Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 04:53PM

I've extrapolated this number for an article on the Onion(dot)com's website.  But weirdly enough, the number is sustainable, via at least one serious website, https://www.wired.com/story/astrophysicists-release-the-biggest-map-of-the-universe-yet/

And it is possible that there are galaxies we can't see, and never will, because our combined speed away from each other exceeds the speed of light, or how long it took Hans Solo to make the Kessel run...

Also, Dark Matter is what Spirit Children are made of, when ghawd and a handy wife make sweet, sweet afternoon delight.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NUkhMq_iRo     Just do the science!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 04:57PM

One of my favourite lines from ST:TOS "Balance Of Terror"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T02QXwfJ_yw

"In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more, only one of each of us."

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 14, 2022 01:21PM

"Don't destroy the one named Kirk."

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 19, 2022 07:15AM

1.0×10^10

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 05:10PM

When I saw the topic of this thread, my mind immediately lept to the probable poster. Imagine my surprise when I realized this was the product of a canine rather than a feline mind!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 21, 2022 08:49AM

Me too. Then I realized he was just channeling again.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 05:24PM

What if Mormons in the CK (cuz the lower kingdom dwellers can't) are pumping out all of the spirit babies for the whole galaxy?

Where do they find time to do anything else? It's like every woman is a queen - as in bee hive queen. No wonder Mormons have a thing about bees.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 05:38PM

So, if there are 148 million galaxies and there's only 2 plants in each galaxy that would sustain human life. The SCC needs to crank out 10 to 20 times more worthy members so each can have a world of their own to rule.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 05:48PM

100,004 points for the Star Wars reference. Bonus round: what was the ID of the storm trooper that Han Solo knocked out and stole the uniform of in the same episode?

HH =)

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 09:20PM

A breathtaking 3D Model of 8 million of the closest galaxies in our nieghborhood, Laneakea, (Hawaiian for “Immeasurable Heavens”) with Virgo Supercluster,
Only possible with 21st C super computers and Hubble.

https://youtu.be/rENyyRwxpHo

Looks like a super symmetrical plasma brain, flowing towards the great attractor, pulling everything in the opposite direction of Dark Energy (Lambda), hence the name, Lambda Dark Matter Model of the Universe.

https://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/education/graphic_history/

Date: January 13, 2022 09:39PM

...I didn't laugh once...

How about this, oh Great Cat, what is the place of laughter in your model of the universe?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 14, 2022 12:48PM

god hates laughter and the universe is the god of the Cat.

Date: January 21, 2022 08:51AM

Ironically Erwin S., the owner of the cat was a possible peodophile or at least tendencies there.

Date: January 14, 2022 01:16AM

Well look what the cat dragged in.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/230166/

"The Italian physicist Paola Zizzi, taking the Penrose/Hameroff model a logical step forward, has developed the theory that in the moment of the Big Bang, the universe also acquired consciousness (in the sense of these Platonic ideal structures), which she calls the Big Wow. The immediate implications of this theory are profound, and echo some of the basic tenets (though certainly not much in the way of dogma) of our major religions: that we are all connected; that consciousness exists apart from the purely mechanistic or biological workings of our temporal bodies; that consciousness exists outside of classical space/time; and that when we die, or when our brain activity ceases, to be precise, the quantum information that has accreted through a lifetime of experience does not disappear."

Date: January 14, 2022 01:48AM

If I owned a brewery, I'd market Quantum Pale Lager and Quantum Light(speed).

That's right, brewing for the 21st Century, and straight on till morning!!

Date: January 14, 2022 11:03AM

Don't forget to use the quantum purification crystals that Dan Aykroyd uses to make his Crystal Skull vodka.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 14, 2022 02:15AM

OK, first of all, Great Attractor is a proper name. Show a little respect.

