standing next to Kolob, and “holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets…” (italics added).
It is only peripheral to the central point of this essay, but my reading of Abraham is that it does not distinguish between stars and planets, and uses the terms interchangeably. LDS friendly authors have come to similar conclusions,[xxxiv][xxxv] thereby leaving enough wiggle room to make it difficult to conclude with any measure of confidence that Kolob is not the name of God’s planet.
Taken from https://unexaminedfaith.blogspot.com/2019/08/on-non-infinity-of-lds-conception-of-god.html?m=1

Date: January 03, 2022 03:54PM

> Mormonism is not for the faint of heart.

Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 05:11PM

the coordinates so that they can point it in the direction of Kolob and we will now see where God dwells. As a prophet, seer and revelator he has the ability to assist the engineers in setting up the telescope and provide the world with advanced knowledge about God. It would be cool if he could do that but the Church can't even get the eternal temple endowment right since the Church was founded, I doubt he can do this.

Date: January 03, 2022 06:00PM

Mormons I know believe 'Kolob' is the supermassive black hole sun at the center of the galaxy (Sagitarius A*) and 'God' is the singularity at the center of the black hole and every other black hole.

Date: January 03, 2022 06:52PM

Above a certain size, adjectives describing a Black Hole are useless, as well as meaningless.

Have you ever seen a photograph from inside a Black Hole, looking out at the Universe?   Not that it matters; once you've seen one, you've seen them all, or as I cleverly remarked, "Duuuude!!"

Date: January 05, 2022 11:21AM

Yes, in the movie, “Interstellar”, which is about as close as we’ll ever get to seeing what it’s like on the inside of a black hole. If I were still Mormon I’d say to doubters, “Have you ever seen inside of a black hole? How do you know black holes have an ‘inside’? There are theories that we see the world upside down. Our universe exists inside of a black hole and what we think of as a black hole is actually a portal to a four dimensional universe, which projects our 3D universe onto a screen we perceive as an accretion disk around a black hole.”

See Joseph’s Myth makes perfect sense in an upside down inside out bizarre world perspective, if it can be true, it probably is in a parallel universe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 11:23AM by schrodingerscat.

Date: January 05, 2022 12:15PM

Things aren't even true in our own universe!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 06:27PM

"Star Trek" already went to Kolob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnxvKJAv5Ik

It wasn't what they expected.

Be careful what you wish for.

Date: January 03, 2022 10:26PM

We believe ALL THINGS, (That's a lie)
We hope all things...

We THINK We know all things
But really, we know nothing

We think we are the greatest
But we feel the smallest

We don't know where we're going
But want everyone to follow us

Into the LDS abyss! Eternal darkness and secrecy.

Get BAPTISED First! Then learn more about Mormonism!

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 11:43PM

Does God ever leave Kolob to visit Shinehah?

Posted by: sunstoned ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 11:47PM

They are in the process of updating the Hymnal. We'll see if hie to kolob makes the cut.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 04, 2022 12:18AM

My guess is that the younger generations don't know much about Kolob. The church ignores the BoA and has de-emphasized those elements of Mormon theology that are inconvenient either factually or politically.

In short, "I don't know that we teach it; I don't know that we emphasize it."

Date: January 04, 2022 09:12PM

They never taught us that in primary, or boy scuffs, or as a freakin' deacon, in the leaathood, or I was asleep that day, or those days.

I never learned that Mormonism teaches and believes that as a young LDS, in church, in fact, but here on RFM (2011 or so) many years after escaping mormonhood.

That is so ridiculous, that God somehow resides on a distant planet. DOING WHAT? Killing time? What did it do? What does O God do on Kolob, stack boxes?

I hope they don't [still] believe that.
How could they?

Date: January 05, 2022 06:02PM

~ufotofu~ Wrote:

> I hope they don't believe that.
> How could they?

Ummmmmm this is different How? from the rest of Mormonism....

I'll wait, take as long as you need.

Date: January 09, 2022 06:25AM

GNPE Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------

> ~ufotofu~ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

or did God move away from Kolob to be more like the other Christians?

>
> > I hope they don't believe that.
> > How could they?
>

They could be taught differently

Or, if you read my [red] thread
I WAS NERVER TAUGHT about God living on kolob
So... Why would they teach children/ converts today about it? EVERYTHING in 'mormononion' changes. Things get covered up. Uncovered. Buried. Covered up quickly! Made Up. CHANGED. Lied about...

> or did God move away from Kolob to be more like the other Christians?

> ... different How? from the rest of
> Mormonism....

Not different from Mormonism. CORRELATION-
Like, God moved. Or, God is everywhere. Or...
ANYTHING ("different")

> I'll wait, ... > While you're waiting, would you please get me some more water? Thank you.

I don't need time
I'm out of time
Timeless, really

P.S. OP is asking the question, not I.I only provide answers, solutions, advice, thoughts, information, wit, charm, merriment, or points, depending on the situation, time frame, or what's called for, and I make the calls here. PPS If you want to call me on anything, call me first, and I'll see if I'm available. I call 'em as I see 'em. It's what's called for. I just called for a pizza and I ended up here. Weird.

Posted by: Yahyaa ( )
Date: January 09, 2022 02:48PM

He was planning on moving to Sandy, Utah but when they found out they told him he wasn't "high class", so don't come.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.