Second, we have already pointed out numerous times that Laneakea and any other clusters are not going to converge at the Great Attractor. The expansion of the universe is accelerating, the net result being that before the galaxies have time to reach the location of the Great Attractor, the region's expansion will be faster than the current gravitational move toward the G.A., and all the clusters currently moving toward each other will eventually be moving away from each other.

IOW, the Great Attractor is not all that great. It's a Dead Attractor Walking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 02:16AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: January 14, 2022 02:35AM

Imma wait 700 million years to see if you change your tune...

Date: January 14, 2022 02:40AM

BoJ, you're no fun.

Date: January 14, 2022 12:14PM

Whaddaya mean, no fun? A bunch of galaxy clusters rushing together, only to reverse and rush away from each other - that’s like a universe-sized bungee jump. Those galaxies will be giggling for billions of years.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 21, 2022 02:01AM

That’s why I believe lightyears are stacked into layers until they fall over and roll backward.

That’s the only efficient way to handle them. Neatness counts.

Exited to fix autocorrect. Autocorrect should be disallowed in the universe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2022 02:05AM by Kathleen.

Date: January 21, 2022 08:53AM

What about worm holes? The donut holes of the universe?

Date: January 21, 2022 03:12PM

They lead to a gigantic pile of missing socks.

Date: January 14, 2022 09:33AM

Not according to NASA
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/milky-way-collide.html

Our Milky Way galaxy is on a collision course with our closest nieghbor, Andromeda Galaxy, in 4-5billion yrs, because they are bothe being attracted to the Great Attractor at 1.4 million mph.
That’s pretty ‘Great”.

Date: January 14, 2022 12:21PM

You were doing ok until you added the part about the Milky Way and Andromeda intersecting because of the Great Attractor. The article says nothing about that. You just made it up, as you are prone to do.

There are YouTube videos, a wiki article, any number of astrophysics journal articles explaining how the clusters now heading for the Great Attractor are never going to actually get there. You keep ignoring that fact, because you think your story is more fun, even if it is wrong. That is the essence of “truthiness”.

Date: January 14, 2022 01:11PM

NASA says it’s the ‘Dark Matter’ around the two galaxies putting them on a collision course.
https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/what-is-the-great-attractor-and-will-it-destroy-us

“Since the Big Bang, the universe has been spreading out in every direction, and it’s picking up speed. The space between galaxies is getting larger every day. Currently, things are drifting apart at a rate of 2.2 million kilometers per hour. Now, you’d think that the galaxies to the left and the right of ours would be moving at the same velocity. You’d be wrong.

What’s slowing us down are enormous clumps of matter. Matter is attracted to matter, which is why we see galaxies form into clusters and superclusters. Even so, that’s still not enough for the calculations astronomers have been getting. Somewhere out there in the most heavily veiled area of space lies a massive gravitational irregularity that has been dubbed the Great Attractor. Over the course of billions of years, it’s been pulling us and all the galaxies near us closer to it.
The Great Attractor is thought to be at the gravitational center of the Laniakea supercluster—of which the Milky Way is but one galaxy of 100,000 others. One theory is that it’s a confluence of dark energy. Another is that it might be caused by over-density, an area of dense mass with an intense gravitational pull.

Whatever it is, it’s powerful enough to overcome normal dark energy, the force that’s believed to push galaxies on and cause them to pick up speed as they move forward. Dark energy is thought to comprise 71% of the universe. Unfortunately, scientists have no idea what it is.”

Date: January 14, 2022 03:29PM

It's my understanding, based on courses taken at the College of YouTube, that no certainty exists regarding the "motivation" for the milkyway candy bar Galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy to "crash" into each other, a process that some say is already in progress.   The role played by the Great Attractor (as interpreted by Gal Gadot) is unknown.   Eventually, we become the Milkomeda Galaxy . . .   Not gonna lie to ya: it could get messy!

The Cat seems to imply that the Great Attractor is sorta like a big cube of very high-density material against which the Earth is going to go 'SPLAT!"   But the Cube is SO BIG that our SPLAT! will go unnoticed, and unheralded.   

From the article The Cat cites:

"What astronomers know for sure is that our galaxy and all of those in our supercluster are headed toward the Great Attractor.    NO   ONE   REALLY   KNOWS   WHAT   THIS   MIGHT   MEAN   or if our planet is in any eventual danger.   Astronomers say, it’ll take a few years before we know more about this anomaly.   Some astronomers don’t consider it a threat, while others posit that all galaxies and clusters are clumping into greater and greater superclusters and that this may be how the universe ends, as part of what’s called the Big Crunch, which could theoretically be followed by another Big Bang."

Blah blah, The Cat, blah blah...

Date: January 14, 2022 04:28PM

Interesting that EOD, in the post above, in spite of humor and exaggeration, is more factually correct that Da Cat.

Here's a Youtube vid that points out that most of the galaxies moving toward the G.A. will never actually get there. I picked it only because it is the shortest one I could find. I didn't want to spend to much time looking for the exact moment when the video pointed out that the expansion of the universe is accelerating faster than the Attractor is drawing in surrounding galaxies. The longer videos on the G.A. make the same point, one which you have yet to refute, or even directly respond to, BTW. You keep changing the subject slightly and going off on another tangent that misses that particular point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg04zx39yms
FF to 1:30 if you are in a hurry to get to the heart of the matter.

As long as I have your attention, another pet peeve of mine - you, and to be fair, some of the articles you cite, keep saying things like this:
"Currently, things are drifting apart at a rate of 2.2 million kilometers per hour."

I guess that indicates the poor quality of the science writers on the internet.

This is an absurd distortion of reality. As best as I can figure out from the context of the article you cited, the Milky Way is drifting toward the Great Attractor at 2.2 million KPH. That statement may or may not be correct, but at least it makes sense. A particular velocity can be assigned to two objects. It is possible to measure the relative velocities of the two objects, and determine how quickly they are moving toward each other.

OTOH, to say "things are drifting apart at 2.2 million KPH" without specifying how many things, and which things, makes no sense. Your statement has zero context that indicates what things you are talking about. Even within the Milky Way, which is rotating, one side is moving toward the Great Attractor at a different velocity than the other side. All the other galaxies are moving toward the Great Attractor at different velocities. It is physically impossible to have a bunch of galaxies all moving apart or toward each other at the same velocity.

When you drive down the street, cars going the same direction as you are moving slowly relative to you. Cars coming head on are moving quite quickly relative to you. Cars at other angles are also traveling at various velocities relative to your car. Sheesh.

Oh, and one final thing. Andromeda and the Milky Way are indeed moving toward each other. They will eventually pass through each other. The Great Attractor has nothing whatsoever to do with this. If they are both being pulled to the Great Attractor, they will both be pulled in near parallel lines. If you drop two balls from two adjacent buildings, the balls are not going to hit each other on the way down to the earth, unless something else pushes one or both of the balls sideways.

That's basic fifth grade physics, like baking soda volcanoes.

Date: January 14, 2022 04:41PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
--------------------------
>
> Interesting that EOD, in
> the post above, in spite
> of humor and exaggeration,
> is more factually
> correct than Da Cat.
>

Sure, go ahead and set an impossibly low threshold. . .!

Date: January 14, 2022 04:56PM

We all know you're not the sharpest shiv in the cell block.

But don't sell yourself short. You could definitely make it as an internet influencer.

Date: January 14, 2022 05:10PM

I want to skip all the work and effort and go directly to internet affluence!

Date: January 14, 2022 05:15PM

I don't think that can happen until your mom gets out of jail and USC lets you back in.

Date: January 14, 2022 08:14PM

How do we know time isn't shrinking rather than the Universe expanding?

Date: January 14, 2022 08:51PM

So, eventually 'boredom' will cease to exist?

Posted by: unnown ( )
Date: January 19, 2022 11:00PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do we know time isn't shrinking rather than
> the Universe expanding?

I thing that is a VERY good question.

I'll add this.

and if the Universe is expanding and the expansion is accelerating. what happens when the rate of expansion at the planck limit exceeds the speed of light?

Date: January 19, 2022 11:39PM

>
> and if the Universe is expanding
> and the expansion is accelerating.
> what happens when the rate of
> expansion at the planck limit
> exceeds the speed of light?

There's a furious logical tussle involved in saying that nothing can travel faster than light! Here's a 'scientific' explanation:

"...the faster something travels, the more massive it gets, and the more time slows – until you finally reach the speed of light, at which point time stops altogether.  ... And so nothing can travel faster than the speed of light."

A lot of things travel at, or approaching, the speed of light, and certainly none of them look the least bit massive.

Back in the earlier years of drag racing, some scientists stated, and had the math to prove it, that no human could accelerate fast enough to go faster than 225 mph from a standing start in a quarter mile. (I don't recall the exact mph figure, but the 'scientists' were incorrect.)

So either your question is frivolous, because time stops and without time you can't have a miles per ____, or we throw out what science currently states and figure that from behind the light-speed-plus galaxy, it will have appeared to disappear, which also has problems, and from in front of it, you're gonna see a Redshift the likes of which has never been see before.

And how about this one:  Two Ford Galaxie 500s moving away from each other, each at 3/5s the speed of light... You can forget emailing anyone you know in the other Galaxie 500!

Posted by: unknown ( )
Date: January 19, 2022 11:49PM

Thank you for your time to reply.

I had not thought about it, and I actually said exceed the speed of light.... ooof.

Assumptions were made (that if it is expanding, will it continue to do so?)

Needless to say the head death will happen long before that would be any issue.

About the Galaxy 500..... my folks had one when I was little. I swear my dad DID go 3/5 the speed of light. Fond memories. Whenever I see the newer jeeps with the X square tail lights it reminds me of the tail lights on our old Galaxy 500.

Date: January 19, 2022 11:49PM

Heat death.... not head death..... as in heat death of the universe.

Date: January 20, 2022 12:03AM

> I had not thought about it,
> and I actually said exceed
> the speed of light.... ooof.

Not a problem!  That's why tachyons were 'discovered'...

"A tachyon or tachyonic particle is a hypothetical particle that always travels faster than light.  Physicists believe that faster-than-light particles cannot exist because they are not consistent with the known laws of physics.  If such particles did exist they could be used to send signals faster than light."
--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

I think it's obvious that mormons believe in tachyons...  Holy McGhost HAS to be a tachyon!  The other two, E & J, can actually alternate their physical states, between tardyon and tachyon...  I think that's in the bible!

Date: January 20, 2022 02:53AM

You know what's interesting. The more I learn about entangled particles the more I think there may be some kind of intelligence (god?) behind the natural universe.

Date: January 20, 2022 03:11AM

You've presupposed that ghawd is natural?

Presupposed, ghawd & natural are all words of art, which under my definition means we each have our own definition/notion.

Human conversations among friends are easy, forgiving...

Conversations between strangers are difficult.

Date: January 21, 2022 06:45AM

Every elementary particle could be entangled in some way, for example other than spin which is something we can measure, from the instant of the Big Bang.

The reason the dead can travel any distance instantly by thought is that time is not actually real. So what is time, but an artifact of consciousness? Wouldn't that make all matter conscious? Suppose that a conscious observer is required for wave function collapse. The presence of matter is sufficient due to this omnipresence of consciousness.

This is why God is in the realm of poets. We are thoughts in the mind of God, all is God, and God is in all things. Even in Joseph Smith's restless loins.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 14, 2022 12:46PM

>> with Virgo Supercluster <<

I'm a Virgo. I wouldn't say my cluster is super, but it is adequate for its intended purpose.

Date: January 14, 2022 03:38PM

That's too bad...   There's a lot to be said for being Riguela*.

*There is no "Riguela" star or constellation; it was invented in 1912, via a consent decree handed down by a New York Supreme Court, of which there are many, in a weird twist of things get named, just for this lame ass attempt at joke, and while you may not appreciate the joke, at least take the time to appreciate that it was a labor of love.   Blame 'sheltering in place' . . .

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 09:37PM

148 million galaxies and who knows how many stars and planets.

Plenty of planets for each TBM.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: January 19, 2022 12:49PM

I thought it was “bee-ill-ions, and bee-ill-ions.”

Date: January 21, 2022 12:38PM

No. It was billy-uns and billy-uns. :)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 19, 2022 12:53PM

148 million galaxies. Imagine all the Gods. And we got stuck with clueless and dangerous Jesus' Dad. Dang!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 20, 2022 01:59AM

Where's Waldo?

er.... Where's Kolob?

Date: January 23, 2022 01:32PM

Closer to 100 Billion Galaxies, according to Prof. Brian Greene

https://youtu.be/MYimxshUK1c

Date: January 23, 2022 02:47PM

I tried to figure it out on my own by taking a sampling of the estimates out there…

But you cleverly trumped me by finding the one person who’d actually counted all the stars!

Well done, well done, indeed!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 02:49PM by elderolddog.

Date: January 23, 2022 03:36PM

He says it’s entirely possible it’s infinite number,
But none of these numbers are within the grasp of human imagination. We have no timeframe for those size of numbers.

But Google says 100billion to 200 billion, so that was on low side.

We’re finding more and more all the time.
100yrs ago the “universe” was about as big as the Milky Way galaxy.

https://www.space.com/25303-how-many-galaxies-are-in-the-universe.html#:~:text=All%20in%20all%2C%20Hubble%20reveals,%2C%20Livio%20told%20Space.com.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 03:39PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: January 23, 2022 03:43PM

>
> 100yrs ago the “universe"
> was about as big as the
> Milky Way galaxy.
>

...and then BAM!, puberty~!!

Date: January 23, 2022 06:02PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > 100yrs ago the “universe"
> > was about as big as the
> > Milky Way galaxy.
> >
>
>
> ...and then BAM!, puberty~!!

BAM better telescopes and computers.

Date: January 23, 2022 06:26PM

El Gato said:
>But none of these numbers [148 million, 100 billion] are within the grasp of human imagination. We have no timeframe for those size of numbers.

True that a lot of people are not good at visualizing very large or very small numbers. I have posted here before a handy yardstick for visualizing large numbers.

A US $100 bill (and in fact all US bills) weighs about 1 gram. A bundle of 100 bills from a bank weighs just under a quarter pound. BTW, that bundle would represent ten thousand dollars, which is the amount that banks have to report the transaction to the feds because it looks suspicious as being a drug money transaction. So if you win the lottery, you might not want to be handing out bundles of hundred dollar bills to family and friends. Just sayin'

But I digress.
A million dollars would be a hundred bundles of $100 bills. That would fit in a carry-on bag or "book bag" size backpack.

A billion dollars would be a thousand carry-on bags of hundred dollar bills. That could fit in a tractor trailer. There would still be room left in the trailer, but it would be pretty close to the weight limit.

A trillion dollars would fill a 100 car freight train. Maybe 120 freight cars. Whatever. About a full trainload.

When it comes to amounts of money, low trillions are about the biggest numbers we will need to deal with. That's a spectacular amount of money, but a freight train full of hundred dollar bills is something we can visualize.

Oh, and yeah, there are way more than "up to 148 million galaxies", but hey, if The Onion is the source, I'm willing to overlook that the number is missing three or four zeroes. ;)

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 25, 2022 11:00PM

148 million and we will never visit a single one much less leave the solar system.

We are not alone however, space is so vast that no other species is ever traveling to see us here on earth either AND they feel alone on their spec of dirt held by gravity in their solar system.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.